News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrono

Oh well, can't argue with that now. My fault for not checking again. Still, I don't know why you want your idea in so badly. That doesn't mean I don't like the idea. I actually do, but clearly others don't. I could do with speed of 4, so ask the other voters again.
[spoiler=Infinity, explained in 3 different words]

[/spoiler]

ArtDrake

My point; abstract isn't what ya got, or so I thought.

And doesn't anyone want their idea in? But, as the overwhelming majority has an unbased prejudice against it, the idea goes onto the cutting room floor. Except it was never in anything to cut it out of.

Chrono

Quote from: Duckling on October 11, 2010, 01:16:40 AM
My point; abstract isn't what ya got, or so I thought.

And doesn't anyone want their idea in? But, as the overwhelming majority has an unbased prejudice against it, the idea goes onto the cutting room floor. Except it was never in anything to cut it out of.
Sorry, removed the abstract part. It was a bad thing to say. And yeah, we do want our ideas in, but I would accept it anyway even if my idea was flatly rejected. Just come up with a better one, I'm pretty sure you can. Don't ask me why I suddenly changed my tone, I was never asking for an argument in the first place. Maybe I got caught up halfway, but that wasn't what I intended.

[/spoiler]

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on October 05, 2010, 06:17:11 PM
War Engine
HP: 50
Speed: 5 (to start with)
Attacks: Projectile (14 physical damage), Rust (Default: reduces own speed by 1)
Resistance to Heat (steam engine: heat only helps it burn hotter; it's a compromise between structural damage and better working. Instead of upping the damage done by 4 for every Heat attack sent its way [althrough that would be cool], it instead just gets a 50% damage reduction. Possibly used by the mechanics. Then again, they already have their golem tank units, so maybe this can be more of a Helenite thing.
The War Engine idea is so bad that I didn't find it worth discussing, so I continued to ignore it and addressed better ideas.
Since you continue to bring it up despite it's unpopularity, I will have to try to shoot it down.

A) The name "War Engine" is uncreative and could describe anything.
B) For the thousandth time, NO SPEEDS GREATER THEN FOUR!
C) What is the challenge of an enemy that gradually becomes more harmless?
D) Why would the engine turn to rust at supper speeds? I live in one hundred percent humidity and it still takes hours for signs of rust to show up on any metal, yet your war engine is rusting at a baffling rate in the desert.
E) If you know anything about engines, then you would know that they are vulnerable to overheating.  Adding heat to an engine would not make it more effective, but would likely make it break.
F) This type of technology doesn't fit within the Telepath world.  Golems seem like sentient beings, while your war engine idea seem like a lifeless, mindless machine.
G) Projectile? That could be anything that flies through the air.

War Engine: NAY!

Chrono

He did alter the speed to 4, but forgot to change it when he reposted. But yes, your points are convincing enough. Just try something else, Duckling. im2smart4u, you don't have to be this discouraging, even though you made a lot of sense. So just list the points in a more neutral tone. I know you're unhappy with the fact that he made it start with speed 5, but you don't have to go that far, especially since he did give in on the speeds.

[/spoiler]

bugfartboy

Woah, my head is spinning from all the multiple conversations going on but here goes.
Quote from: im2smart4u on October 11, 2010, 12:16:30 AM
Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 10, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
That's why the Flame Golem should have a uniqueish attack to separate it from Flint. I vote fire fist.
Why would we want to separate the Flame Golem from Flint when we are basing the golem off of Flint?

Quote from: Duskling on October 10, 2010, 11:06:15 PM
the Ravinale guard member who hired the Mechanics said he regretted it and should have hired the Helenites.
That was because they let Resistance soldiers into the camp.  If they hired Helenites and the Resistance got into the camp, then they would regret not hiring the Mechanics.
The point is not to base the flame golem off of Flint. It was to create an advanced golem. If we just give it a flamethrower, we might as well give it a spin saw, psi capacitor, and a steam engine and call it Flint. It needs an attack to sepaerate it. Hence:

Bean Burrito-All that extra gas has to go somewhere.
Flame Golem
Range:-1 & -2
Type:Fire (well it's hot ain't it?)
Damage:(you decide)

ArtDrake

im2smart4u: Let me address the points one by one:

• The reason I named it thusly is that it fits the idea I have in mind so aptly. How about "Mobile Cannon", or "Siege Ballista"?
  • For the thousandth time: YOU'RE BEING PREJUDICED, AND NOT EVEN CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT IT WOULDN'T USE THE 5 EVEN IF IT HAD IT, AND THAT I GOT RID OF IT!
  • The enemy doesn't become any less harmless. Only less mobile, and if you choose to avoid the enemy until he runs out of motion, that could take some effort (some challenge in and of itself), and still the enemy has good damage and a decent range (which, I might add, makes it all the harder to avoid him whilst he still moves)
  • If you don't like rust, maybe you can work with some degree of instability, leading the thing to fall apart. Like the Dorgon, it might be a test model.
  • I know enough about engines to know that a little heat doesn't hurt, but help, aiding the [insert organic matter here] burning. Fire attacks could also overheat the boiler, and warp the metal; I acknowledge this, and having done a bit more research, I revoke the Heat Resistance that, I even thought was iffy
  • We've established through the discussion of other enemies that they've come up with the wheel already, so we can safely assume they have carts. Then, the engine. If they have Golems with Flamethrowers, Capacitors that can store raw Psy Energy, and wait a sec... what is it that makes him go faster...? Oh, right: A STEAM ENGINE!
  • You don't like Projectile? Try "Slug."

The mechanics are good at lifeless machines, too. Energy golems don't seem to have much sentience, and Dorgon just had the capacity to use available info to make an answer. Sounds pretty lifeless to me. And it said in-game in TRPG2 that Flint was the first Stone Golem to really show emotion.

SmartyPants

War Engine vote

Nay:
Bugfartboy
im2smart4u
Zackirus

Yay:
Duckling

Zackirus

War Engine: Nay

Is everyone in agreeance with the:

Helenite Combat-Medic

Health: 35
Speed: 3
Attacks: Melee (Range: 1; Damage: 9) Patch Up/Mind Shield (Range: 1; Heals: 9)
Counter Attack: Melee (Range: 1; Damage 9)
Resistance: None
Immunity: None
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zackirus on October 11, 2010, 01:38:16 PM
Helenite Combat-Medic
Health: 35
Speed: 3
Attacks: Melee (Range: 1; Damage: 9) Patch Up/Mind Shield (Range: 1; Heals: 9)
Counter Attack: Melee (Range: 1; Damage 9)
*Why does every new enemy have a counter-attack?  This game is going to be really lame if you can't attack anyone from the front.
*Most healers can heal more than they can damage.
*Even if you make those changes, I am going to abstain from voting. We have already spent alot of time discussing enemies like the Greater Ghost or the Elite Spearman, but those suggestions were quickly ignored, because Craig already planned on creating those soldiers before we even suggested it.  I am sure that Criag already created or at least thought of the stats he is going to use for all Helenite soldiers, so it would be pointless to discuss this enemy.

Zackirus

This unit deals the same amount of damage as it heals because it was trained so that its healing and combat were on par. However, in doing so its overall abilites were decreased. With the counter attack- I can see now why some poeple may not like it so it can be removed. 
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

Okay, it's obvious no one likes the idea. If anyone has a reason, I'd like to know so I don't make the same mistakes when suggesting another idea.

The Holy namelesskitty

it's way too fast for what it is, the whole thing just seems to me to be... just... you know, it doesn't really fit.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

ArtDrake

No, I don't know -- and some schmo on a bike can go faster than most people running, and can keep it up longer. Same thing for the Siege Ballista, except it uses a steam engine. It's not too fast.

And a supersized (supersizing seems to be a theme; we have supersized bugs, supersized sentient bats, supersized scorpions) crossbow on wheels fits, in my perception.

bugfartboy

What'd does anyone think of the special attack for the Flame Golem to give it some diversity?
Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 11, 2010, 07:25:49 AM
Woah, my head is spinning from all the multiple conversations going on but here goes.
Quote from: im2smart4u on October 11, 2010, 12:16:30 AM
Quote from: Bugfartboy on October 10, 2010, 10:39:41 PM
That's why the Flame Golem should have a uniqueish attack to separate it from Flint. I vote fire fist.
Why would we want to separate the Flame Golem from Flint when we are basing the golem off of Flint?

Quote from: Duskling on October 10, 2010, 11:06:15 PM
the Ravinale guard member who hired the Mechanics said he regretted it and should have hired the Helenites.
That was because they let Resistance soldiers into the camp.  If they hired Helenites and the Resistance got into the camp, then they would regret not hiring the Mechanics.
The point is not to base the flame golem off of Flint. It was to create an advanced golem. If we just give it a flamethrower, we might as well give it a spin saw, psi capacitor, and a steam engine and call it Flint. It needs an attack to sepaerate it. Hence:

Bean Burrito-All that extra gas has to go somewhere.
Flame Golem
Range:-1 & -2
Type:Fire (well it's hot ain't it?)
Damage:(you decide)