News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Wish List for Telepath Tactics

Started by Ertxiem, December 13, 2012, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Cavaliers have only Lance in multiplayer for balance reasons.

SmartyPants

I was referring to campaign characters who are cavaliers that are the ones who need more skills.  The multiplayer cavaliers should remained balanced more than anything else.

Nendrel

It would be great if we will able to move the inventory window.

Piccolo

I wish engineers gained experience for making barricades or bridges...very easy to abuse healers to level so don't see why not let those who wish to grind engineers suffer >.>

JeenLeen

Quote from: Piccolo on October 02, 2013, 04:01:27 PM
I wish engineers gained experience for making barricades or bridges...very easy to abuse healers to level so don't see why not let those who wish to grind engineers suffer >.>

Craig, I know from earlier posts that you don't like easy grinding, but I still think this is a good idea.  It's hard to level up Engineers to keep them comparable with the rest of the party when all they get xp for is their weak attack.  I could see them getting less xp than healers do, if you want to limit the grinding, though personally I like the option of grinding levels.

Likewise, I thought maybe a small amount of xp should be given to Mentalist who use their movement-based psi abilities.  It's usually tactically unwise to send a Mentalist in to do their close-range attack.  It would also make sense to me that you get xp for pushing enemies into hazards, like water or lava; when I can, I prefer to eliminate foes that way, but as I understand it, that costs me valuable xp.  Maybe a section of code that, when you push or pull an enemy, calculates the damage the enemy's new location would cause on the enemy's turn (and if it would be fatal) and awards the appropriate xp to the pusher/puller?  (I can see abuse of that idea by pushing someone into lava via Kinetic Gust, getting the xp for killing them, then pulling them out with a Swordsman or Lizardman or such, so you can repeat it next round.)

Would it be possible to add an 'gain xp' variable to actions, to enable an action to give a set xp?  As I understand it--and I might be wrong--the game engine itself 'knows' to give xp for attacking enemies, killing enemies, and healing, and otherwise you don't get xp for actions.  I understand if you don't plan on using such a variable in your core game, but I could see modders liking it.
(On that note, do you get xp if you fight an allied unit in a campaign, such as in a 2-vs-1 battle?  For healing allies?)

Edit: added idea of push/pull giving xp

JeenLeen

Is it possible to make a unit that has no 'facing' or is facing all directions?  I have the idea for a 'cannot be flanked' character, like a Beholder from D&D, or a creature that is just a sphere of energy and perceives at 360 degrees.

I could see something complicated like having an item created (like a Create skill that creates 'Beholder') and have a script run whenever that object is on the map, damaging nearby enemies... or something like that...  It could be destroyed, but wouldn't be flankable because it's an object, not a unit.  But that's not ideal.

CraigStern

All destructible objects are like this; their facing is always None. See the Spiked Barricade for an example of an object that can damage characters.

JeenLeen

Quote from: CraigStern on October 15, 2013, 11:01:30 PM
All destructible objects are like this; their facing is always None. See the Spiked Barricade for an example of an object that can damage characters.

Is it possible under the current system to have a unit that can take actions and has a facing of None?

CraigStern

I think so, but that character would need to have a movement of 0 and purely non-directional attacks. Any sort of movement (or use of a skill with a range greater than 0) will make the game automatically change the character's facing.

bum_199

i think units that cant be flanked are a great idea. Although i think they should be able to have skills, range, etc. That would allow people to have a unit like a tower with range. I mean i don't see someone backstabbing a tower or building. i know that may not suit the campaign but modders may find it useful.