News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The Bandit Cave

Started by Zhampir, March 11, 2010, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Presentiment

I honestly think you're being the rude one. You have to think about your reasoning here.

-Why would the Helenites leave their equipment in such a place?
-Where are they now?
-The Helenites were established in northern Cera Bella, and have not been hired by anyone in the South. There is no reason for them to be here.
-What kind of conflict existed in southern Cera Bella to indicate such an armada would be needed?
-(assuming there was) Would a few caves be enough for one side to consider using them to hold reinforcements?
-Why were they not activated before?
-Why wouldn't the bandits be educated and clever?
-The swordsman at the labor site suggested hiring the Helenites. That does not support the Cult's having any beef with that mercenary group.
-What's new that the fifty new soldiers can do that would help in the regular battles? I agree with im2smart4u on this point; it is unlikely the battle logistics will be worked out so you can control all of those soldiers.
-Your reasoning is incredibly lazy. You gloss over all your points. Why would the Resistance prefer having decor vs. necessities? Besides, having the decor there is just a big red sign saying "This is where the Resistance is headquartered, come and kill us".

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 13, 2010, 06:30:30 PM
And as to the vault your incompetence astounds me. Have you not even read the description? The vault was not some simple installation in the cave but (possibly) a storage area for the Helenites or an older armada. Where a reinforcement force of golems awaited command for battle. Please read the entire entry before making such rude remarks. Also, you may wish to try and be constructive with your complete refusal of another's ideas.
Stop projecting your rudeness onto me.  Don't throw a fit, because I disagree with bad ideas.  I did read the entire thing.  I just don't understand why anyone would build a vault in a random cave, so they could store golems.  Golems are expense, so mercenaries would want them on hand to use instead of letting them rot in a cave.

cyso

I prefer the Mechanics having the golem. The golem could serve as a cheap counter to some of the other golems the Helenites have.
After all, have the Helenites get the Dorgon and the new golem wouldn't leave much competition between the two factions.
Then again, having the Helenites have the golem could work. I guess it doesn't make that big of a difference.
im2smart4u: The cave could have been a former headquarters for a mercenary group. The removed Rainvale Guardsmen could have taken the cave by force since they needed shelter. There would have been a lot more of them than when you fight Jabbar's bandits, as many of them were killed during the fight.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Zhampir

For the Helenites leaving leaving their best golems somewhere they have never been, I have no idea how to possible explain that.

As I said in the original post, what ever army that was using the golems was destroyed before their commander ever reached the cave and activated them.

It is mentioned that Ravinvale and the surrounding colonies have often be at odds and Marid has a deep running hatred because of it.

Perhaps they lost all their technology in their final battle, and only a few (noting the very few in the clan) were able to retreat and survive.

I simply liked the idea of the Helenites because of Barzul's story involving their incredible technology, I didn't mean to suggest that they completely fit with the idea.

You likely won't control all of them, you'll just control them in a few battles with the Cult's soldiers symbolizing the Resistance's invasion and reclamation of their city.

How could decor possibly show that they are the resistance? Having a completely militaristic appearing cave would be more of a flashing sign than a decorated homely cave. The resistance could simply claim that they were another colony like Marid or Rubat. Besides it's no doubt the Cult will come. They offer two options; join or die. The ability of the resistance to claim that it is its own colony is very useful to keep them Cult spies from being suspicious. They could even explain the training grounds by saying that every clan needs protection verses the deadly animals in the desert. My reasoning is not lazy, I'm just lazy at explaining my reasoning =P

Presentiment

And who'd be living in a cave? o.O

cyso

Before the bandits were cleared out, the bandits lived in the cave (obviously).
After the bandits left, your soldiers and the workers you rescue live in the cave.

Presentiment

Yup, and those caves would be decorated like a home?

cyso

Well, maybe not that nice, but people have to sleep somewhere. You can decorate a cave. It won't be as nice as a home, but you can do it.

Presentiment

My point was that because the only people expected to live in the caves are bandits who didn't care much for the Cult finding them, having a decorated cave arouses suspicion and draws attention, something the Resistance doesn't want or need.

You completely missed my point.

cyso

The cave would be decorated on the inside. Only if the Cult went inside the cave would they notice.

Zackirus

All I really want for the cave is too have NPCs who you can talk to, and myabe the guy who will play dice with you.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Zhampir

all I want is to pack this game with as much high quality, time consuming, engaging, humorous, and enjoyable content as possible. and I found that the cave could be one area that could be vastly improved. as for the kitchen being little more than a fire, I'm sure that it would be little more than that (maybe a cool spring for fresh water, with a stone-based stove)

I fail to see how I am projecting my thoughts of not having helpful criticism when I have offered a solution to the situation and you have offered none, unless of your suggestion is complete removal, of the idea. but many golems, even ones that you have come up with, have been greatly enjoyed by the community, and I was just trying to give one possible scenario in which they could be implemented. I'm sorry if if the limited details of my proposals do not fit your standard, but I do wish you would help to build upon them, instead of completely dismissing the idea.

By homely I simply meant that the cave would appear more like a livable colony of civilization instead of a run down, rag-tag organization of warriors squatting in a damp dark cave like primordial beasts. Please disregard my use of poetic license if it disturbs you so.

Even though this is not the place to discuss the issue of how the army will be implemented it has been brought up here and I don't feel the need to create an entirely new post just so you understand my reasoning as to the bonuses to the army, so here it is:
    There will likely be a mix of soldiers you have as well as some recruits from the slaves you rescued. Some will be archers, some warriors, and some could implement the widely liked scout class. If others are recruited (the golems for instance) they can also be used in your army. Basically it would be set up like the arena, you choose which one to be the "leader" of the group and the team from a list of what is available. If one dies you loose that unit permanently (all though, I suppose Luca could bring them back... but I think that would just encourage people to waste the units they have and just charge with little thought of strategy). You then take this team into battle against the cultists. (training could also be this way, you have a group of soldiers spare with another group, a few battles of this, focusing on different team sets [all melee, all ranged, etc]) There would only be a few battles to represent the many battles being fought, with your team also attacking in the main fights of the game (like storming the palace, fighting the Cult leaders, and the ultimate showdown with Yawa).  Having this implementation will help with the importance of actually getting an army. Make no mistake, Yawa will be confronted, and an ending to this conflict betwixt the Cult and the Resistance will be found. (is there really any other direction this game could go?)

If any one feels the need to discuss how the soldiers will actually be implemented, you can go ahead an create such a topic, I will not, however, since I think that there are far more important things on the forum, and not on the forum, that beg discussion.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on March 13, 2010, 10:01:25 PM
By homely I simply meant that the cave would appear more like a livable colony of civilization instead of a run down, rag-tag organization of warriors squatting in a damp dark cave like primordial beasts. Please disregard my use of poetic license if it disturbs you so.
Sorry for the news flash, but they are a rag-tag organization of warriors. I don't think a desert cave is very damp.

Quote from: Zhampir on March 13, 2010, 06:30:30 PM
Decor is not a waste. This isn't just a base for the resistance, it is a home for the rebels. and a woman's touch is all ways appreciated.
Think about the interior of a battleship.  The crew spend so much of thier time on the ship that it can be considered their home.  Just because the ship is considered home to crew members, doesn't mean the military is going to install carpet and pretty wallpaper.

Quote from: Zhampir on March 13, 2010, 10:01:25 PM
    There will likely be a mix of soldiers you have as well as some recruits from the slaves you rescued. Some will be archers, some warriors, and some could implement the widely liked scout class. If others are recruited (the golems for instance) they can also be used in your army. Basically it would be set up like the arena, you choose which one to be the "leader" of the group and the team from a list of what is available. If one dies you loose that unit permanently (all though, I suppose Luca could bring them back... but I think that would just encourage people to waste the units they have and just charge with little thought of strategy). You then take this team into battle against the cultists. (training could also be this way, you have a group of soldiers spare with another group, a few battles of this, focusing on different team sets [all melee, all ranged, etc]) There would only be a few battles to represent the many battles being fought, with your team also attacking in the main fights of the game (like storming the palace, fighting the Cult leaders, and the ultimate showdown with Yawa).  Having this implementation will help with the importance of actually getting an army. Make no mistake, Yawa will be confronted, and an ending to this conflict betwixt the Cult and the Resistance will be found. (is there really any other direction this game could go?)

If any one feels the need to discuss how the soldiers will actually be implemented, you can go ahead an create such a topic, I will not, however, since I think that there are far more important things on the forum, and not on the forum, that beg discussion.
You base your assumtions off of what? Maybe wishful thinking and your imagenation?

cyso

Somewhere, maybe in the description of the game, it said, "change your rag-tag band of warriors into a full fledged fighting force." or something like that.
Battleships aren't that great, and maybe the cave shouldn't be decorated that much. However, you still get a place to sleep and food. In a barrack, you might get a little more. I'm going to try to insert a hyperlink to a picture. Even though it is only the outside, you can see there some good things (nice doors, windows, painted walls, etc.) Maybe not that great, but better than rock walls without a good place to sleep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Barracks-sweden.jpg

SmartyPants

Quote from: yogc on March 14, 2010, 12:11:08 PM
Somewhere, maybe in the description of the game, it said, "change your rag-tag band of warriors into a full fledged fighting force." or something like that.
Who said that when? I don't think anyone said that.

Quote from: yogc on March 14, 2010, 12:11:08 PM
Battleships aren't that great, and maybe the cave shouldn't be decorated that much. However, you still get a place to sleep and food. In a barrack, you might get a little more. I'm going to try to insert a hyperlink to a picture. Even though it is only the outside, you can see there some good things (nice doors, windows, painted walls, etc.) Maybe not that great, but better than rock walls without a good place to sleep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Barracks-sweden.jpg
That is not the interior of the Barracks.  The exterior of the barracks need to look impressive, because no one will take the miltary forces serious if it looks shabby.  A group of rebels has their bases hidden, so it doen't matter what they look like.