News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KZ

Well, possibly, but if it's a basic unit, then surely those guys will be of comparable strength to the Mechanics? After all, 40 is even beyond a mechanic captain! Plus, during mission 3 we fight off the Mechanics, and mission 4 is straight after that and doesn't require that much upgrading on behalf of the player. In fact, to be in line with this idea, let's call the unit a Helenite Captain, so that the health is comparable.
Plus, methinks people are overpowering their units currently by quite a lot- if we all were to play the full game, I think no one would bother waiting around mission 3 to level up their characters by quite a lot- exactly the same happened during TRPG2 testing, where people were saying that the difficulty is too easy during the later stages of the game, and I think it is partly to that that the difficulty of missions 5, 6 and 7 is quite higher than of the previous missions, forcing the player to farm for gold for quite some time. Methinks it's worth avoiding the problem, as we're already seeing quite a steep difficulty curve and too much grinding isn't really going to give much fun to players.

PS
Ah, zackirus, you posted whilst I was writing this- well, I don't mind the idea too much, and I do like the idea of an attack that blocks counter-attacks, I just simply cannot imagine realistically anyone going around with just a shield to defend/attack. That's not really a weapon with which one can hurt an enemy much. Maybe give them a knife or something as well?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zackirus

Rainville Shield-Bearer

These armoured warriors don't pack much of a punch but they have high health and hard to kill. They wear heavy armour from head to toe, and the carry a heavy shield and a sword.

Health: 70
Speed: 2
Attacks: Melee (Range 1, Damage: 8 ), Shield Thrust (Range: 1, Damage: 6, Special Effect: It prevents counter-attack)
Resistance: Physical
Immunity: None

KZ, do you think this would work better?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

KZ

Yep! Also, one then will have to decide when the unit uses one attack over the other, since they're both the same range.
For instance, one could also suggest Shield Thrust to be only used as a defensive measure when someone counter-attacks them (though would it be difficult to code in the ability to recognise when a counter-attack is due)?  Then use melee on units who don't counter-attack (and then reduce the damage from shield thrust, or increase the melee damage to make this a tactically important step- which attack to provoke from this unit)- which will then give much greater damage.

Just to keep this idea in sight:

Helenite Captain
Health: 40
Speed: 3
Attacks: Melee (Range: 1; Damage: 12), Whirlwind (Range: Omnidirectional; Damage: 10)
Resistance: none
Immunity: none

Thoughts, folks?
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Zackirus

Instead, why not have it has a passive ability, instead of a move, then their would be less programming invovled.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Ertxiem

What if the Shield Bearer had 50% damage reduction to all attacks made from the front (except, perhaps, mind attacks). That would make sense (but it might be even harder to code than preventing a counter). An alternative, easier to code, would be a 50% damage reduction to all attacks. That would made the Shield Bearer an unit quite hard to beat in battle (perhaps well suited if we consider him an high rank unit).

I also liked the idea of the Helenite Captain .
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

MikeW781

I am for the Helenite Captain, while I think the shield bearer would be out of place, and ignored. Despite being used to defend low health units, most characters would ignore the shield bearer untill the archers and healers were dead.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Zackirus

Quote from: Ertxiem on September 03, 2010, 08:13:42 PM
What if the Shield Bearer had 50% damage reduction to all attacks made from the front (except, perhaps, mind attacks). That would make sense (but it might be even harder to code than preventing a counter). An alternative, easier to code, would be a 50% damage reduction to all attacks. That would made the Shield Bearer an unit quite hard to beat in battle (perhaps well suited if we consider him an high rank unit).

He already has Physical Resistance All around. How about make him have a 75% Resistance to the front.

I do consider him to be a high rank unit. I was thinking they would be personal guards of high-level priests.

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on September 03, 2010, 06:57:53 PM
Rainville Shield-Bearer

Health: 70
Speed: 2
Attacks: Melee (Range 1, Damage: 8 ), Shield Thrust (Range: 1, Damage: 6, Special Effect: It prevents counter-attack)
Resistance: Physical
Immunity: None
What is "Rainville"?  With massive health and low attack damage, this enemy will pose little danger, while taking forever to kill.  He is not a spirit, so he shouldn't get Physical resistance.

Quote from: KZ on September 03, 2010, 07:09:49 PMJust to keep this idea in sight:

Helenite Captain
Health: 40
Speed: 3
Attacks: Melee (Range: 1; Damage: 12), Whirlwind (Range: Omnidirectional; Damage: 10)
I like it.  Most people overthink their enemy ideas, but this idea is simple and good.

Zackirus

Ravinallian Shield-Bearer (My Mistake)

He is a wall unit used to hamper melee units until aditional help can arrive. He has a huge, heavy iron Shield and he wears Steel Armour from head to toe. I think that a sword/arrow isn't going to do much damage.

- Lord Canada

KZ

Thanks, folks! If a couple of more people like the idea, then maybe I'll make it formulated (5 people for it,  algebra17 mentioned low hp issues, let's see what he says about it after my explanation).

Ravinalian Shield-Bearer: I see the concept, and it is interesting, but really honestly, there is something which I can't quite put my finger on it which makes me agree with MikeW781 that it would be slightly out of place. Maybe take the idea of a unit which nullifies counter-attacks and apply it to another unit? Say,  more in line with what see in TPA2 (after all, we already have what looks like the full Ravinale Guards layout, with Snipers and the rest making it into the game)- maybe apply this idea to Helenites instead, or to the Mechanics-   a unit with heavy armor which is evidenced by Physical Resistance. Say, Mechanic Legionary (though I think the name would've better applied to Ravinale Legionary, oh well).
Welcome to the forums!

bugfartboy

Quote from: Zackirus on September 03, 2010, 10:38:11 PM
Ravinallian Shield-Bearer (My Mistake)

He is a wall unit used to hamper melee units until aditional help can arrive. He has a huge, heavy iron Shield and he wears Steel Armour from head to toe. I think that a sword/arrow isn't going to do much damage.

Quote from: KZ on September 04, 2010, 07:25:49 AM
Thanks, folks! If a couple of more people like the idea, then maybe I'll make it formulated (5 people for it,  algebra17 mentioned low hp issues, let's see what he says about it after my explanation).

Ravinalian Shield-Bearer: I see the concept, and it is interesting, but really honestly, there is something which I can't quite put my finger on it which makes me agree with MikeW781 that it would be slightly out of place. Maybe take the idea of a unit which nullifies counter-attacks and apply it to another unit? Say,  more in line with what see in TPA2 (after all, we already have what looks like the full Ravinale Guards layout, with Snipers and the rest making it into the game)- maybe apply this idea to Helenites instead, or to the Mechanics-   a unit with heavy armor which is evidenced by Physical Resistance. Say, Mechanic Legionary (though I think the name would've better applied to Ravinale Legionary, oh well).
I like the sheild-bearer/mechanic legionary idea. I think it would kinda fill a void.

Cypher

I don't like the shield-bearer idea... but like KZ said, I can't quite put my finger on it too...

KZ

Ok, just to keep on the other issue as well- is anyone else liking/disliking the Helenite Captain who uses Whirlwind?

As for Mechanic Legionary- maybe someone can think of some other way in how to present the idea in-game which might be more appealing?
Welcome to the forums!

Cypher

I like the Helenite Captain idea.

ArtDrake

As do I, but personally I'd prefer not to have to fight a Helenite at all, but if I did, sounds like a great enemy idea!