News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Online games?

Started by ArtDrake, June 16, 2012, 10:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

So, I was wondering if there was any interest in forum members getting together to play other games (if that idea isn't blasphemy), against / alongside each other [at least until Telepath Tactics is up for playing]. I'm pretty much not in a position that's good for buying games, so for the moment it would have to be something free if I were to be involved (TF2, Blast Rage, Ace of Spades ...), and I know Buggy plays Minecraft (or at least I thought he did), and I'll maybe be getting that at some point. Duskling had mentioned Quake Live, whatever that is.

So, what do you think?

Duskling

Sounds fun!

I even have a game in mind: Legions: Overdrive. It's free, and doesn't require a very advanced computer or gaming parts. Even if your computer is a bit under the requirements (Like mine), you can get a mod that lowers quality at their forums (Here is the mod and all the directions for mod setup).

bugfartboy

Buggy definately plays Minecraft. I'd be up for it, as long as it didn't require any downloading and installing. I don't have much control over my computer that way. :/ But sounds like fun! :)

ArtDrake

Well, now we've got a bit of a problem, since Duskling, your game sounds download/install-y, and that's not a point of interest for Bugs over here, so either Dusk and I do one game, and we all do a different game, or we can just think of one good online game to play. I know that Ace of Spades is a fun voxel fps that only takes about a 5 mb download, and it's not particularly noticable when it's not running, so Bugs, you could probably put in in some obscure file on the C drive and no one would be any the wiser...

but if you actually don't have user privelages to download files to disk, then that's a different problem. Anyone know a good java or flash game that's multiplayer? Starfighter's dead, Runescape is just a grind-fest... (and I need a good game...). I've been trying out a flash game by Xgen Studios called Blast Rage Online, and it's pretty fun. Mochigames makes some multiplayer games, but they're, for the most part, Atari and Nintendo ripoffs and not all that fun. I found a multiplayer roguelike called Tomenet (ASCII graphics, permadeath, tile-based play...) but it also requires a small download (1.5 mb). [It's based on Lord of the Rings sort of idea, with orcs and balrogs and goblins and suchlike, if anyone's interested.]

There's Realm of the Mad God, which is pretty fun for a flash game -- it uses pixel art and a big class system to keep ya playing, and playing in groups is definitely advantageous.

Do any of these sound good? And Duskling, I'll be sure to check out Legions: Overdrive, though I'm not sure it'll be exactly my cup of tea.

Duskling

Quote from: Duckling on June 18, 2012, 01:28:16 AM
Well, now we've got a bit of a problem, since Duskling, your game sounds download/install-y, and that's not a point of interest for Bugs over here, so either Dusk and I do one game, and we all do a different game, or we can just think of one good online game to play. I know that Ace of Spades is a fun voxel fps that only takes about a 5 mb download, and it's not particularly noticable when it's not running, so Bugs, you could probably put in in some obscure file on the C drive and no one would be any the wiser...
Yeah, I guess I could have thought that one through a little better, huh? Ace of Spades sounds pretty fun.

but if you actually don't have user privelages to download files to disk, then that's a different problem. Anyone know a good java or flash game that's multiplayer? Starfighter's dead, Runescape is just a grind-fest... (and I need a good game...). I've been trying out a flash game by Xgen Studios called Blast Rage Online, and it's pretty fun. Mochigames makes some multiplayer games, but they're, for the most part, Atari and Nintendo ripoffs and not all that fun. I found a multiplayer roguelike called Tomenet (ASCII graphics, permadeath, tile-based play...) but it also requires a small download (1.5 mb). [It's based on Lord of the Rings sort of idea, with orcs and balrogs and goblins and suchlike, if anyone's interested.]
I haven't heard of... any of these, sorry. I'll make sure to give them a shot, though.

There's Realm of the Mad God, which is pretty fun for a flash game -- it uses pixel art and a big class system to keep ya playing, and playing in groups is definitely advantageous.
This game's pretty fun. I even have a character made already, and an alternate character with some items I was planning to trade, but then I ditched it over a month back since it kind of lost its flavor for me.

ArtDrake

Well, you don't have to try these games or anything. I'm just putting out suggestions for games, I guess, but it's kind of hard to find a decent multiplayer game without a download.

I think the only ones worth considering are Legions (but only for Dusk and I, no go for Bugs); Ace of Spades; I would say Tomenet if I knew if you guys knew anything about roguelikes; Blast Rage, but that's still in Beta, and it's a Flash game so the keyboard controls are a bit glitchy; and maybe Realm of the Mad God (it's more fun to play with friends, but if you really are burnt out on it, then it's not a good idea).

Also, this wouldn't be multiplayer, but I know a singleplayer game or two that have seed-based world generation, so if we coordinated with Teamspeak or a voice-only Skype call, we could compete to get the best score on the same map. Probably not as fun as a real multiplayer game, though.

And it's not like you could have known that Buggy can't install things, Dusk.

The websites for the games I mentioned are
ace-spades.com
tomenet.net
xgenstudios.com
realmofthemadgod.com, and
legionsoverdrive.com

bugfartboy

Legions overdrive could still be a possibility. I'd have to look. Sometimes my computer allows me to install without Administrator authorization, sometimes it doesn't. But I'd be up for whatever. Don't feel the need to accommodate my electronic disabilities.

Another possibility is we all gather at Ducky's house and play battleship hot-seat style. :P :3

ArtDrake

Well, I can't tonight. My mum's out playing bridge, and I'm supposed to arrange for company at least a day in advance. Say, Buggy, what kind of games do you like, other than the tactical tile-based RPG and the first-person sandbox game? The only reason I ask is, I'm okay with and okay at first-person shooters, but they're not my favourite. Also: time zones? I'm in US Eastern Time.

bugfartboy

Hard to say. I'm a fan of tower defense games. Anyways, I'm not at home right now, and can't play anything. In general I'm a fan of tactical games. So, what's say we continue this in PMs?

ArtDrake

The Holy namelesskitty

I just saw this, but if it's okay I want in. :3
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

ArtDrake

Yeah, you're welcome to join us. This kinda fizzled out of existence, since we don't seem to be able to find a good free game for us all to play that doesn't require installation or download -- those would appear to be requirements we would have to meet for at least Buggy to be able to join us. If we didn't necessarily include him in this [sorry, Bugs. Good news -- I'll probably be getting Minecraft maybe in a couple of weeks or so, so maybe multiplayer, eh?], there are potentially lots of games we could play, including Ace of Spades.

The Holy namelesskitty

ace of spades is not available on mac, I tried but couldn't get it to work

ArtDrake

Aw... my bad. TomeNet? It's a multiplayer roguelike. Might not be your cup of tea, though. It definitely works on Macs; that much I know for sure. And it might very much be your cup of tea.

The Holy namelesskitty

I'll check it out thanks ;)