News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

A bunch of weird bugs.

Started by captainjack101, May 31, 2015, 03:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainjack101

Found a few weird bugs that no one should ever encounter in a normal play-through, but I love to mess around in mine. First, if you place a snare trap on the ground and then pull yourself into it, you will not get snared. If you then pass your turn and pull someone (remember you're on the trap) onto the trap, then they get snared. Conversely, if you pull yourself into the trap by not pulling anything (if you pull an immovable object, you move backwards but the object does not) then you get snared.

Promoting Sarn Kamina and Silithis both provide weird results. Both of them turned into Caduceus on promotion and Sarn Kamina's sprite turned invisible, while Silithis's sprit did not change. This may be because it took information from the last character I had promote, the psy healer, in some weird bug. I cannot find the logs to save my life, sorry :(

In the battle with Leon Hart the dirt path that leads from the chasm to the mines entrance is labelled dirt in the information box when pressing tab. This dirt has an elevation of 0 but (presumably since it's 'dirt' and not 'chasm') can be leaped on by an assassin without dying, and then upwards across the chasm.

I noticed a potentially unwanted interaction between flying characters and height difference. I understand the mechanic for damage reduction to units on higher ground but thematically and mechanically it seems like flying units should be exempt from this rule since they would be flying at the same height as the unit they are attacking.

Finally, I also have never gotten access to the second mentalist. I have played through the game twice and have never gotten the chance to use him.

ifulmen

What second mentalist?
There is a healer on the islands. A battle when the defender didn't bring enough golems (if I recall correctly). But this one is mainly a healer (quite a good one though), not a mentalist.

captainjack101

This is why it's a bug. The red head that boats you over to the mines is a playable character as seen in one of the monthly updates from the sinister design website. You can also see his data in the playable character section in the games files. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Telepath Tactics\Data\Campaigns\The Vengeance of Emma Strider then character classes and search mentalist and you can find this:

<Char tags="Promotable" pushable="true" exp="0" lvl="7" acc="100" poiRes="0" shRes="0" ltRes="0" cdRes="0" htRes="0" mnRes="40" crshRes="0" slshRes="-30" prcRes="0" psyD="12" psyP="9" per="6" str="2" dodge="0" ctrLimit="0" spd="5" en="30" hp="28" atk8="" atk7="" atk6="" atk5="" atk4="Feedback" atk3="Kinetic Pull" atk2="Kinetic Gust" atk1="Mind Blast" defaultAtkAnim="Cast" onDeath="None" ctr="None" lighting="" charY="16" shadowY="32" shadowType="Small" hurtParticle="Sparks" move="land" classname="Mentalist" sex="Male" race="Human" portrait="Oliver Spenks" spritetype="Mentalist_M" charname="Oliver/Spenks">

<OnLevelUp acc="0" shRes="0" ltRes="0" cdRes="0" htRes="0" mnRes="1" crshRes="0" slshRes="0" prcRes="0" psyD="2" psyP="4" str="0" dodge="0" ctrLimit="0" en="5" hp="3" charname="Oliver/Spenks">8,Mind Control,9,Kinetic Gale,11,Stimulate,13,Kinetic Wave,15,Kinetic Vacuum,17,Levitate</OnLevelUp>

</Char>

Thaecrasis

oh, huh, that's weird; good job for finding that

captainjack101

Also, on the manage inventory screen before the final battle Gunther doesn't appear so you can't give him an axe before the fight like he requests. And Tarion's horns overlap his speech bubble.

CraigStern

Phew--that's a lot of stuff. Thanks for the bug reports!

If it's possible to provide a log from when Silithis promotes, that would help me figure out what happened with her. (With Sarn Kamina, I just assume it's the fact that there is no promotion class for Gasul--I really should have removed off her "Promotable" tag.)

Quote from: captainjack101 on May 31, 2015, 03:44:36 AMIn the battle with Leon Hart the dirt path that leads from the chasm to the mines entrance is labelled dirt in the information box when pressing tab. This dirt has an elevation of 0 but (presumably since it's 'dirt' and not 'chasm') can be leaped on by an assassin without dying, and then upwards across the chasm.

Weird! I just looked in the battle's XML file, and superficially, it looks correct. Got a screenshot?

captainjack101

It just so happens that I have an old save file from the battle with Leon Hart mission since I play on both my laptop and my desktop and this save was floating around on my USB that I use to transfer save files. I'll be able to (hopefully) reproduce these bugs with logs and screen shots within the next few days. And maybe the Siripent bug is because he's a 'Lizardman' and not a 'Barudit'?

While I'm here though I'd like to share a cavalier bug I found. The cavalier bug is kinda weird and easy to reproduce in the battle on the bridge and involves the charge ability. You can charge off and onto higher and lower elevations. To reproduce go to the bridge battle and get close enough to Ebon, but not in melee range, and watch him charge down the cliff or into the water. It also doesn't count as falling like when a character if pushed or pulled off a cliff where the face is showing and they fall the entire distance. It just puts you on the tile and kinda traps you there. I'll try and get a screen shot of it when I do the other bugs.

Kletian999

Charge counts as a ranged attack, so it's given a range/power boost when there's a change to lower altitude between source and target.  I guess it doesn't check for altitude "upward spikes" mid path.

CraigStern

Quote from: captainjack101 on June 03, 2015, 01:27:47 AMAnd maybe the Siripent bug is because he's a 'Lizardman' and not a 'Barudit'?

Oh, Siripent. Yes, of course--that makes perfect sense. I'll have that fixed shortly.

captainjack101

Oh wow, I did say Silithis in my original post didn't I? I totally meant Siripent but I mixed them up, sorry about the confusion. Anyways here is a screen shot of the assassin jumping down the chasm then back up again on the patch of dirt with the elevation details to prove it's 0 elevation. As a bonus you get to see my sweet cropping skills.

CraigStern

Fixed the chasm thing. Certain tiles had the wrong properties. Thanks for the catch!