News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

More about Gelf!

Started by KZ, March 14, 2010, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zackirus

I would put Gelf interactions with our species at the top. I a curious to find out what the other races think (if at all about the gelf). I wouldhten put history because I thnk it would be pretty funny (Gelf the Great, Gelf the Reaper)
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Ertxiem

Another way of dealing with different Gelfs is by using different formatting. It will not be very clear to us, foreign humans but it will be very clear to the Gelfs.
We may meet Gelf, son of Gelf and brother of Gelf and Gelf, nephew of Gelf. I know that there are a limited number of different formats that we may apply, but in the game there will also be a limited number of Gelfs that we'll meet.

Presentiment: At least delete your image in the above post. You're being annoying.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Presentiment

I didn't realize at first nobody understood my words were to support the idea of having a universal name.

Too bad this forum is overly democratic.

Having different formats of name would just look awkward, and it brings up the question of how many Gelfs exist, and how they differentiate each other through speech.

KZ

I can assure you that they're quite capable of recognizing each other and differentiating between each other, as there are not that many of them around.

Still, have you folks got any more questions about Gelf culture, rather than just noting the fact that they are all called Gelf?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zackirus

What do the Gelfs Think about Humans, Shadowlings, the Cult. Are the being persued by Cult (you never know). How do the Gelfs think about Religion?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Presentiment

Quote from: KZ on March 17, 2010, 10:22:17 AM
I can assure you that they're quite capable of recognizing each other and differentiating between each other, as there are not that many of them around.

You can't assume that, because if there is a large group of Gelf, they'd never be able to verbally communicate.

If they were all separate, they would all have a different language/culture.

CraigStern

Without weighing in on one side or the other: did you know that human beings are wired to be able to instantly recall facts about hundreds of people simply by seeing their faces? Biologists think this ability arose because early human settlements had around that number of people, and accordingly, that was how many people we needed to be able to keep tabs on at a time. It doesn't seem totally preposterous that the Folk of the Woods might have a similar capacity to get along in small settlements going primarily on facial recognition.

Presentiment

But how would they speak to each other?

The Gelfs seem relatively advanced, compared to early man.

KZ

Thanks, Craig ;)
Presntiment: well, if this gets into the game, then you'll find out for yourself. ;)

I don't see the porblem of them being able to speak to each other: just what exctaly would prevent communication between them occuring?
After all, they are quite aware who is who, and forget not that, expanding on what Craig set, humans are well equipped to recgonise small differences in their own cultures- for instance, Eurpoeans are pretty good at telling each other apart (e.g. a Greek v Swede), but they'll have great trouble telling the difference, using face alone, between, say, Koreans and Chinese, and it's the same result vice versa. Hence, to outsiders Gelfs may look alike, but to themselves they're very different indeed.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 18, 2010, 01:35:29 PM
Thanks, Craig ;)
Presntiment: well, if this gets into the game, then you'll find out for yourself. ;)

I don't see the porblem of them being able to speak to each other: just what exctaly would prevent communication between them occuring?
After all, they are quite aware who is who, and forget not that, expanding on what Craig set, humans are well equipped to recgonise small differences in their own cultures- for instance, Eurpoeans are pretty good at telling each other apart (e.g. a Greek v Swede), but they'll have great trouble telling the difference, using face alone, between, say, Koreans and Chinese, and it's the same result vice versa. Hence, to outsiders Gelfs may look alike, but to themselves they're very different indeed.
How do they talk about fellow Wood-Folk when they all share the same name.  When you talk about a person, you don't see thier face.  When you yell "Hey Gelf!", doesn't everyone respond?

KZ

Remember when you ventured a thought that Gelfs would have something like second names, which are different for each of them? Well, they'll refer to each by using a term that differentiates between them.
Their race is Gelf, that is also what they call each other, like a shared middle-name between each member of the species. (Think of this analogy: "corade Ivanov", quite a few of them there, but they could then further specify which of the Ivanov's is meant, and "comrade" part is more or less equivalent to the "Gelf" part: it is an overt symbol of being part of who they are.)
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

If the Wood-Folk teammate dies, will the pets continue to fight for the Hero?

KZ

That is one very good question! I think the pets will stay, as Gelf asks them to help him help his friends. If Gelf goes, the pets will still try to fulfill his wish and help the team. (That part will become a bit more clear if the side-mission gets in- the link between Gelf and his pets is more explored there.)
Welcome to the forums!

Presentiment

Quote from: KZ on March 18, 2010, 01:35:29 PM
Thanks, Craig ;)

So you're indicating its already planned out?

Please. The problem is obviously not distinguishing people, but making it clear who you're talking to, which is why I was wondering how they'd verbally communicate in a group.
Quote from: KZ on March 18, 2010, 02:37:14 PM
Remember when you ventured a thought that Gelfs would have something like second names, which are different for each of them? Well, they'll refer to each by using a term that differentiates between them.
Their race is Gelf, that is also what they call each other, like a shared middle-name between each member of the species. (Think of this analogy: "corade Ivanov", quite a few of them there, but they could then further specify which of the Ivanov's is meant, and "comrade" part is more or less equivalent to the "Gelf" part: it is an overt symbol of being part of who they are.)

That's what I was thinking about earlier until you split it off.

KZ

Those are two separate issues, both addressed above, as you clearly found out, since you quoted the answers.

Yes, this has been planned out for well over a year now, the mission is laid out, the dialogues have been written, the battles more or less in their final state, with very few things to add from us as contributors. At this stage it's pretty much up to Craig to decide whether he wants this added in or not. If you want to see the development, have a look at the collab thread between LethalLauire and I on the old forums, or here on the new ones. It took about six months of collabortaion to sort most things out.
Welcome to the forums!