News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What I think of the game

Started by RaustBD, February 06, 2013, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaustBD

Hey, finished Telepath RPG Servants of God yesterday, it was great, just a few minor criticisms:

1: After Rahel warms up to you, her dialogue options should change, because she still acts incredibly cold towards you after her warm greeting.

2: Halfway through the game, it started to feel a little small. Like, I felt there should have been more characters, like, it wouldn't have taken too much work and it would have added a lot to the size of the game. Currently you can use all but 3 of the game's characters at once, and so really I feel like I'm choosing which ones NOT to use, rather than which ones I SHOULD use.

CraigStern

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, the way Telepath RPG: Servants of God is designed, adding new characters actually takes a ton of work--especially if they have a lot of dialog. That won't be the case in Telepath Tactics, though, thankfully--I learned my lesson there. :)

RaustBD

wow, thanks for replying! I didn't realize adding new characters took so much work. I figured it would just be a matter of making a portrait, working out the stats, and designing a dialogue tree for the main base. Is there something else I'm missing, or is that more work than I imagine it being?

SmartyPants

Quote from: RaustBD on February 06, 2013, 06:20:16 PMCurrently you can use all but 3 of the game's characters at once, and so really I feel like I'm choosing which ones NOT to use, rather than which ones I SHOULD use.
I got the same impression of the extra characters.  I always found it better to spend more gold on a few characters and not waste money on the other three.

CraigStern

Quote from: RaustBD on February 06, 2013, 07:08:27 PM
wow, thanks for replying! I didn't realize adding new characters took so much work. I figured it would just be a matter of making a portrait, working out the stats, and designing a dialogue tree for the main base. Is there something else I'm missing, or is that more work than I imagine it being?

Basically, there are a million portions of the engine where the characters are hard-coded in. On top of all that stuff you mentioned, you need to create the dialog trees where you recruit the characters, you need to create and animate their sprites, develop upgrade paths, balance their stats, code in their training routines, manually add a million little stats to the save game, load game, start battle and end battle functions, and so on. The engine just isn't set up to make it easy to add new characters, unfortunately.

RaustBD