News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What are Spirits made of

Started by fourinone, February 24, 2012, 07:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziz

Quote from: bugfartboy on April 22, 2012, 08:40:53 AM
Nice theory. My question is: Wouldn't that make it mental damage?
maybe it is like permanent psy power and does what duvalier does to make the lever move while staying far away from it. :)

Steelfist

Quote from: fourinone on February 24, 2012, 07:13:55 PM
I think it would make more sense if the spear were real, and he were handling it with telekinesis.

First post.

SmartyPants

Quote from: aziz on April 22, 2012, 08:14:57 AMIt could be that rajav's spear is just psy power and when it touches the enemy's brain thinks it is being hurt.so the spear could be just psy power in the shape of a spear connected to rajav.
If it attacks the brain then why would it do less damage to spirits, and do no damage to greater ghosts?

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 04, 2012, 05:55:28 PMMaybe the liquid that spirits are made of have a higher freezing point than water.  That means that spirit wouldn't have to make itself very cold to be solid.  If the spirit weapon isn't below below 0 °C, then it won't do cyro damage.
Does no one want to address this?

aziz

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 22, 2012, 06:48:20 PM
Quote from: aziz on April 22, 2012, 08:14:57 AMIt could be that rajav's spear is just psy power and when it touches the enemy's brain thinks it is being hurt.so the spear could be just psy power in the shape of a spear connected to rajav.
If it attacks the brain then why would it do less damage to spirits, and do no damage to greater ghosts?

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 04, 2012, 05:55:28 PMMaybe the liquid that spirits are made of have a higher freezing point than water.  That means that spirit wouldn't have to make itself very cold to be solid.  If the spirit weapon isn't below below 0 °C, then it won't do cyro damage.
Does no one want to address this?
I changed my theory a little in a post to bugfartboy.the spear is psy power which is shaped permanently like that and does what duvalier does to push levers from far away.So it deals damage on the basis of how much force Rajav applied.spirits are just psy power it is explained in the game.Either psy imprints of some one who died or the consience of a psy.How could psy power be liquid, solid or gaseous?

Steelfist

Quote from: aziz on April 23, 2012, 01:05:50 AMthe spear is psy power which is shaped permanently like that and does what duvalier does to push levers from far away.

Telekinesis.

I suppose it might work.

bugfartboy

Quote from: SteelFist on April 23, 2012, 10:52:05 AM
Telekinesis.

I suppose it might work.
Agreed. Seems realistic enough. For a game where there's dragon-esque creatures and emotion drinking balls of smoke, that is. :D

SmartyPants

If the spirits' melee attacks are just telekinetic attacks, then why are does strength instead of psy power determine the damage of Rajav's attack?

ArtDrake

Because... spirits don't actually have physical strength, but rather are merely projecting onto themselves traits they had whilst alive, and thus when they think they are physically stonger, their assuredness of their own strength leads them to have greater powers of physical telekinesis while they are performing tasks which would require physical strength?

SmartyPants

That doesn't make any sense.  Strength effects melee damage and psy power has no effect on melee, so you conclude that Rajav uses psy powers instead of physical strength?  Have you heard of the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Also, evidence says that spirits can't be souls of the dead, so spirits were never "alive" in the first place.

ArtDrake

All I'm saying is that if Spirits are physical manifestations of a former human or a telepath's subconcious, then it would make very little sense for them to have literal strength -- after all, what is strength but the amount and condition of muscle fibre in the body, and by extension the ability of mitochondria to manufacture ATP from glucose through complete respiration? -- but do spirits eat? No.

So, I turn to Sherlock Holmes on this one: "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"

And yes, of course I've heard that other quotation. What kind of Duck would I be if I hadn't?

aziz

Quote from: SmartyPants on May 04, 2012, 05:16:18 PM
If the spirits' melee attacks are just telekinetic attacks, then why are does strength instead of psy power determine the damage of Rajav's attack?
Rajav does not use telekineses the spear is telekineses connected to Rajav's hand Rajav does not use it with his psy power he uses it by his hand so how much damage the spear i.e telekineses does depends on how much force Rajav applied.

ArtDrake

It's just... the biological workings of the spirits, if they have any, seems significantly different from that of living humans to the point where I'm not 100% sure there's a direct homology or analogy for strength as it's understood in humans.

SmartyPants

Maybe I am just dense, because I still have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Spirits aren't as tangible as other races, yet they closely resemble humans.  The spirits appear to have arms that look like human arms, and they seem to swing melee weapons the same way as humans.  Since spirits' arms look and act the same way as human muscles, it wouldn't be a stretch to think spirits have muscles somewhat similar to humans.

ArtDrake

Nah, you're not dense. I'm the one that's not making sense. And aziz appears to be agreeing with you.

I was just having trouble getting over my basic idea that spirits are not dynamic beings, and were rather static in all but their minds with respect to their former self. That is, they could think original thoughts, and improve their ability to concentrate, but couldn't change their appearance in any way.

But if I think of them as, like The Spirit Within suggests, dynamic projections of the telepath's subconscious, then the whole matter of Rajav gaining physical strength makes more sense to me.