Games > TSoG

What are Spirits made of

<< < (4/18) > >>

SmartyPants:

--- Quote from: SteelFist on February 26, 2012, 07:27:18 AM ---A placebo effect would be as effective as the real thing; to use your argument, their mind makes it real. And corporeal opponents aren't affected by blood loss, nor damage to vital organs (until they die). And infection doesn't play a part in battle, just in whether or not they survive a wound afterward.
--- End quote ---
What about getting backstabbed?  The reason backstab damage is worst then regualr damage is because the enemy doesn't know they are going to get hit untill they are hit.  If you are unaware that you are getting hit, then how will the placebo effect work.

I am going to assume that my theory is best since you guys have gave up find fault in it.

Steelfist:
Presumably, the extra backstab damage could be attributed to the sudden realisation that they have been backstabbed, and the ensuing belief that they are gravely injured. Possibly even a panicked assumption that a terrible wound has been inflicted.

Smartypants, assuming your argument is best because no-one has yet argued with it is a flawed conclusion at best; for all you know, all others percieve your argument to be beneath contestation, rather than above it. For the record, I am not saying this is the case; merely that your line of reasoning was faulty. And, in any case, it was most likely an attempt to get a person to reply to your argument. So I will.

If liquid psy energy can be percieved with your mind, why can spirits only be seen once you know their name?

SmartyPants:

--- Quote from: SteelFist on February 26, 2012, 01:52:21 PM ---Presumably, the extra backstab damage could be attributed to the sudden realisation that they have been backstabbed, and the ensuing belief that they are gravely injured. Possibly even a panicked assumption that a terrible wound has been inflicted.
--- End quote ---
That is alot to assume that spirit will always know that they were backstabbed.  You would be assuming that an assassin draw attention to himself during his attacks or that it noticable be hit by arrow from a distance.  Without feeling something real, I don't know how someone would know they are being hit.

--- Quote from: SteelFist on February 26, 2012, 01:52:21 PM ---If liquid psy energy can be percieved with your mind, why can spirits only be seen once you know their name?
--- End quote ---
Psy energy is a creation of the mind, so the only way to view the spirit is to see it with one's mind.  By knowing the spirit's name, one's mind is open to seeing the spirits.

Steelfist:
Hmm. I suggest a more refined alternative. Given that Psy is energy, to percieve it you must be attuned to a particular wavelength. Because fleshy or shadowy beings have their thoughts generated by the same apparatus, the wavelength is the same for each member of the species. But without flesh imposed thought, the wavelength varies between spirits, affected by their perception of their self and their way of thinking. Duvalier can pick up the name because it is broadcast, and with it he attunes himself to their mental pattern.

In any case, the problem with your theory is that it does not take into account that the spirits shouldn't need bodies at all; if it can exist independently of the body, which it must to be able to use psy to create a body, why does it make itself vulnerable by creating a body at all? Habit? No, as that kind of power would have to be focused - creating a body out of a mind shield and energy would take power and concentration.

Ertxiem:

--- Quote from: SteelFist on February 27, 2012, 11:13:14 AM ---Mmm-hmm. No. Luca uses an awful lot of power for an extension of Duvalier's mind. She has the power to manipulate souls and raise the dead. If Duvalier had that kind of ability, I'm sure he would have noticed. It's the kind of thing you pay attention to.

--- End quote ---
This is also a good point into this thread.
I would like to add that if Luca is a product of Duvalier's mind and psy ability, the trainer would probably warn Duvalier that he could do the things he already does without the necessity to create Luca.
On the other hand, how close are Cygnus' duplicates to a ghost?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version