News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

What is ranking all about?

Started by Steel Ersatz Man, March 20, 2010, 05:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Ersatz Man

Um... what's with people's 'rank' e.g. Ghost, Blue cape etc.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

KZ

Just for a bit of fun: the more posts you get outside the in-forum games section, the higher "rank" you'll obtain. In theory, you'll do this by writing quality posts, so there will be a bit more respect to those members who manage to achieve the higher ranks (ie writing many high quality posts) and also get some satusfaction from achieving the said high rank. It's all for a bit of fun, really.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

Its built into php and there isn't any point in taking it out.

That's the real reason why.  ;)

Also, I think Craig/KZ should disable topic creation in Introductions, so threads like this don't pop up here.

torugo

i personaly like the ranking system
mock the pheonix you will burn

Tastidian

Me too I like the rankings it makes the forums more fun.

Frosty

I don't. It makes a ton of posting prats who will just post random posts *cough* Presentiment *cough* before they get banned.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

torugo

he was the only person doing that

KZ

I am also not a big fan- Frosty's right, quite a few people try to boost their post count for that reason, and to be on the statistics boards, rather than simply try to post quality stuff.
And no, P-man wasn't the only one doing that- I do see a fair share of rather pointless posts, back in the day, and nowadays.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Steel Ersatz Man

Quote from: KZ on April 01, 2010, 11:46:41 AM
I am also not a big fan- Frosty's right, quite a few people try to boost their post count for that reason, and to be on the statistics boards, rather than simply try to post quality stuff.
And no, P-man wasn't the only one doing that- I do see a fair share of rather pointless posts, back in the day, and nowadays.

Did I ever make any of these posts?

torugo

you probably just put them as an average post in another topic but got put as a new topic. because i remember asking who dain was and somehow it ended up as a new topic

WeBing

Quote from: Ersatz Man on April 02, 2010, 05:14:26 AM

cough cough irony

fractals mmmm

Steel Ersatz Man

Quote from: WeBing on April 06, 2010, 06:05:43 PM

cough cough irony

Yeah, yeah I know. It occured to me too.

torugo

well i think people only try that when they are eager to get promoted. so in the beginning they will post a lot since it is easier but as they go it settles down. however the habit may pick back up when they are coming close to a promotion again

Steelfist

Quote from: Ersatz Man on April 07, 2010, 06:24:54 AM

cough cough irony

So many quotes!

Anyway, I try not to post pointless posts, and rely on quality rather than quantity (hopefully).

Zhampir

Quote from: Steelfist on May 16, 2010, 07:09:18 PM
Quote from: Ersatz Man on April 07, 2010, 06:24:54 AM

cough cough irony

So many quotes!

Anyway, I try not to post pointless posts, and rely on quality rather than quantity (hopefully).
Just thought I'd extend this trend.^^
I have so many posts from when the forum games count it's ridiculous. I barely got on for a month and was still about 200 ahead of the next closest (KZ having almost all ways having more than me (I had one more post than him for like an hour))