News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The Bandit Cave

Started by Zhampir, March 11, 2010, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhampir

Does any body else feel that this should be expanded?

Sure we have access to the main room, but there are two separate corridors. Certainly the bandits had sleeping quarters, a kitchen and dining area, a training room, storage for their plunders, and the entrance hall in their cave?

I think the Cave should be expanded to include these areas (and possibly more) with various quests associated with each room.

The Entrance hall; Malis is disgraced with utter rugged appearance of the cave and would like to spruce it up. She knows of a Cult convoy that is transporting many expensive silks and rugs and wishes for you to retrieve them for her. With the decoration of the cave, perhaps some soldiers are convinced to join your cause because you actually look like a functioning organization that's not hiding out in a run-down cave or some fat dude's basement. This could also be a moral boost for your men enhancing strength/health in a small amount.

The kitchen
1. Set is displeased with the supplies he has to cook the food for the army and would like you to capture a rare animal/plant, so they may harvest this animal/plant for better meals. Provides a boost in overall health of the soldiers

2. Set is overwhelmed with the amount of soldiers he must now feed and requires assistants (after all, who's going to cook when Set is out helping to battle the Cult?) and needs you to run around finding willing and good cooks. Could provide more soldiers or a speed boost (I'm thinking the soldiers will likely be like the enemy and move only a few squares so our soldiers' speed could be increased from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5) as a well fed soldier will have more energy.

The Dining hall
: A soldier (perhaps a scout) is upset at the lack of dishes (indicated by very few men eating with a long line waiting for a meal) and has discovered a convoy of Cultists that are transporting a large supply of fine dining equipment to the palace in Ravinvale, as a god and his men must only eat with the best of dishes. So, the scout implores you to attack them in the high-and-mighty arrogance and take the dishes for the army. This also helps with the well fed army and must be completed in order to gain the very helpful speed boost from the above mentioned quest.

The Training Room; Griffin is in charge of training the entire army and needs help. For one, there are gifted soldiers in the army that he has no idea to train and because of the vast amount of soldiers now there is no way he can train them all effectively. So, Griffin asks you to train these soldiers, and the best way is by hands-on battles, so you must battle your troops (not killing them, mind you). Possible rewards are, increased psy power, strength, or health for your troops, or even new skills (that mimic your own party's attacks, after all, why should your party be the strongest of their regime?)

The Storage Room: Arman is having trouble with the security system on the vault and asks you to try to break it. You are given a list of options, if your aptitude is high enough (say 20) you bypass the lock completely and safely, if not, however, you are given two options. 1. Run around from person to person (the Marid Clan Leader to the Librarian to perhaps Fizooz [which will likely require its own string of a sub-quest to partially restore his memory] who was contracted to break into the vault) to learn how to disarm the lock. 2. blast the door open which unleashes a wave of enemies, a personality check is performed and if it is high enough, the defenders (hopefully some type of new golem, perhaps the Cannon Golems, [or Steel Bar Shooting Golems {SBSG Mark I}as they seem to be now]) join your army. However if your personality fails you must destroy them. If you pass another aptitude check then you are able to completely understand their structure and talk to the Marid Clan leader about reconstructing them to join your team. However, if you fail, he sends you off to the Librarian again to find some research on the origins of the golems (they possibly were used in a battle between Ravinale and the Marid, with all the Marid's Archer-Golems to have thought to unfortunately be all demolished in the battle). The librarian remembers a book and so you set off to your storage in Baz's basement to find the book, but it is not found, remembering Set had "borrowed" some books you run back to him and ask him if he has it. He does but regrets that it is in some odd language, you recognize it to be shadowlingish and head over to Malis to get a translation. She agrees after some persuasion (possibly a completely other side-quest if your personality doesn't pass another check) to translate the book. With the book translated you travel back to the Marid Clan Chief who starts on rebuilding the golems. (By the way, having golems in your army, I think, would be a big deal, so I wanted the accumulation of these golems to be quite difficult) Also, if you are able to open the lock without alerting the guards you find the room to be filled with the golems, unactivated. as you walk up to one, the crystal within it resonates to your Psy power and the golem comes to life, they then, believing you are a general from the previous battle because you knew the code wakens his companions and joins you in your campaign.

P.S. I hope this is a major enough of a contribution for you KZ lol ^^ :P

torugo

i dont think it is possible to put all of that in because that is a lot to gain off of just one small area and the speed boost thing for arman and set i dont think that would work either the green orb iis going to be put in at one point and you wont need any more speed
mock the pheonix you will burn

Zhampir

no the speed boost is not for your teammates but for your army. The soldiers that have a typical speed of 3

torugo

mock the pheonix you will burn

cyso

Having the bandit caves expanded would be nice. After all, two hallways are already in place. It would be a little weird to have them their if you couldn't go down there.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Zackirus

I argee that the banit cave should be expaned, maybe even adding a guy who will play dice with you. The improvemnts for the soliders could be used later in the game unless craig wants to keep the soliders the same.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

cyso

Just one question. Where would former guardsmen who have been forced to resort to raiding and stealing get those golems from. For that mater, where would they get a hard to open vault?

Zhampir

the vault was already there, the Raiders discovered it but could never open it. As drunken unruly bandits they lacked the knowledge, and more importantly, will power to open it. They likely tried at first but said to heck with it when they no-longer could open it.

Presentiment

Quote from: Zhampir on March 13, 2010, 04:33:17 PM
the vault was already there, the Raiders discovered it but could never open it. As drunken unruly bandits they lacked the knowledge, and more importantly, will power to open it. They likely tried at first but said to heck with it when they no-longer could open it.

That sounds like lazy reasoning to me.

cyso

The fact that bandits couldn't open a vault that even Arman (a former contract killer) couldn't open makes sense. So, where did the vault come from. Maybe the Mechanics were using the cave as a base first, but were driven out by the bandits since they didn't have time to activate the golems.
If you think that the golems belonged to the Helenites, please remember that I came up with the original idea for the golems anyways.

Zhampir

As to their origins, the Helenites could be appropriate... and the quest could be altered to reflect this.
Such as Fizooz sending you out to recover a journal of his (hidden in the great forest, perhaps) that dictates the Vault came from an advanced military group that tactically retreated from the area after being attacked by the cult. that group was the Helenites. depending on how the game plays out (specifically if we meet with the Helenites) would effect how the rest of this plays out...

cyso

Actually, I would prefer if the Mechanics created the golem to compete with the Helenites.

Zhampir

I don't see how a storyline involving them being from the mechanics could possibly work...
No... in order to fit with the idea of them being a special unique group of golems would have to suggest a rival to the mechanics and a deviation from their golems. Having the Helenites being the creators is logical and flows well. Plus it is a nice easter egg, showing a connection to the previous game, yet keeping the game separate.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 11, 2010, 11:45:05 PM
The Entrance hall; Malis is disgraced with utter rugged appearance of the cave and would like to spruce it up. She knows of a Cult convoy that is transporting many expensive silks and rugs and wishes for you to retrieve them for her. With the decoration of the cave, perhaps some soldiers are convinced to join your cause because you actually look like a functioning organization that's not hiding out in a run-down cave or some fat dude's basement. This could also be a moral boost for your men enhancing strength/health in a small amount.
The Resistance should sell the silk and rugs for food and weapons.  Decorating the cave is waste of time.  Just think how pretty military bunkers are.

The kitchen 1. Set is displeased with the supplies he has to cook the food for the army and would like you to capture a rare animal/plant, so they may harvest this animal/plant for better meals. Provides a boost in overall health of the soldiers

2. Set is overwhelmed with the amount of soldiers he must now feed and requires assistants (after all, who's going to cook when Set is out helping to battle the Cult?) and needs you to run around finding willing and good cooks. Could provide more soldiers or a speed boost (I'm thinking the soldiers will likely be like the enemy and move only a few squares so our soldiers' speed could be increased from 3 to 4 or 4 to 5) as a well fed soldier will have more energy.
The non-character soldiers will probably not fight outside a cut-scene, so a boost in speed or health doesn't matter.  Instead of a kitchen, it would be more pratical to make a fire like the one in the center of the Marid Camp.

The Storage Room: Arman is having trouble with the security system on the vault and asks you to try to break it. You are given a list of options, if your aptitude is high enough (say 20) you bypass the lock completely and safely, if not, however, you are given two options. 1. Run around from person to person (the Marid Clan Leader to the Librarian to perhaps Fizooz [which will likely require its own string of a sub-quest to partially restore his memory] who was contracted to break into the vault) to learn how to disarm the lock. 2. blast the door open which unleashes a wave of enemies, a personality check is performed and if it is high enough, the defenders (hopefully some type of new golem, perhaps the Cannon Golems, [or Steel Bar Shooting Golems {SBSG Mark I}as they seem to be now]) join your army. However if your personality fails you must destroy them. If you pass another aptitude check then you are able to completely understand their structure and talk to the Marid Clan leader about reconstructing them to join your team. However, if you fail, he sends you off to the Librarian again to find some research on the origins of the golems (they possibly were used in a battle between Ravinale and the Marid, with all the Marid's Archer-Golems to have thought to unfortunately be all demolished in the battle). The librarian remembers a book and so you set off to your storage in Baz's basement to find the book, but it is not found, remembering Set had "borrowed" some books you run back to him and ask him if he has it. He does but regrets that it is in some odd language, you recognize it to be shadowlingish and head over to Malis to get a translation. She agrees after some persuasion (possibly a completely other side-quest if your personality doesn't pass another check) to translate the book. With the book translated you travel back to the Marid Clan Chief who starts on rebuilding the golems. (By the way, having golems in your army, I think, would be a big deal, so I wanted the accumulation of these golems to be quite difficult) Also, if you are able to open the lock without alerting the guards you find the room to be filled with the golems, unactivated. as you walk up to one, the crystal within it resonates to your Psy power and the golem comes to life, they then, believing you are a general from the previous battle because you knew the code wakens his companions and joins you in your campaign.
What vault?  The major security for the Cave are watch guards.  If the enemy is coming, then the Resistance needs to hide or flee.

Zhampir

Decor is not a waste. This isn't just a base for the resistance, it is a home for the rebels. and a woman's touch is all ways appreciated.

As Craig has stated, the game can support battles without the main, as noticed with Arman. What's the use of accumulating soldiers if they hold no importance? Craig has made a point on limiting die rolls and concentrating on using strategy. Thus, we'll likely have battle utilizing the soldiers.

And as to the vault your incompetence astounds me. Have you not even read the description? The vault was not some simple installation in the cave but (possibly) a storage area for the Helenites or an older armada. Where a reinforcement force of golems awaited command for battle. Please read the entire entry before making such rude remarks. Also, you may wish to try and be constructive with your complete refusal of another's ideas.