News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

v1.044/linux bugs: corrupt saves, item reqs vanish, can't save, others

Started by moskewcz, September 03, 2015, 08:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Okay! it seems like we're making progress here. :)

I'm surprised that you're still getting the push-pull bug in 1.049--I'll take a look at your log / save file soon and see what I can figure out.

moskewcz

1.051 updates:

(2a) persists in my current save. new info: i started a new campaign, and played until emma hit L3 (start of carvan battle) so i could test shove emma->madeline. it worked at that point. but then again, it sometimes worked in earlier versions, until it didn't. so again i'm guessing something is wrong in my save, and it's unknown if whatever caused the (now persistent) issue still exists (but we can hope it's been fixed).

(2b) persists AFAIK. i did the 'upgrade' rather than a fresh re-install this time, so i didn't have to re-create my symlinks, but i dunno that that would matter.

save game is unchanged. logs for (2a) look the same. attached anyway.

moskewcz

on inspiration, i tried comparing the save from my new-started-can-push game to my maybe-broken-one where i can't push to see if i can deduce if there is indeed a persistent 'pushable' attr in the save, and where it is. and it seems like the 'pushable' attribute is the true/false string before 'Promotable'. and indeed, many of my chars in my cant-push-save have 'false||Promotable'. and, sure enough, if i change it to 'true||Promotable' then i can push that char.

so, i'm not sure what else might be wrong in that legacy save, but after editing it seems like (*gasp*) i can try continuing and see what happens. if it doesn't reoccur, then i guess (2a) is resolved. one Q: are there any chars as-of the Forest/apple battle that should *not* be pushable? or that are not promotable (so my search would have missed them)?

(2b) still persists and is game-breaking for linux; i'll recheck it on request, but it seems as simple as a case mismatch between the packaged paths and the hard-coded somewhere in the game.

also, it's not very scientific, but i think the game also feels faster then whatever version i started with long ago.

mwm

CraigStern

Oh, cool! I'm glad that worked. And I have indeed made some changes to make the game run better, so my guess is that the performance boost isn't your imagination. :)

Quote from: moskewcz on October 16, 2015, 10:02:54 PMone Q: are there any chars as-of the Forest/apple battle that should *not* be pushable? or that are not promotable (so my search would have missed them)?

Nope--all characters are pushable!

Quote from: moskewcz on October 16, 2015, 10:02:54 PM(2b) still persists and is game-breaking for linux; i'll recheck it on request, but it seems as simple as a case mismatch between the packaged paths and the hard-coded somewhere in the game.

Check on Telepath Tactics > Data > Characters > Rest and make sure it's not capitalized as REST; I know that that was an issue in a much, much earlier version of the game, though I resolved it months ago, so it shouldn't still be getting capitalized that way.

moskewcz

Quote from: CraigStern on October 19, 2015, 05:02:25 PM

Quote from: moskewcz on October 16, 2015, 10:02:54 PM(2b) still persists and is game-breaking for linux; i'll recheck it on request, but it seems as simple as a case mismatch between the packaged paths and the hard-coded somewhere in the game.

Check on Telepath Tactics > Data > Characters > Rest and make sure it's not capitalized as REST; I know that that was an issue in a much, much earlier version of the game, though I resolved it months ago, so it shouldn't still be getting capitalized that way.

as per my earlier post, AFAIK it has been broken since 1.047 when i first mentioned it. as you can see in the directory listing i posted there, yes, the dir name is 'REST'. i just did a fresh install of 1.051, and here's the listing again:
moskewcz@orihime:~/games/Telepath Tactics/share/Data/Characters$ ll
total 56K
drwxr-xr-x 62 root root 4.0K Oct 20 09:19 Attacks
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  313 Oct 20 09:18 Default Team Colors_palette.png
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Oct 20 09:19 Hurt
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  12K Oct 20 09:19 _Portraits
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  12K Oct 20 09:19 REST
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  232 Oct 20 09:18 Skin_palette.png
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  12K Oct 20 09:19 WALK
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4.0K Oct 20 09:19 zPrototypes

as you can see, still 'REST' as in 1.047 and later versions. and, based on your other comments, i guess it's safe to assume that is incorrect, and should be 'Rest'. again, i worked around this with symlinks, which FYI seem to persist after updates (rather than fresh installs).

CraigStern

Okay! I've updated the Linux installer for version 1.051; hopefully this will fix this in future installs.

moskewcz

moskewcz

okay, i redownloaded the 1.051 installer, and did a fresh install (moved the existing dir out of the way prior to install). (2b) does seem to be fixed:

moskewcz@orihime:~/games/Telepath Tactics/share/Data/Characters$ ll
total 56K
drwxr-xr-x 62 root root 4.0K Oct 28 10:20 Attacks
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  313 Oct 28 10:20 Default Team Colors_palette.png
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4.0K Oct 28 10:20 Hurt
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root  12K Oct 28 10:20 _Portraits
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  12K Oct 28 10:20 Rest
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  232 Oct 28 10:20 Skin_palette.png
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  12K Oct 28 10:20 Walk
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4.0K Oct 28 10:20 zPrototypes

so, i think that's it, you can close this thread. i think i've run into a couple more bugs since i started playing again, but i'll make a new thread for those if i can get a better handle on them. in particular:
1) i now have two of those 'art supplies' items, and some others went obviously missing, like my one-and-only wrench. i guess this is due to an inventory handling bug. it seems like maybe it's related to the pre-battle inventory management: after some combination(s) of changing the battle lineup, moving items around, and saving (or maybe not explicitly saving), it looks like the lineup and/or inventory of some characters gets swapped / cloned improperly after reloading. the workaround seems to be ... don't save/load too much, don't juggle inventory prebattle, and in particular don't save after juggling the lineup/inventory (which is a pain), and when all else fails edit the save files.
2) as other have noted, i do still get slowdowns, sometimes extreme ones, and i do see particles 'laying around' sometimes. in particular, sometimes animations slow down to <1/4 the normal rate. again i don't have a great handle on the details of this, but it's pretty obviously/definitely an issue -- but not game breaking per-se.

and finally my unsolicited meta-advice on improving overall quality in the future remains: ditch flash and go from there.

CraigStern

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that fixed it. And yeah, I expect I'll be moving to Unity for future game projects. :)

Marking this resolved.