News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Continually slowing animations

Started by Roccandil, April 19, 2015, 09:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roccandil

I just bought the game on GoG and have been enjoying it, but now that I'm up to Igor's fortress and bigger battles, the animations (friendly or enemy) slow down continually over each turn until the game is unplayable; turns take a very long time.

The problem looks something like a memory leak (at least in effect). Not sure why more units on the map would cause this, since the game only appears to play one animation at a time anyhow.

Billick

I'm seeing the same thing.  Doesn't look like a memory leak, since it goes back to normal when the next mission starts.

CraigStern

I suspect it might be the weather effects. Do me a favor and try something out: open up the map's file (Telepath Tactics > Data > Campaigns > The Vengeance of Emma Strider > Maps > Bandit Fortress Outer Wall Battle.xml) and try deleting the weather condition line:

<Condition>Weather,Rain</Condition>

Let me know if that addresses the slowdown!

Roccandil

I had already managed to finish that battle, and I was on the next battle where I have to gather apples, and it was slowing down there as well. That one doesn't appear to have weather effects, and I can't figure out what that map is called to check.

Not sure it's as bad as the previous battle with rain, but the slowdown is still significant.

EDIT: Found the map called "Out of Food"; don't see a weather effects line.

Billick

I've also seen the slowdown in several maps that don't have any weather effects.  It seems to get slower the more turns that have passed on a level.  It goes back to normal if at the start of a new mission.

CraigStern

Hm, okay. Thanks for the report. I'll see what I can do about this!

Eldiran

Seconding this slowdown bug, which also first occured for me at Igor's fortress and also happened during the apple gathering battle.

Deatric87

I am also having this issue, Turns begin taking a very long time even with movement set to instant.

I know your working on it Craig, not trying to be impatient :P, just bumping the thread ;).

and Thanks for the awesome game by the way, feeds the Fire emblem cravings perfectly haha.

CraigStern

Thanks man!

So, I'm currently taking care of some major, game-crashing bugs for the next update; I'm aiming to address the slowdown issue in patch 1.03. Hang tight!

Piccolo

This is a game breaking bug that essentially makes this game unplayable in a sense. After about 10-15 turns the fps drops to around 5-10, especially on the bigger maps,  as if the game is struggling to keep going. Weather effects don't have any impact on this. Please look into this as soon as you can. I've got SLI 980s...

Senteria

I had a massive slowdown in that map as well. Partially during the rain but it seemed in other maps i also get big slow downs. Now i know I am not running on a great PC unlike many others. However the poster above me seems to confirm it's not about the graphic card. It generally happens when there are many characters on screen.

TheBouncingBunny

I have an old slow laptop, and I concur that it seems to happen when there are a lot of characters. But weather effects DO seem to affect it as well. The bridge battle took me forever....

Askic

It only happened to me in battles with weather effects too, so it should actually affect it.

Piccolo

Found the reason why the game is slowing down. At the beginning of battle, processing power according to windows task manager ranges anywhere from 170-200mb. After the battle goes on for about 10-15 minutes, processing power is at 340mb. Tested this on the small map battle where you got to pay a fine to pass. No weather effects there, they are not an issue. Seems like a memory leak issue.

Senteria

The bridge battle is indeed taking very long because of the massive slowdown. :(