News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

More about Gelf!

Started by KZ, March 14, 2010, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

That is an even better question: I was about to make a thread asking for suggestions, we haven't names the bird anything yet. So, all suggetions are welcome!
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 18, 2010, 06:54:43 PM
That is an even better question: I was about to make a thread asking for suggestions, we haven't names the bird anything yet. So, all suggetions are welcome!
Tweety or Woodstock?

Zhampir

what about Gelf-Pet? lol...
Quickwing, Dumbbird, Coocohead. Fleetfeet...

cyso

Maybe flapper (OK, it's terrible, but I'm not the world's most creative guy) flyer, or glider.
Flappy, maybe?
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Presentiment

How about bird?

That's a fine name, Lord Byrons of this forum.

KZ

Tweety: never!

Woodstock, I hear you say? Hmm, inetersting reference.

Anything along the lines how the Tig was formed? (Plant => Sterigma => Tig)
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Ertxiem

Or perhaps the pet name was related to the way Gelf found it or related to the pet's characteristics (or temperament).

Regarding the Gelfs naming calling each other Gelf, remember that "Gelf" is what Duvalier hears. Meaning that, to him, all he hears is Gelf, but to the Gelfs, they can hear the slight differences in each "Gelf" to tell them apart. It would be more or less like the difference between the words "not" and "knot", or "see" and "sea", hard to tell apart by non native English speakers.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Presentiment

Your examples are used in different circumstances. A universal name is not. A more accurate analogy would be the four tones in Chinese, but you can only nuance a word so much...

SmartyPants

Quote from: Ertxiem on March 20, 2010, 10:30:45 PM
Regarding the Gelfs naming calling each other Gelf, remember that "Gelf" is what Duvalier hears. Meaning that, to him, all he hears is Gelf, but to the Gelfs, they can hear the slight differences in each "Gelf" to tell them apart. It would be more or less like the difference between the words "not" and "knot", or "see" and "sea", hard to tell apart by non native English speakers.
"Knot" and "not" sound the exact same and so does "sea" and "see".  When the words are spoken alone, one can only guess the meaning.  You only know they have a different meaning is when the words are used in a sentence.  I don't see how a name applies?  Back in 7th grade, when I said hi to "Katy/Katie", all three Katys though I was talking to them(I don't know why anyone put three Katys in the same english class).

KZ

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 03, 2010, 09:07:13 PM
How do the Wood-Folk get the bugs to listen to them?
If the side-mission gets in the game, there it will be explained ;)
But if you do wish for a hint, then let's just say that [spoiler]Wood-folk are also Psy creatures, albeit not very Gifted ones[/spoiler].

Going back to the 3rd creature to be summoned by Gelf (the bird), what name do you think should it have? Going by the analogy of how Sterigma became Tig for the plant and was derived from a real name (thanks to Ertxiem here), why not try to go for a real bird name (be it in latin or common name, and then try to do what Craig did to Sterigma)? Any suggestions, folks?
Welcome to the forums!

Bromtaghon

Sterigma --> Tig
Cardinal --> Ain?

Bad idea.
If you say Sterigma really fast you can kind of get Tig...
If you say Cardinal really fast you get...
Carna?
Canal?
Cardil?
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Dorgon 5000

What about Featheregg? That sounds pretty cool, doesn´t it?

KZ

Mmm, Dorgon, I don't think Featheregg is at all in style with the rest of the names in the entire game series...

Methinks you're onto something, Bromtaghon- why not try playing aorund with names like eagle, hawk, etc?  Not sure if "Eag" sounds good... but it is similar to Tig!
Welcome to the forums!