Games > TSoG

What are Spirits made of

<< < (8/18) > >>

Ertxiem:
If we assume that spirits are creations of psys, instead of dead people, why can Luca be a creation of somebody else than Duvalier? Set, for instance - in this case, Luca could be a subconscious creation that does things that Set forbids himself to do but may feel the desire to do.

SmartyPants:

--- Quote from: Ertxiem on March 01, 2012, 11:35:17 AM ---Since spirits are creations of psys, instead of dead people, why can Luca be a creation of somebody else than Duvalier?
--- End quote ---
Luca has to be the creation of Duvalier, because Duvalier's choices are the ones that decide Luca's personality.

--- Quote from: Ertxiem on March 01, 2012, 11:35:17 AM ---Set, for instance - in this case, Luca could be a subconscious creation that does things that Set forbids himself to do but may feel the desire to do.
--- End quote ---
We don't know who created Rajav, so it is entirely possible for the shy, pacifist Set to have created Rajav to do things Set can't will himself to do such as hurting people and talking to women.

Zackirus:
If Luca is a creation of Duvalier, then why does she depart the earthly realm at the end of TSoG? If it were truely the case that she was Duvalier's Psy Energy, then she should remain on earth until Duvalier himself dies, as it says in The Spirit Within. Even more so, if she isn't dead in the first place, where exactually is she going?

Also: just because one can affect a spirit, does not mean that one is the creator of it, I mean, Duvalier can convince Azuma that his name is Zalam, does that mean that Duvalier made him too?

I'm not saying which theory is right or wrong (perhaps they are leftover Psy Energy from deceased telepaths :P) but I will point out that neither side has any solid proof.

SmartyPants:
Where is this so called "proof" that spirits are the people of the dead?  The Spirit Within says directly what spirits are and gives a direct explanation to Luca's sudden change, while there isn't anyone who says spirits are dead people besides spirits who barely known their own names and Baz who has never seen one before.  I am amazied that anyone would find the scholars who wrote The Spirit Within to be more suspect than Luca, the ghost who forgot her own husband's name.  After Duvalier asks Luca what she is, Luca answers, "I do not know. I was once like you, I think..."

Chocobo_Fan:
The point Zackirus was trying to make is that there isn't conclusive proof for either side. You could believe either interpretation, both are equally valid. Stop trying to pass off your interpretation as objective fact. It isn't.

There is an alternate possibility for Luca's personality shift; she gives you one herself if you preserve her original personality. If, for the sake of argument (please take note of my wording there, SmartyPants), we assume that spirits really are the spirits of dead people, then we can still see that they forget memories of their past life over time. Their sense of self is very tenuous, as we can see with the various spirits sprinkled throughout the setting -- and, indeed, very old ones (Greater Ghosts) have forgotten their past selves entirely, and have become nigh-unintelligible. Acting -- taking on a false personality -- is therefore dangerous, as something with so tenuous a personality can easily convince themselves (or be convinced) that they are someone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version