News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

im2smart4u is right: bombs, guns and the lot don't fit in with the style of Telepath Universe at all.
The flying golem idea has been discussed before on the forums, but forget not that this is supposed to be a heavy support unit with its great disadvantage coming from limited mobility. There is also the issue of applying the right technologies, as our vision of a flying golem just didn't find a neat enough solution that would fit into the style of TSoG.  Still, a flying enemy unit for the Helenites would be a great idea (from the looks of it, they should be technologically superior than the Mechanics and be using Dorgon-type models all the time)!

At the same time, going back to the ranged golem, I found another issue: although it is crdeible that the archers may carry a large number of arrows with them, where would a ranged golem find all the rocks to catapult at the enemy mid-battle? They would take up a lot of space and not many could be carried around. The issue of running out of ammo is usually not applicable to TRPG battles, but this can potentially be the first instance which cannot be adequately explained.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zhampir

couldn't the boulder simply be psy controlled?

hellboy222

still they would take up space and it would be of the limited variety.

KZ

The problem with the boulder is not that it can't be psy controlled, but, rather, that the boulder has to come from somewhere, and I doubt a golem could teleport one onto the battlefield. And as they take up a lot of space, the golem will run out of boulders pretty fast.
Still, I do like the idea of a ranged golem, so I definitely welcome any suggestions which could circumvent the issue!
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

hellboy222

maybe using psy it takes chunks of dirt compresses it until it's as dense as rock and then using it's strength hurl them then as long as there's earth they have ammo?

KZ

An excavating golem? Neat solution, that! The only thing I can say is that it won't work over certain surfaces like bridges and chasms, or grass. But still: very neat solution!

PS

Here is what Zackrius has to say about his Glimp (published with his permission, of course):
"First of all, it is not a golem. It does not run by itself. It can be controlled by heating the air in the ballon, almost like how a hot air ballon flies. If that does not fit the Telepath style it can also be powered by psy crystals giving the power to float. Second, I wanted to say that the speed is up for depate. I personally like it having the option of gving itself more speed. But, its speed upgrade can only work once or twice giving the option of attacking with full force or striking first. I am willing to change its spped though. Third, about the bombs, they are not highly polished lead sealed bombs, but unstable fused rocks that come from the deeper mines. If this does not fit, the person in the blimp can chip away a small peice of the crystal controllig it and drop it down on the enemies. I am willing to take suggestions to make this unit more balanced (battle wise) and apporiate for the Telepath Seris."

My thoughts on this:

"Firstly, one has to consider the battleengine for the unit: this unit will be big, and the way it has to be designed is such that it can fit into one tile quite believably. Hence, a ballon might just not be enough to do so. A hovercraft of sorts, or a hang-glider (I like this option more) might do the trick. Next, the speed boost I think can be left out, but the speed can be made to be something like 3 (since most of Craig's AI is made for 3 speed and not above, and anything below 3 is a bit strange for a flying machine). Make it wooden and it can be light and possible to use: don't forget that the Mechanics rely on non-Psy methods to get their work done- even the high energy crystals only act as Psy-storage devices, but the mechanics are not generating them, they're simlpy manipulating them. I think instead of bombs, one can change this to a cross-bow, from above: it can deal 14 damage, like the Marksman, but have the advantage of flying over obstacles. I envisage the clothing of the hang-glider to be in the same colours as that of the marksman, possibly, like they print country flags on parachutes on occaison. Suicide bombing isn't really appropriate, and, methinks, coding of said unit can have it one attack only, and that would be sufficient, maybe add a counter-attack, like with the Marksman. This, methinks, fits the style of the Telepath world a bit better."

Also, new name for the unit: "Gliding Archer", again, suggested by Zackrius.

Welcome to the forums!

cyso

I like the excavating golem idea, and I also had my own. They could fire a boulder (or mace) with a chain on it. That way, you could pull it back.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Zackirus

The boulder that drags you back. I'm not a big fan of it. What happens if it draggs you over a chasm over water wouldn't you then die? No, I like the idea of the boulder being fired but not pulling you pack. I doupt their a scirpt to support that idea though. Nice idea though
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Zackirus

Gliding Archer

After collecting the many lightweight sheets of thin cloth. The Helanites have created a glider. The sheets and been have been tightly bound and tied to a light wooden frame. The glider's passanger it connected to the frame via lightweight leather straps. This means that the archer can have his/her hand's free so he can shoot targets.

Health: 25
PsP: 20
Speed: 3
Attack:
Piercing Crosbow: (Range 2-3, Cost 4 Psp, Attack: 14)
Resistance: None
Immunity: Short Ranged Attacks(Range 1 Attacks) (It would make sense, as how can a sword hit something in the air) (Could make it a Resistance Though)

The unit would have a bird's eye view on it showing the top of the sails (The white part) with the arms, the head, and feat of the archer sticking out at the back sides andd front.  
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

cyso

Um, how would a glider fly for the entire battle? Neat idea, though.
As for the boulder (or mace), the boulder/mace would have to be ridiculously huge to drag a golem into a river.

Zackirus

Quote from: yogc on March 05, 2010, 07:11:52 PM
Um, how would a glider fly for the entire battle? Neat idea, though.
As for the boulder (or mace), the boulder/mace would have to be ridiculously huge to drag a golem into a river.

If the wind is just right then a glider can relativity stay in the same spot, by swayying side to side

- Lord Canada

KZ

Ok, I like the Glinding Archer more now! The Crossbow can eb a standard attack, there is no need to add PsP cost, since it will be used by an enemy unit, and thus not take up PsP (and it's a physical attack, so that it doesn't need the Psy abilities of a person).
Also, I am not sure about the immunity- that would be too difficult to code, methinks. Plus, look how all the other flying units get no immunity- maybe have this glider slide along very close to the ground, such that it cannot easily pass over any other teammate (hence inability of any flying unit to move over a tile occupied by a teammate or an enemy). The person could be a cross-bow man with Light Resistance armor, though- they do have the technology to make one, which is pretty impressive.
The issue of wind is a big one, though- especially since it won't be there all the time, and how can the person control the glider? Solutions, ideas, anyone? (Not psy crystals- Helenites don't have Psys, as far as we know- remember how the Cultist threatened to use the Helenites instead? He wouldn't have done so if there were Psy folks amongst them.)

I don't like the throw-&-drag idea really, especially as it is, in a way, implemenetd in the Spin-Saw attack of the Bronze Golem, with the retractable blade. Still, creative ideas are good, keep them coming!
Welcome to the forums!

cyso

The fact that the throw and drag idea looks like a bronze golem is probably due to the fact that I based the throw and drag idea off of a bronze golem. To tell the truth, though, I think the excavating idea is pretty good.

Zackirus

The Improved Gliding Archer

Gliding Archer

After collecting the many lightweight sheets of thin cloth. The Helanites have created a glider. The sheets and been have been tightly bound and tied to a light wooden frame. The glider's passanger it connected to the frame via lightweight leather straps. This means that the archer can have his/her hand's free so he can shoot targets.

Health: 25
PsP: 0
Speed: 3
Attack:
Piercing Crosbow: (Range 2-3, Cost 0 Psp, Attack: 14)
Counter Attack: (Range 1-2, Attack: 10)
Resistance: Light
Immunity: None

- Lord Canada

KZ

Indeed, it is appealing, very creative, but there is the issue of certain surfaces which are not prone to excavation, and bridges are one prime example of that. (A shame, really, but it doesn't quite cover all the basis.)

Gliding Archer: Piercing Crossbow is good. Maybe it can be extra large simply due to the fact that some of the weight is supported by the gliders frame. How can in-air control can be explained though?
Welcome to the forums!