News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

A new engine!

Started by CraigStern, June 05, 2016, 05:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

-interviewed a contractor to help me flesh out procedural character dialogue data

-implemented procedural spirit character portraits

-consolidated the new kineticist animations into single spritesheets

CraigStern

- the game now has working walk animations for the male and female cryokineticist.

Current progress on implementing walk and rest animations for the unpromoted classes:

Assassin
Axefighter
Barudit
Bowman
Bronze Golem
Cavalier
Crossbowman
Cryokineticist
Dark Spriggat
Engineer
Frost Spriggat
Golden Spriggat
Gasul
Kineticist

Mentalist
Photokineticist
Psy Healer
Pyrokineticist
Red Spriggat
Shadowling

Skiakineticist
Spearman
Spirit
Stone Golem
Swordsman

CraigStern

-consolidated all remaining (non-promoted) class animations into single spritesheets

CraigStern

- the game now has working walk animations for the male and female skiakineticist. (Now down to the last 4 of the non-promoted character classes!)

CraigStern

- the game now has working walk animations for the male and female mentalist and photokineticist.

Current progress on implementing walk and rest animations for the unpromoted classes:

Assassin
Axefighter
Barudit
Bowman
Bronze Golem
Cavalier
Crossbowman
Cryokineticist
Dark Spriggat
Engineer
Frost Spriggat
Golden Spriggat
Gasul
Kineticist
Mentalist
Photokineticist

Psy Healer
Pyrokineticist
Red Spriggat
Shadowling
Skiakineticist
Spearman
Spirit
Stone Golem
Swordsman

CraigStern

-finished the rest and walk animations in all 4 directions for all genders of all 25 base character classes! (I haven't started on the promoted versions yet.)

-units now finally look like themselves when standing or moving around the map, instead of just looking like female barudit or frost spriggats.

CraigStern

-finished creating positioning and scaling data for beards for the Spirit portraits

- hired artists to create custom sprites for Emma and Sabrina Strider and to produce assets for procedural shadowling portrait generation

CraigStern

-obtained new graphics to permit a wider variety of armor (that is easily visually distinguishable) in-game.

CraigStern

Currently struggling with a bizarre character movement bug in Unity. Spent today stripping the repositioning data out of the frames in the game's walk animations to try to fix the issue; this did not fix it. Gonna keep trying.

CraigStern

Ended up restoring an old version of the game--this took care of the bug, but also produced days of work getting certain things working again. I should have everything back up to where I was pretty soon, though! In the meantime:

-hired Ryan Richko to create some sweet new music!

-in the process of hiring a 3D modeler to create 3D walls, doors, and bridges for the new engine.

CraigStern

-the engine now properly displays the stat improvements if a character gains multiple levels at once and improves the same stat 2+ times in the process.

-made some UI improvements.

-fixed a few bugs.

CraigStern

-finally settled on and successfully hired a 3D modeler!

CraigStern

Got some more work done on the AI routines. This is going to take me a while to actually complete, as I'm reworking the AI from how it was handled in Telepath Tactics to make it even smarter at its highest difficulty levels.

CraigStern

--more progress on the AI; the game can now survey and rank the best short-range moves for all characters in an army at a given point in time, using most relevant criteria (the only remaining criteria to account for in the heuristic: knockback and environmental damage and status effects).

--the AI has a number of constants now that can be tweaked to alter how it behaves: tolerance for risk of attacks missing, how much it cares about a skill's energy cost, priority to be given to healers as targets, general unpredictability, and so on. I hope to make use of these in order to give different AI commanders different play styles!

CraigStern

Currently in the process of getting the AI to successfully move units.

--drafted a contract to bring on board a writer to help out with incidental dialogue

--gave artist feedback on drafts of custom sprites for Emma and Sabrina

--new script action working: MoveUnit.