News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Gun Control

Started by SmartyPants, December 21, 2012, 06:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deagonx

Trying to turn Gun Control into another prohibition will absolutely not work. Unlike alcohol, it is not consumed. The thousands, millions, hundreds of millions of guns around are not going to go away. Turning the Sandy Hook event into a gun control scapegoat is ridiculous. Does anyone truly believe that he would have not found another way to acquire fire-arms, or kill those children? It is a tragedy, but not a good example of why gun laws need to be stricter. Gun laws were broken in this instance, and changing them would not have kept him from illegally acquring those guns. I know several people capable of hand-manufacturing fire-arms from chunks of metal. Guns will never go away, and neither will mentally ill people. In my opinion this is a perfect thing to look at and say "Shouldn't that man have gotten help?"
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

So what you're saying is we need a more comprehensive healthcare system that can reach into former blind spots to help people with easily misdiagnosable conditions? That sounds like a great idea!

SmartyPants

The vast majority of gun deaths are linked to poverty and drugs.  Going after guns is trying to treat a symptom of much larger problems.  Instead of using resources on restricting lawful citizens' 2nd Amendment right, we need to focus on teaching kids the ills of drugs and the importance of the nuclear family.

We need to work harder to prevent teenage pregnancies and to have more shotgun weddings.  Young single parents without a college degree will find it nearly impossible to bring in enough income to properly raise a child.  The majority of African American births are out of wedlock, and that is why African Americans are disportionally more likely live below the poverty line.  Since two incomes is always better than one, society needs to shame people into getting married after pregnancy in order reduce the amount of kids in poverty. We need more speeches like Obama's fathers' day speech and Bill Cosby's Pound Cake speech.

SmartyPants

Nine years ago, the then-State Sen. Barack Obama sponsored a bill (SB 2386) that enlarged Illinois's 1961 law by shielding the person who was attacked from being sued in civil court by perpetrators or their estates when a "stand your ground" defense is used in protecting his or her person, dwelling or other property.  At some point, even Obama believed everyone has the right to use a gun to protect themselves.

Deagonx

Quote from: Duckling on July 14, 2013, 04:23:09 PM
So what you're saying is we need a more comprehensive healthcare system that can reach into former blind spots to help people with easily misdiagnosable conditions? That sounds like a great idea!

Well, yes, but it seems like you're being funny and I don't know why.
I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

Does no one take my signature seriously?

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on July 24, 2013, 10:09:25 AMDoes no one take my signature seriously?
I don't, but that is because I blocked the display of signatures a long time ago, because I find most signatures to be boring, repetitive, and distracting.

I do agree that we need to have background checks at gun shows.  While any law abiding citizen should easily and quickly buy any gun they want, background checks are still necessary to prove people are law abiding citizens.  Many criminals get access to firearms by going to gun shows, and I am not okay with that.