News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

How do lissit survive in cold environments?

Started by Chocobo_Fan, August 30, 2015, 03:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocobo_Fan

I presume that lissit are cold-blooded, due to their temperature-based elemental weaknesses. With that in mind, how do they survive the trek through the snowy mountains in the campaign? A naked human would quickly catch hypothermia in those circumstances, and that's with producing some heat of their own -- it should happen to lissit even faster.

Depending on how cold the island itself is, this could also apply to Sarn Kamina and Siripent. I guess they spend a lot of time in the sun?

bugfartboy

Don't like it? Mod it so that lissit take cold damage on the colder maps!

Chocobo_Fan

Well, I more assumed there was a canon explanation we could figure out. :p

CraigStern

Quote from: Chocobo_Fan on August 30, 2015, 03:28:59 PMI guess they spend a lot of time in the sun?

In the mountains, they ride inside the supply wagon when not in battle, which is well-insulated (and in Sarn Kamina's case, wear a heavy wool hooded robe). They are able to survive the limited exposure to the cold they experience while fighting up there due to supercooling. I suppose I could impose Slowed status on the lissit all during the fights in the snow to be more realistic, but those battles are challenging enough as-is.

Chocobo_Fan

Oh! I didn't know about supercooling, that's pretty neat. I always wondered how reptiles survived the winter. That does explain how Silithis' troupe doesn't immediately freeze and die.

Quote from: CraigStern on August 31, 2015, 07:09:48 AM
(and in Sarn Kamina's case, wear a heavy wool hooded robe).

How effective would that actually be for a cold-blooded creature, though? The reason insulated clothes are useful for us is because we radiate heat naturally, so there's something for the clothes to catch. Windbreakers and such might slow the loss of heat they've already acquired, but they wouldn't be able to establish a long-term equilibrium. (If anything, I think clothes would actually make them lose heat, since it's an additional heat sink of its own and provides a barrier to external sources such as sunlight. Anything other than a pitch-black bodysuit seems of questionable and circumstantial use.) Personally, I assumed Sarn wore the cloak more for concealment than protection from the elements. I suppose it is possible it's a specially-made cloak that focuses more on blocking cold than trapping heat, though...

(Actually, if we're talking gameplay realism, wouldn't it make sense for Sarn to start with a Fur-Lined Cloak in her inventory?)