News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW781

I'm for the formulation of Fire Gust. Not sure about Contribute, it seems uneeded. I never found that I had three people lined up that were out of, or close to being out of, Psp
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

SmartyPants

Quote from: im2smart4u on August 03, 2010, 03:23:44 PM
Contribute- Luca has become so skilled at transfering PsP that she can contribute PsP to as much as three teammates at once.
Range: 1 (the 3 spaces infront)
Cost: Psy Power + Contribute Level
Amount Transferred: (Psy Power + Contribute Level)/2
Status Effects: Target's PsP increases

OXXXO
OOLOO
OOOOO

L = Luca
X = Target space
O = uneffected space

Quote from: MikeW781 on August 04, 2010, 10:07:45 AM
Not sure about Contribute, it seems uneeded. I never found that I had three people lined up that were out of, or close to being out of, Psp
To say Contribute is unneeded is like saying Long Shield is unneeded.  Unless all your attacks are Bow, Melee, and Knife, there is no way you wouldn't find it usefull to give PsP to three teammates at once.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on August 04, 2010, 12:45:42 PM
Not sure about Contribute, it seems uneeded. I never found that I had three people lined up that were out of, or close to being out of, Psp
To say Contribute is unneeded is like saying Long Shield is unneeded.  Unless all your attacks are Bow, Melee, and Knife, there is no way you wouldn't find it usefull to give PsP to three teammates at once.
Its not a relative comparison. Despite the fact that both are area attacks, hte comparison falls short because most characters run out of Psp when they are engaged in longer battles, and tend to be more spread out. I personally did use Transfer multiple times in different battles, but never ended up wanting to have an area version of Transfer. It might be my preferred tactics, (encircling the enemy using small groups) but I never would use this attack.

Cypher

I agree. I see no need for contribute.

SmartyPants

Quote from: MikeW781 on August 04, 2010, 01:15:01 PM
hte comparison falls short because most characters run out of Psp when they are engaged in longer battles, and tend to be more spread out.
If the teammates are spread out, then how do you use Long Shield or Big Shield?  Are those attacks unneeded too?  Plus, almost everyone knows that spreading their team far apart makes them vulnerable to being ganged up on.

So you only heal when teammates are on the verge of death and only transfer PsP when their supply is depleted?  That is a terrible strategy.

Well maybe good tacticians can find Contribute useful.

algebra15

It seems like you're strongly for Contribute, im2smart4u. However, the area of the attack being horizontal doesn't sem right. Also, I never find that I need PsP donation, or that much healing for that matter. I play on Brutal friendly-fire, and I still see no need for it. If you truly profess to be a "good" tactician, maybe you shouldn't need it at all? Criticizing mike's playing strategy does not give you any more credibility. If it works for him, it works for him. By definition. I don't believe I heard him say that his characters were being killed left and right. Anyway, you were strongly against the idea of selling, or  otherwise recieving compensation for Soul Charges, saying you should need them if you play on Brutal + Friendly Fire. Does a good tactician get his units killed? If you're against removing additional Soul Charges, but for another move to make the game even easier, perhaps you ought to make a choice...
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

SmartyPants

Quote from: algebra15 on August 04, 2010, 05:02:33 PMAnyway, you were strongly against the idea of selling, or  otherwise recieving compensation for Soul Charges, saying you should need them if you play on Brutal + Friendly Fire. If you're against removing additional Soul Charges, but for another move to make the game even easier, perhaps you ought to make a choice...
Don't incorrectly tell me what my beliefs are!
Quote from: im2smart4u on July 22, 2010, 04:36:19 PM
I understand if you have more Soul Charges then you know what to do with, but "Soul Capacitor from Gelf" is a terrible solution.  I am not against getting rid of useless soul charges.  I am against bad ideas that don't fit into the Telepath world.
You don't have to disagree with me on every occasion, because I explained how your "Soul Capacitor" idea is stupid.

algebra15

Quote from: im2smart4u on July 21, 2010, 01:47:49 PM
Quote from: rainen on July 21, 2010, 09:49:35 AM
All throughout the game I have NEVER lost a unit. 
You should try turning on Friendly Fire on.

While I may have been incorrectly reading too much into that response, I thought that that implied you think if one has too many Soul Charges, one ought to turn the difficulty up, and thus that a system of removal and compensation for the Soul Charges would be unneccesary.

Quote from: im2smart4uideas that don't fit into the Telepath RPG universe

Hmm... in a world where lumps of stone and metal come to life to guard humans and black balls with smoky tails that tap into the enrgy of the universe by a bizarre twist in their genetics, and where the spirits of the living with unfinished business freeze everyone around them, or chop off limbs with ghostly axes, and where great flying sapient bats breathe fire, and where little green people sell anyone that walks by a flamethrower and a Psy capacitor for these lumps of stone, and a lamp with an orb of power in it... a device that stores Soul Energy instead of raw Psy energy-- doesn't fit?

This really isn't the place to debate this though. If I have misunderstood the ideas you were expressing in the other topic, my sincerest apologies. However, this is a free forum, and I can give my ideas. Rather than fighting you, I will just say-- I don't like the idea of Contribute.
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

Cypher

As far as I'm concerned, Im2smart4u is the only one who likes contribute.

SmartyPants

Quote from: algebra15 on August 04, 2010, 09:42:07 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on July 21, 2010, 01:47:49 PM
Quote from: rainen on July 21, 2010, 09:49:35 AM
All throughout the game I have NEVER lost a unit. 
You should try turning on Friendly Fire on.
While I may have been incorrectly reading too much into that response, I thought that that implied you think if one has too many Soul Charges, one ought to turn the difficulty up, and thus that a system of removal and compensation for the Soul Charges would be unneccesary.
You are incorrectly reading too much into it.

Quote from: im2smart4uideas that don't fit into the Telepath RPG universe
Hmm... in a world where lumps of stone and metal come to life to guard humans and black balls with smoky tails that tap into the enrgy of the universe by a bizarre twist in their genetics, and where the spirits of the living with unfinished business freeze everyone around them, or chop off limbs with ghostly axes, and where great flying sapient bats breathe fire, and where little green people sell anyone that walks by a flamethrower and a Psy capacitor for these lumps of stone, and a lamp with an orb of power in it... a device that stores Soul Energy instead of raw Psy energy-- doesn't fit?
That says something when a mystical telepathic world doesn't have room for a bad idea where a naturistic, weak-psy race builds a machine that holds humans souls.

Rather than fighting you, I will just say-- I don't like the idea of Contribute.
I can respect that.

bugfartboy

Mind Ravage: Malis

"As it turns out, Malis has discovered how to use her natural ability to feed off of human anguish and turn it into the ultimate attack by putting the target into so much pain she can feed.

Damage: Mind Blast level+attack level*2

Range: 1

SmartyPants

Mind Ravage sounds like a leveled up Mind Blast.  Instead of creating a new attack, wouldn't it be easier to just level up Mind Blast?

Since no one seems to like the idea of a multispace Transfer, that go back to Fire Gust and Frost Gust.

Mind Shield 2-After some training, Set has learned to create a Mind Shield farther away.
Element: Shield
Range: 2 Space
Cost: 4 Psy Points
Healing: Psy Defense + Mind Shield 2 Level

bugfartboy

I meant for it to be a kind of feedback but with a closer range. Meaning since Malis is a assassin type, she would be a little more self dependent.

SmartyPants

Then why not suggest Feedback?  It fits since Darkling can learn feedback and TRPG2 Dual mode has Psy Assassins who know Feedback.

MikeW781

Feedback has been formulated:
Quote from: KZ on March 15, 2010, 09:52:05 PM
1). This idea was initially suggested by me. Let Malis have the same attacks as Darkling, so that she can be an self-reliant unit and more useful later on in the game. She's also more like Darkling, than Shadowboxer, so since he could learn it, why can't she?
Malis
-Feedback
No offense bugfartboy, but having the same attack with a range one space shorter seems redundant