News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Carrying on from this thread, discuss any interesting ideas for attacks which can be given to TSoG teammates. Some of the attacks have been implemented in the game already, like Juxtapose, so fear not that your ideas will be voiced in vain!

Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Steelfist

I may have said this before, but...

Elemental scyth

The same move as slash, essentially, but with an element, like Shadow scyth (Same range as slash, but a shadow move) or light scyth (Same range as slash, but a light move)

KZ

"scythe" you mean?

I think there was speculation about mixing up elements- like the Twilight Blast (Shadow+Light) and mixing up an elemental attack with melee. I do recollect how an idea of having "elemental arrows" ostensibly was liked by CraigStern, but that was about one-and-a-half years ago.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

hellboy222

yeah but it seems that if the range was to far it would make the game less challenging because your hero is now ranged, but that might just be me.

KZ

I am curious to whether CraigStern, as mentioned about a year ago, has decided to which teammate give the Fury attack? Methinks it could be quiting for the Spearman (a future teammate mentioned by CraigStern some time ago), as it's used by Helena in TRPG2 and it would seem only fitting if a melee fighter could use it. I also wonder if Recover will make an appaearance in TSoG?
Welcome to the forums!

cyso

Quote from: Steelfist on February 07, 2010, 12:24:01 PM
I may have said this before, but...

Elemental scyth

The same move as slash, essentially, but with an element, like Shadow scyth (Same range as slash, but a shadow move) or light scyth (Same range as slash, but a light move)
Love it. I always thought it would make sense to sort of combine elemental and physical attacks.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Kaseke

What about giving Seth a buff which changes the element of the normal attack. Only for one turn not to make it too easy to use it. The area could be something like this:

OOO
XSX
XXX
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

KZ

Personally, I am postively opposed to the idea of said "buffs" and the likes, as it unpleasantly reminds me of the Sonny battleengine. I'd rather see TSoG keep the neat style of attacks and accent on the tactical side of things- a bit like in StarCraft, in a way- you do have units with special abilities, but you can't just blindly use them all over the place, as you have to know where to strike to make it hurt.
Welcome to the forums!

SmartyPants

I thought of a Static Shield would be useful for Psy Points.

Boost: Luca doesn't just supply Psy Points anymore. She now helps teammates focus to the point where they can store even more PsP.
Element: Mental
Range: 1 Space
Cost: Psy Power + Boost Level
Amount Transferred: (Psy Power + Boost Level)/2
Status Effects: Target's max PsP increases

An alternative for Boost could be the ability to increase a target's Psy Power. This could increase the damage of attacks, the potency of shields, and the amount of stored PsP. This form of Boost is similar to Fury.

Boost:
Range: 1 space
Cost: 6
Status Effect: Target's Psy Power increases by 1

KZ

Well, I guess in order for people not to get confused, we can call the second attack "Psy Fury" for now, just to separate the two.
I think Boost in conjunction with Static Shield would be too powerful a combination (but the idea is still good), since then Luca can easily do a Boost+Transfer combo and the Psy units will have, effectively, limitless PsP.

About "Psy Fury", I honestly am not sure: I haven't used much Fury myself, as it effectively takes out one offensive turn from a teammate, and those 2-3 extra damage points, although usually play a crucial role, don't outweight the turn lost.

If I was to choose between the two, I'd go for Boost as an attack to add.

What of adding Feedback to Set? Or the "Push" attack (effectively forcing an emeny off a square and dealing some nominal damage to them by the action)?
Welcome to the forums!

Zhampir

Giving Set feedback, I believe, is a terrible idea, because it harms the enemy. Sets whole thing is avoiding damage to everyone.

However Set, I think, should have more combat friendly attacks such as Psy Drain, an attack that damages the amount of Psp an enemy has (or even absorbs their psp, as in Psy Feedback)

Also I think Set should be able to paralyze his enemies. This would be a high charge power and Set would need massive stats to obtain it, simply because he would force a shield around the contours of the enemy's body suspending movement.

John Flame

This idea goes back to Trpg 2.Remember Nelis(Shadowling Queen i think)had the attacks Holy Blast and Fire Gate!
Supose my hero is fire based!And reaches high level would be cool if it learned Fire Gate!But not at levels like 20.Then the playears would be independent.By high level i mean 50!Same with light based hero!
And here are some supreme Ice and Dark attacks:

Artic Wind
Range:All battlefield
Damage:Grows with use!Base:20
Psy points to use:50

Dark Void:
Range1-5 Tiles away from hero!
Damage:20
Psy points to use:50!
Sword is the best weapon,
Fire and Light are the best elements,
Holy Flame is the attack,
And im a Paladin!

Kaseke

50 psy points? that's too much methinks. Also I don't like the big area of those attacks. Tho, it takes alot of psy points, if enought psy points you could kill the whole map with only 2 attacks. also, if there were all of your units on the battlefield, they could kill your enemies very easily after that attack. With friendly fire it'd make the game just too easy. This is only my opinion tho.
If you seek it, you can find it. Freedom can be attained.

SmartyPants

Quote from: KZ on February 13, 2010, 12:08:36 PMAbout "Psy Fury", I honestly am not sure: I haven't used much Fury myself, as it effectively takes out one offensive turn from a teammate, and those 2-3 extra damage points, although usually play a crucial role, don't outweight the turn lost.
This is a support attack.  The Psy Fury would be used the same way elemental shields are used.  Helena's Fury increased her own Strength which only increased her attack power.  Luca's Psy Fury would increase a teamate's Psy Power which will increase the teammate's attack power and the stored PsP.

Quote from: Zhampir on February 13, 2010, 10:49:35 PM
Giving Set feedback, I believe, is a terrible idea, because it harms the enemy. Sets whole thing is avoiding damage to everyone.

However Set, I think, should have more combat friendly attacks such as Psy Drain, an attack that damages the amount of Psp an enemy has (or even absorbs their psp, as in Psy Feedback)
I agree, that Set shouldn't use offensive attacks like feedback.

The enemes don't have any stored PsP, so a character cant really drain their PsP.

Quote from: John Flame on February 14, 2010, 05:25:57 AMArtic Wind
Range:All battlefield
Damage:Grows with use!Base:20
Psy points to use:50

Dark Void:
Range1-5 Tiles away from hero!
Damage:20
Psy points to use:50!
These type of attacks should be reserved for bosses.

KZ

Fair enough, though it is rather annoying to see a completely defensive unit that cannot tip the balance of battle in your favour, just because he lacks a weak attack (like Anya or Festus could be used in TRPG2 when the battle was really going down the wire).

Agree, the huge attacks should be for bosses only, and also, if the Hero is that strong already, any attack he uses will be effectively a one-hit-kill. And he can learn araea attacks, so if the enemy is tightly packed, that spells big trouble.

There was mention, early on in TPA2 development, of assassins having poison attacks. Methinks having a stab-style attack that uses Desert Scorpion poison to weaken a tough enemy, say a boss, would be nice to have and would provide variety to Arman's arsenal, since at the moment he has, effectively, two attack that area exactly the same (Stab, Mega Stab). Surely in a long and difficult battle weakening the boss' attack, if it is melee, could be crucial?  And it will expand the set of teammates who have status-affecting attacks.
Welcome to the forums!