News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New attacks for teammates

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

The ability to increase a teammate's speed is too powerful? Then why is dark breath not too powerful an attack?

If it's not costly enough for you, I could change that, but I know for a fact that the calculations aren't difficult to program; the only thing I'm concerned about is the one condition, which you name as if it were many.

SmartyPants

I am sure that you guys have noticed the big difference in the Hero's lethality when Arman gives him an extra step.  The ability to increase all your teammates speeds by one seems too powerful.

ArtDrake

With the damage formula shown, the cost would increase dramatically as the speed went up, and units that are slow to begin with are more costly to boost.

Zackirus

Quote from: Duckling on October 23, 2010, 02:23:06 PM
The ability to increase a teammate's speed is too powerful? Then why is dark breath not too powerful an attack?

Well, I don't see too many dark spirggats floating around and attacking people left and right. Besides even though it is a high cost, it is way to cheap. It is a good idea but it just can't work.

Luca: Rejuvenate

Effect: Restores Psy Points by Psy Power X 2.5 (rounded up)
Cost: 0
Range: Self
Backstory: Luca has always needed to restore a lot of Psy Points quickly but she can't always have a enemy in range for Soul Suck. With this attack, Luca can replenish Psy Points quicker and faster so she can use them or give them away.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

The Holy namelesskitty

That sounds good but she can't just do that magically, tell us how.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on October 23, 2010, 05:31:31 PMBackstory: Luca has always needed to restore a lot of Psy Points quickly but she can't always have a enemy in range for Soul Suck. With this attack, Luca can replenish Psy Points quicker and faster so she can use them or give them away.
She isn't out of range for soul suck very often.  She could also focus when she can't use soul suck.

ArtDrake

Oi! I'm still defending my idea, thank you very much!

What do you mean, "even though it is a high cost, it is way too cheap"? That's self-contradictory. Please explain what you mean.

And you only boost one or two teammates' speeds BY ONE at a time, at a high cost to Luca. For example, if the character starts with 5 speed, the cost of upping the speed by one is, progressively,

9, 12, 15, 19, and this soon becomes unreasonable and only applicable as a novelty, as should most powerful buffs like this. However, if your character has been hit by Dark Breath to the extent they can't move, and the Black Spriggat is slain, then the cost is

0 (shouldn't be much cost to shaking them out of a daze; if you have a problem with the cost of 0 at speed 0, I could add a y-intercept), 1, 3, 5, and 7 to get them back to full speed again, taking 5 turns and 16 PsP to get them there.

I would say its prohibitive cost at higher speeds makes it unuseful as a method of god-boosting your character while hiding behind a rock, then exploding across the battlefield at speeds unknown (you can already do that to a certain extent with Set; just use Static Shield and give yourself 1000 health; the idea of god-boosting isn't new), but good as a method of giving rahel just that extra square she needs to use Trueshaft and win the battle. As such, I am fully for Ghost Feet.

The Holy namelesskitty

You said it would become a novelty, then you said it would be helpful, which do you mean?

SmartyPants

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on October 23, 2010, 10:40:19 PM
You said it would become a novelty, then you said it would be helpful, which do you mean?
It would be a novelty, but in the rare cases when you can't use soul suck, you can focus.

The Holy namelesskitty

I guess that makes sense, thanks.

ArtDrake

Were you referring to Zack's idea or mine?

'Cause I said that at much higher speeds than the character was originally intended to go, the cost becomes ridiculously high, impractical, and it is a "novelty" to have a Hero moving at speed 10. It would be very useful to be able to go that extra square, or unparalyze your charactre, though.

The Holy namelesskitty

That also makes sense and answers my question, thank you.

bugfartboy

Duckling: Rediculous.
Zach: I have to ask: Does Luca have a pocket of endless focus pills? Or how does she do it?

Zackirus

Quote from: im2smart4u on October 23, 2010, 10:30:01 PM
Quote from: Zackirus on October 23, 2010, 05:31:31 PMBackstory: Luca has always needed to restore a lot of Psy Points quickly but she can't always have a enemy in range for Soul Suck. With this attack, Luca can replenish Psy Points quicker and faster so she can use them or give them away.
She isn't out of range for soul suck very often.  She could also focus when she can't use soul suck.

When I use Luca, she is usually behind my Light Based Hero, who is far from the fight. In my case she is usually not able to use Soul Suck and even if she did, I still only get 15 Psy Points, which gives me 17 (once I have used Light Bomb Twice) and I need to wait another turn to use it again. Also (My Luca has 15 Psy Power) only gets 15 Psy Points when she uses Soul Suck and 3 if she focuses. With this attack, I can get Luca to regain almost 37-38 Psy Points in one turn.

Quote from: The Holy namelesskitty on October 23, 2010, 09:23:31 PM
That sounds good but she can't just do that magically, tell us how.

She spends the turn hyper-focusing almost to the point of she forgets the world around her. She then enters an almost sub-awake state where she regains her Psy Points very quickly!
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

So are you saying that there is a Psi Energy world?