News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

TPA1 Hero

Started by SmartyPants, March 02, 2010, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which game has the most powerful Hero?

Telepath RPG 1 and 2
Telepath Psy Arena
Telepath Psy Arena 2
Telepath RPG: Servants of God

Frosty

Maybe a second affinity too. You can't know anything yet Zhamphir. I'm probably wrong with the second affinity, but it would sure fill in the spaces.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Zhampir

I'm not claiming to know  anything, I simply said "likely". heck, since it's still in development there is still the chance that the entire project will be scraped..
all I'm saying is that the main in TSoG has not reached his in-game potential yet, and the others have. Personally I don't see the arena fighters being any stronger than the main RPG heros. Perchance Duvalier even becomes the arena fighter himself? Personally I think that would be a neat addition, plus it would add in a lot of game play that is largely all ready programmed, or this could come in with some sort of "platinum" or "game of the year" edition.
Compared with the previous RPGs Duvalier seems to be the strongest. Personally I'm not sure if the Arena's heroes can even be counted as they have largely no back story besides being contestants, and in the end, have no overall effect to the history of Cera Bella.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 11, 2010, 08:39:29 PM
TSOG is not done yet. how many times must I mention this? have you seen the amount of slots availible for attacks? The hero will likely have many new attacks.
Your argument for Duvalier is that he might be stronger latter?  ::)
That means the TPA1 Hero is more powerful now, but Duvalier might be stronger latter.  In other words, TPA1 Hero is currently the most powerful hero.

KZ

Quote from: Zhampir on March 11, 2010, 10:39:42 PM
heck, since it's still in development there is still the chance that the entire project will be scraped..
A tad pessimistic, that! What gives?

There is also the question whether we're comparing the Psy potential of the Heroes, the degree to which they have realized their potential and whether or not we're comparing them all at the peak of their powers or simply at a certain age?
Depending on which criteria you choose, the answer will be different. (Even if people put forth more than one candidate for each criterion, I am sure there will be differences, though overlaps will be present too).
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 14, 2010, 04:11:27 PM
There is also the question whether we're comparing the Psy potential of the Heroes, the degree to which they have realized their potential and whether or not we're comparing them all at the peak of their powers or simply at a certain age?
I was comparing their power in-game. Not their "potential", but the power they have in-game.

KZ

Ok, just to make it clear, we're comparing the Heroes at their most powerful (ie towards the end of the game), without their full realized potential, solely on the attacks their know as-is.
This does mean that the question cannot be definitively answered for now due to incompleteness of TSoG, as the Hero may evolve, learn more powerful attacks, etc.

Under these criteria, the TPA2 Hero is the weakest, with only one type of elemental attacks, coupled with Feedback/Vengeance, and no shields. 6 attacks overall.
TPA1 is a mix-and-mash, he has 3 elemental blasts, knows two area attacks (Pyro Hail and Cryo CRoss), needs an orb to learn Vengeance or Big Shield, but has the basic Feedback and Vencgeance. 8 attacks overall.
TRPG1&2 Main knows the same as TPA2, but needs an orb to boost his Heat Powers, but posses the ability to use Shields. That makes the Main more powerful than TPA2, methinks. Also is limited to fewest attacks: 4 only. Overall, I'd say that ranks lower than the more multi-elemental TPA1 Hero.
TSoG: can learn up to 15 attacks, the most versatile array of shields available without orbs, can learn only one elemental attack (so far), which is the main questioning point, as upon learning attacks of one type, can go beyond any other Hero in the range of applications, including elemental shields (and the big shield version of elemental shields- something TPA2 Hero cannot do). Can also learn Vengence and Feedback without resorting to use of any orb. The only question hanging is over ability to use more than one element in attack: if he can, then he is the undisputed strongest Hero, if he can't, then TPA1 Hero has a pretty good chance as well- not as much depth in any of the areas, but versatility of elemental attacks is very impressive indeed.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 15, 2010, 04:16:00 PMUnder these criteria, the TPA2 Hero is the weakest, with only one type of elemental attacks, coupled with Feedback/Vengeance, and no shields. 6 attacks overall.
You are assuming that the TPA2 Hero is a Psy Fighter.

The only advantages that the TSoG Hero has over the TPA1 Hero are one elemental shield and long shield.
The adavantages that the TPA1 Hero has over the TSoG Hero are two elemental blasts and one elemental area attack.

KZ

Correct, there is no point comparing 3 Psy Fighter type Heroes to a very different class in one of the subsets of one game.

Don't forget Big Shield and Vengance: those are learnable through orbs for TPA1 Hero, not natural talent. Then there are two elemental shields: the small one and the big one. Then  there is Mega Shield as well, plus non-orb assisted  Big Shield.  The big but is that we don't know whether the Hero will be able to learn two types of elemental attacks at once- there is certainly enough space for that. If he does, that will negate one elemental blast and one area attack, leaving only one elemetal blast versus quite a variety of attacks.
So, for now we'll have to wait and see, methinks.
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 15, 2010, 09:05:15 PM
Correct, there is no point comparing 3 Psy Fighter type Heroes to a very different class in one of the subsets of one game.

Don't forget Big Shield and Vengance: those are learnable through orbs for TPA1 Hero, not natural talent. Then there are two elemental shields: the small one and the big one. Then  there is Mega Shield as well, plus non-orb assisted  Big Shield.  The big but is that we don't know whether the Hero will be able to learn two types of elemental attacks at once- there is certainly enough space for that. If he does, that will negate one elemental blast and one area attack, leaving only one elemetal blast versus quite a variety of attacks.
So, for now we'll have to wait and see, methinks.
All the "variety of attacks" are variations of one elemental shield and mind shield.  It is the same shields streched in different ways.

KZ

Yes, but that means that the Hero has skill and finesse that allows him to broaden his ability in one specific area and delve pretty deep into it. Effectively he is able to learn the nuances of each elemental attack. Same goes for elemental blast and elemental area attack- they're varaition on exactly the same thing, except one is slightly larger.
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

In Telepath Psy Arena 2, we see a ton of people are able to make a mind shield into a variety shapes, but we only see two characters able to use multiple elements.  That means it is more difficult to use multiple elements to learn to change the shape of mind shield.

KZ

I definitely agree with that statement. But then I would like to point out that save for Anya and Festus, who knew the most basic and weakest Mind Blasts, most of the human healers (again, referring to the TPA2 Healers) are unable to combine protective shields with elemental attacks and be highly proficient in both. That certainly requires some skill, and TSoG Hero's ability to manipulate both the shileds (4 different varieties, versus 1 for TPA1 Hero) and elemental attacks (4 of those, 2 offensive, 2 defensive, versus 2 for TPA1 Hero) is superior to that of the TPA1 Hero.
Let's put it this way: if in TSoG the Hero will be eventually able to learn two types of elemental attacks, then he will, without a doubt, be considered the strongest Hero, if not, then I do agree that TPA1 Hero seems to have the edge there, with being able to manipulate more elemental attacks, including area attacks, than the TSoG Hero (though there is the issue of him not being able to use Vengeance or anything above a simple Mind Shield- if those factors are more strength, than skill related, then debate can go on, but I do suspect the higher shields and Vengeance simply require more talent and creativity than pure power).
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

I am starting to think that comparing the TPA1 Hero to the TSoG Hero is like comparing Guy to Anya.  Just because the TPA1 has more offensive power, while the TSoG has more defensive powers; doesn't mean one is more powerful then the other.  TPA1 Hero has more offensive power because he has five elemental attacks compared to the TSoG Hero's two elemental attacks.  TSoG Hero has more defensive power because Indigo Orb gives him Titan Shield, while Indigo Orb gives both TPA1 Hero and TRPG2 Hero Big Shield.

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 15, 2010, 10:39:47 PM
In Telepath Psy Arena 2, we see a ton of people are able to make a mind shield into a variety shapes, but we only see two characters able to use multiple elements.  That means it is more difficult to use multiple elements to learn to change the shape of mind shield.
There are three people who can use multiple elements if you think the psy fighter from TPA2's "experienced volunteer team" is a diffrent person from the TPA1 Hero.
Volunteer Psy Fighter/Healer:
*Mind Blast
*Pyro Blast
*Light Blast
*Feedback
*Big Shield
*Frost Shield
*Dark Shield
*Cryo Cross

Duskling

A comment about the poll: The Main from TRPG1 and 2 was a Psy prodigy, meaning that he was already powerful, Duvalier, however was trained to the level of elemental attacks. Methinks the Main from TRPG is stronger than Duvalier, no comment on the TPA1 Hero.

KZ

As I was saying from the beginning, we have to really wait and see the completion of TSoG, before properly comparing how powerful the Heroes are. 'Cause for now, TSoG Hero is only starting to fulfill his potential, whilst TRPG1&2 Main already was at the height of his/her powers. Now that Duvalier has Titan shield, that starts to give him the edge, as you so rightly noted, im2smart4u, in defensive abilities. Ultimately, we'll have to wait and see, though I guess we can all agree on TPA2 Hero being the weakest already.
Welcome to the forums!