The Sinister Design Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Author Topic: Linux - hangs on initial loading screen on game start  (Read 989 times)

stewart.webb

  • Ghost
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Linux - hangs on initial loading screen on game start
« on: July 02, 2015, 01:38:28 PM »

Hi I've encountered a bug in the Linux version starting at least v 1.038
(I have now resolved the issue, but wanted to note here so others can find the solution)

Symptoms:
Game hangs at loading screen after starting campaign (entering tactical game view)

Reason:
game cannot find "Rest" or "Walk" image assets - due to case sensitivity of Linux (REST != Rest)

Resolution:
rename -
  ./Data/Characters/REST    to    ./Data/Characters/Rest
  ./Data/Characters/WALK    to    ./Data/Characters/Walk

Hope this helps someone
Stewart
Logged

CraigStern

  • The Creator
  • Administrator
  • General
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3199
    • View Profile
    • Sinister Design
Re: Linux - hangs on initial loading screen on game start
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »

Hey Stewart! Thanks for the report.

That's super weird that that happened--I actually fixed that folder naming issue months ago. Out of curiosity, did you just recently update a really old install to version 1.038 before that happened?
Logged

stewart.webb

  • Ghost
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Linux - hangs on initial loading screen on game start
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:41:02 AM »

Hi Craig,
I did the following:
I started an older version of the game I already had installed (sorry, I can't remember which version) - which prompted me there was an update to download - which I chose yes to. This started the download using epiphany (which is not my default web browser - but C'est la vie)

Once the download completed, I did the following:
Made a Temporary extraction directory
$ mkdir ~/Downloads/TelepathTactics
Unzipped the .air archive into that directory
$ unzip ~/Downloads/Telepath\ Tactics.air -d ~/Downloads/TelepathTactics/
Removed the old game files (probably should have backed this up.. but aww well)
$ rm -rf /opt/airapps/Telepath\ Tactics/*
Move the extracted contents of the .air archive to my airapps directory
$ mv ~/Downloads/TelepathTactics/* /opt/airapps/Telepath\ Tactics/

So it would appear that the incorrectly capitalized file directories come from the .air archive I downloaded (sorry, I can't find a way to see what the URI was in the web browser's history)

Hope this helps
Logged