General > Politics

Outdated Voting Rights Act

<< < (5/6) > >>

CraigStern:
Yeah, I don't necessarily oppose updating the formula--in fact, I think it should be extended to cover the entire country. Still, striking the law down in the interim is a disaster for voting rights. IMO Congress needs to act, and quickly.

SmartyPants:
The law needs to be struck down in the interim, because Congress would never get around to updating it otherwise.  Congress had multiple chances to update the formula, but they have been too lazy to do so.  The last time congress actually put the effort into updating the formula was 1972.

I disagree that we should extend preclearance to the entire nation.  Preclearance would be an unnecessary burden on the local, state, and federal government.   In Texas, the vast majority of the preclearance requests are trivial requests such as moving a polling place from a church to a school.  That means we have to wait for the slow, federal bureaucracy to approve the request before we can do any simple task that deals with voting.  Areas without any recent history of voter suppression should not be put through such a burden.  Also, the courts are perfectly capable of dealing with cases of voter discrimination.  I would also prefer the court system to rule what is voter suppression instead of an executive branch that is prone to put politics before rule of law.

Voter suppression clearly isn't much of a problem, because no one in Congress feels this is enough of a priority to even talk about.

CraigStern:

--- Quote from: SmartyPants on September 05, 2013, 05:29:53 PM ---Areas without any history of voter suppression should not be put through such a burden.
--- End quote ---

What areas would those be? (Hint: probably not Texas.)

--- Quote from: SmartyPants on September 05, 2013, 05:29:53 PM ---Voter suppression clearly isn't much of a problem, because no one in Congress feels this is enough of a priority to even talk about.

--- End quote ---

Your faith in the competency of members of Congress to focus on things based on their actual importance to the nation is both touching and naive. :)

SmartyPants:

--- Quote from: CraigStern on September 05, 2013, 09:31:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: SmartyPants on September 05, 2013, 05:29:53 PM ---Areas without any history of voter suppression should not be put through such a burden.
--- End quote ---
What areas would those be? (Hint: probably not Texas.)
--- End quote ---
Your evidence of voter suppression is even more outdated than the formula used by the Voting Rights Act of 1965. You can't claim that Texas still has voter suppression, because there was voter suppression during the Reconstruction period.  This is the same time period that anti-Irish and anti-Italian sediment lead to corrupt political machines in the North.  I wouldn't claim that Boston, Cleveland, New York City, Philadelphia, and St. Louis have issues with corruption due to having corrupt political machines during the late-18th century and the early-19th century.

--- Quote from: CraigStern on September 05, 2013, 09:31:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: SmartyPants on September 05, 2013, 05:29:53 PM ---Voter suppression clearly isn't much of a problem, because no one in Congress feels this is enough of a priority to even talk about.
--- End quote ---
Your faith in the competency of members of Congress to focus on things based on their actual importance to the nation is both touching and naive. :)
--- End quote ---
Did you miss how I complained that Congress has been too lazy to update the Voting Rights Act since 1972?  Also, I never said anything about Congress doing anything about this issue.  I said congress is not talking about the issue of voter suppression. Even though nothing is getting done about gun control, members of Congress constantly talk about it.  On the other hand, voter suppression isn't a big enough issue to even to talk about.

CraigStern:
History of voter suppression implies that it's in the past. If you want something current, look at Texas's voter ID law.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version