News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

Quote from: im2smart4u on March 19, 2010, 08:00:47 PM
Quote from: Frosty on March 19, 2010, 07:36:00 PM
Quote from: Frosty on February 15, 2010, 03:47:59 PM
I think a good new attack for Griffin would be wound, which is sorta like sap, only its a physical attack. I also think Arman should learn to throw his knife like Niven does with Knife Fling.
This is my idea from really long ago, and I just thought to bring it back.
Arman is an Assassin; not a knife thrower.  With a speed of 9 and bonus to attack from behind, a range attack wouln't be useful.
"Wound" doesn't make sense, because every attack that doesn't kill is a wound.
Well hey, I can't think of creative names, I just like the idea. But your reasoning with Arman makes sense.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Ertxiem

I agree with the poison attack for the assassin. I also think that strength reduction might be easier to code (no changes in the AI) than a damage over time due to poisoning.

Regarding the throw attack from the spearman, I also think that there is some superposition with Rahel. (And I agree with the left and right jabs).
The simultaneous attack to the left and right could be animated as the spear striking to the right and a kick simultaneously attacking the enemy on the left.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

KZ

Ertxiem, the left and right jabs are proposed as two different attacks, not simultaneous (that would be quite hard!): and people mitgh like having both, as they'd allow the Spearman to be positioned (and therefore exposed) differently with respect to enemy units depending on which jab is used.

Good, I alsothink that poison over time is not in TRPG style, whilst strength reducing poison attack for Arman would be very suiting indeed.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Presentiment

I was thinking of 'secondary' EA attacks.

For example:

Light: Light Ring (from the RP in Forum Games, 1x PA, +3, 1.4x Lvl)

Omnidirectional, 10PsP

Fire: Pyro Hail (perhaps Fire Gate as the EA attack)

+ sign, forward.

12 PsP

Ice: Freeze (makes the enemy unable to attack and invulnerable for one turn, deals 1.5x PA, 1/3 their Strength+PA, 1x Lvl)

Three squares in front.

11PsP

Shadow: Surprise Blast (1.2x PA, +4, +1.5x Lvl)

Pierces three squares in back.

12 PsP

Zackirus

Quote from: Presentiment on March 20, 2010, 08:44:10 PM
I was thinking of 'secondary' EA attacks.

For example:

Light: Light Ring (from the RP in Forum Games, 1x PA, +3, 1.4x Lvl)

Omnidirectional,
10PsP

Hey Thats my Idea  :P. How, people sure like to take my ideas and art *cough*Im2smart4u*cough*
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Ertxiem

The confusion appeared because I was too succinct.

I agree with left & right jab (two distinct diagonal attacks) suggested to the spearman. I agree that one should come a couple of levels after the other.

I also tried to make up some explanation to the previously commented attack by the spearman that strikes simultaneously to the left and right (not to the diagonals). The spearman could strike right and simultaneously kick left, thus attacking 2 enemies.

I liked the light ring. It may be another branch, starting from light blast and going to shockwave.

Pyro hail is already implemented. Perhaps I'm missing something...

The freeze attack might be hard to code. I think something like that was discussed in the old forums: a total shield that would allow that character to move.

The surprise blast seems a bit too powerful due to the piercing. Anyway, the PsP seems too much, since pyro hail also costs 12 PsP, affects 5 squares and we don't end up with our backs against the enemy. What about the mix between shadowport and dark vortex suggested in the old forums? I don't recall it exactly (and I'm a bit lazy to look it up) but I think we would shadowport into the middle of a dark vortex. Or was the shadowport out of the dark vortex? Both ways are useful...
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Zhampir

the omnidirectional attacks could be there own tree seperate from the "bomb" attacks.

KZ

Interetsing- I certainly was thinking of suggesting another area attack for Heat, as Pyro Hail was inferior in all aspects, from the discussion in another forums.
So having two sets of area attacks would be interesting, as it would allow the player to have an intermediate stage and really apprecaite the strength of full-blown area attacks. But we need to really make them balanced. I think there is no trouble with Fire Gate- make it cost 17, and deal intermediate damage between Dark Vortex and Light Bomb.
With the secondary EA attacks, variety might come in handy, but of the 3 proposed, I only really see the Light Attack almost fitting in style and not difficult to code in. But then it would be a logical lead-up to Shockwave, rather than Light Bomb.
Then there is also the question of why no one every used those secondary attacks before?

For ice, as a lead up to Cryo Cross, methinks an attack in 4 horizontal/vertical directions with shrads of ice might do the trick- expansion into omnidirectional+1 form will only be natural!

OOXOO
OOXOO
XXXXX
OOXOO
OOXOO

Say, let it have 10 PsP and it will be like Pyro Hail- Fire Gate duo.

You know, for the Shadow attack, why not rip-off Pyro Hail, excpet with Shadow Blasts and maybe for vortex-like shape and originality, have the cross the wrong way (and give the same cost, or even a bit cheaper- say 11):

XOX
OXO
XOX
OFO

X=hit, O=miss, F=caster

Again, it seems like a logical lead-up to Dark Vortex.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

cyso

You know, for the Shadow attack, why not rip-off Pyro Hail, excpet with Shadow Blasts and maybe for vortex-like shape and originality, have the cross the wrong way (and give the same cost, or even a bit cheaper- say 11):

XOX
OXO
XOX
OFO

X=hit, O=miss, F=caster
How would the shadow attack have a vortex like shape? I think the shadowport/dark vortex attack is better. It could cost 17 like fire gate, and be omnidirectional instead of ranged. The hero would vanish in the dark vortex and reappear somewhere else.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

KZ

Shadowport is learnably only by Shadowlings, and that attack was discussed in terms of being given to Malis, which, methinks is more suiting, than the Shadowporting Main. (He also can't Shadpowrt separately anway, so how would he be able to do it and perform an attack?)
Well, it will all depend on animation, right, so if each of the tiles is hit by a Shadow Blast like animation, the outer-rim ones can all be animated in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, thus making a vortex-like shape.
Welcome to the forums!

cyso

I think that a smaller version of dark vortex would look better than the X shaped one.

KZ

But what area would it cover? Other reasonable combinations, like a 2x2, will be too small in comparison to Pyro Hail, methinks.
Welcome to the forums!

Presentiment

A 2x2?

Bad idea; it isn't symmetrical, and how do you explain that?

KZ

Exactly my point: what area would it cover? A small vortex would be like a 2x2, but I have trouble applying that symmetrically onto the map.
Welcome to the forums!

cyso

A smaller dark vortex could be a omnidirectional attack with the main at the middle of the vortex.