News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Nations, States, and Countries?

Started by SmartyPants, March 16, 2010, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

I am curious about the nations of Cera Bella.

The new Cera Bella map is divided into four territories.  I am guessing the northwest territory is the Shadowlands and the southern territory is the Ravinale dominated Ashwan Desert.  The territories which I don't know who has control of is northeast territory and the east territory.

Other questions:
Piter said his father bought him "an apartment in the capital". What is the capital Piter is referring to?
What is the human nation above the Shadowlands?
What is the human nation around the Psy Academy?
What nation is around the Great Forest?
What nation is Guy a General of?
Where is the empire mentioned in Anya's book, Histories of the Dundar Emperors?
What nation has sovereignty over the Lake Alto region?
What happened to the poet-king Azur's kingdom?

Presentiment

Just because a particular feature is denoted on the map, doesn't mean it is the primary feature.

Ravinale is a city-state, such as Vatican City, Monaco, or Dubai.

It is tiny, and there are probably numerous other city states in the same region.

As the Psy Academy is multiracial and neutral in conflict, indicating it has choice, it is probably not under jurisdiction of any nation, though it may be an enclave.

Seeing as the Shadowlings are positioned below the Deeper Downs, which was the last part of Old Spriggatia to be annexed, Spriggatia likely extended from the Deeper Downs as its top down below Somnus, or even near Lake Alto, as Darkeye attacked there.

SmartyPants

Greek city-states are one large city that dominates nearby territories, while modern city-states are cities that are independent of the nation around them.

Because of the way the Marid Clan acts towards Ravinalians, it is more likely that Ravinale is closer to a Greek city-state then a modern one.

Because the Psy Academy is a school instead of a ruling government, it is more likely that the Psy Academy is like a modern city-state.

If I had to guess, the Deeper Downs was the center and capital of Spriggatia.  Like how Canada and the USA share the Great Lakes, the Shadowlands and the Northeast Nation have to share Lake Alto.

KZ

Dubai isn't a city-state, Presentiment, unlike Vatican City or Monaco, it isn't considered to be a country.

We don't actually have any information at all about who occupies the area around Lake Alto: there is certainly human presence, as evidenced by Pirate Pete, but then there were Spirggat v Shadowling battles going in around Lake Alto area, so I'd suspect it falls more under the Shadowlands territory, than human territory.

If I were to guess where human nations are located, I'd go for the entire Ashwan derest (doubt there will be many caves in which the Shadowlings could reside), and possibly the area just to the north of the Great Forest, where the Mechanics operate (for some reason I associate that stretch of land, up to the southern borders of Lake Alto, to be quite dangerous territory, not owned by anyone, with lots of human travellers, low-lives, highway men, and mercenaries lurking about- a bit like an area around a port). Plus, the area around the Psy Academy.

I'd think that neither humans nor Shadowlings control the Great Forest, it's more of an area inhabited by Gelfs.

Given that the Psy Academy is a military institution, large enough to be considered when major wars erupt, it's possible that they have enough people to have a proper Psy-oriented army, which might be used for peace-keeping around the region, a bit like UN forces. And they could draw on Psys from local surroundings to boost their rank in times of crisis. Then Guy could be the General of that army.

I more or less agree about the Old Spriggatia, though I'd think the border would've run much more to the north of Somnus, since Somnus was the capital of Shadowling-based nation. Other than that, I think having Deeper Downs and territory to the north-west of Lake Alto as its borders seems like a reasonable guess.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on March 17, 2010, 10:09:20 AMpossibly the area just to the north of the Great Forest, where the Mechanics operate (for some reason I associate that stretch of land, up to the southern borders of Lake Alto, to be quite dangerous territory, not owned by anyone, with lots of human travellers, low-lives, highway men, and mercenaries lurking about- a bit like an area around a port).

I'd think that neither humans nor Shadowlings control the Great Forest, it's more of an area inhabited by Gelfs.
I think a human government has claim over the northeast territory.  Like Pakistan, the northeast government may have official control over certain areas, but not actual control.  The Great Forest is left in control of the Folk-of-the-Woods, while the Lowlands is left in anarchy.  The northeast government only has actual control over the lands bordering the eastern territory and the Shadowlands.

Quote from: KZ on March 17, 2010, 10:09:20 AM
Given that the Psy Academy is a military institution, large enough to be considered when major wars erupt, it's possible that they have enough people to have a proper Psy-oriented army, which might be used for peace-keeping around the region, a bit like UN forces. And they could draw on Psys from local surroundings to boost their rank in times of crisis. Then Guy could be the General of that army.
I think the Psy Academy is more known for their Generals and Special Forces then they are for having a powerful conventional army.  You know this because the Academy's strategy lead to the fall of the Shadowling Empire and the Hero and his team could single-handedly defeat the Academy.  The Psy Academy is probably independent of the eastern territory like how Lesotho is indepedent of South Africa.
I think the capital that Piter is referring to is in the eastern territory.

KZ

I guess there is nothing that would contradict a suggestion that a human government is controlling the northeast territory. I guess it's also not very densly populated.

Sound logic there, and I guess that is more likely. Still, like the UN, the Psy Academy may form a conventional army from the surrounding human settlements to be headed by its staff and which can be used for peacekeeping purposes. Methinks that way the Psy Academy would be much more easily tolerated and not feared by neighbouring human settlements.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Dayn

My thoughts,
The northern lands are the Shadowling Republic, the Ashwan Desert is the humans, the great forest is the Gelfs, and lake alto is a disputed area. I also think that the humans are divided into different clans, and that they will attack each other once and a while. The Psy Academy remains neutral. The lowlands are more like no mans land, mainly because I don't know anyone who would want it!

torugo

you mean besides the mechanics
mock the pheonix you will burn

SmartyPants

I added a new question:
Where is the empire mentioned in Anya's book, Histories of the Dundar Emperors?

bugfartboy

Yes but you wouldn't want to hear it.

The Holy namelesskitty

But we need to know the question to give answers.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

bugfartboy

I was wondering if there is a technologically advanced civilization that worships it's technology (kind of like America) And by technologically advanced I mean beyond golems and lasers. Like people in biosuits giving them flight, X-ray, and health regeneration.

bugfartboy

*facepalm* How did I know. I feel unappriciated. But I will repost my idea for the sake of it:
Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 04, 2010, 07:38:45 PM
I was wondering if there is a technologically advanced civilization that worships it's technology (kind of like America) And by technologically advanced I mean beyond golems and lasers. Like people in biosuits giving them flight, X-ray, and health regeneration.