News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Training

Started by Zhampir, March 11, 2010, 11:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhampir

in TRPG2 the main was allowed to train his/her skills, in TSoG these skills increase with use. I think there should be a combination of the two styles.

For instance, having the trainer train you to the next level of the attack with the cost dependent on the amount of experience left to level (divided by 3 to represent individual uses of the attack, or just based upon individual experience points). Even having the possibility of choosing how many experience points to increase (say Duvalier only has enough gold for 54 points but needs 57 to level, he can buy the 54 and attack an enemy for the remainder 3) (this should probably be represented by a(an?) hpscrollbar to easily eliminate a majority of bugs that could arise, with the max value set to the maximum amount the main can A. afford or B. needs, whichever is the least.)
Discuss at your leisure. ^^

Ertxiem

Training at the Nameless One will allow you to learn new moves and new ways of unleashing your power. On the other hand, using (repeating) the same attack will make you more skilled at using it in the battlefield, refining your technique and dealing more damage at that specific attack.
Therefore, I disagree that the train we do at the Nameless One could be equivalent to the train we get when using an attack. And if you want to train an attack, just use it in a random generated battle.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Ertxiem on March 12, 2010, 03:47:12 PM
Training at the Nameless One will allow you to learn new moves and new ways of unleashing your power. On the other hand, using (repeating) the same attack will make you more skilled at using it in the battlefield, refining your technique and dealing more damage at that specific attack.
Therefore, I disagree that the train we do at the Nameless One could be equivalent to the train we get when using an attack. And if you want to train an attack, just use it in a random generated battle.
I agree with Ertxiem.  The current system is good.

Zhampir

I just want something to do with my insane amount of gold after obliterating 10 black spriggats with Cryo Cross over and over again.

Ertxiem

Well, perhaps you're just over trained. Downgrade your character (new game) and try to complete the missions on brutal spending a minimal amount of gold (and then come here and brag about how much gold you accumulated with that weak team :D ).
I don't really think that, after the game is completed, you would be able to kill 10 dark spriggats before completing half of the missions! And then again, if the final game has random generated battles and a card game, then you may eventually be able to over train...
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Zackirus

I like having the tranier being able to train your skills (because I really only use fire blast and feedback) but I also like the idea of training it in battle. Maybe later on their will be a tranier who trains your teams moves and not your psy power and toughness.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

I agree with Ertxiem and im2smart4u: the arguments illustrated above are essentially what Craig told us initially, as well as the desire to make a more logical and better system. He didn't want to go with the standard experience system- and there I certainly agree that those are dull- it allows more flexibility on behalf of the player to skip the tedious leveling up part of the game, and keep the number of battles to a reasonable number such that the tactics and the game itself can be still enjoyed, without the repetition effect taking its toll on the players.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!