News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on November 01, 2010, 09:14:33 PMNo. Don't be ridiculous. We are not going to have a "Wall" or "Door" class teammate any more than we will have "Small Furry Critter" teammate when facing scorpions, not would we have a "Tree" teammate if there were to be an enemy with a battleaxe.

The point of the Ram is that it is a useful tool for dealing with people that don't want to open their door in the middle of the night for the Cult to be dragged away to a dungeon somewhere. It just so happens that Rams could be useful if the occupants of said house (or cellar, as the case may be) have swords, bows, knives, Psy control, shields, spears, and fire breath, and retaliate.
A)In the intro of the story, it shows the Guard breaking open the door without a ram.
B)Your battleaxe example is horribley dumb.  A battleaxe is designed to kill infantrymen; not trees. A ram is designed to attack stationary structures; not infantrymen.
C)It is stupid to think that anyone would use a ram as a weapon.  When raiding a house, the guy would ram open the door and step aside to let team members rush in.  The person with the ram either stays where he is or he drops the ram and rushes in with a diffrent weapon.

Chrono

I agree. Nay on the ram.
[spoiler=Infinity, explained in 3 different words]

[/spoiler]

bugfartboy

With three nays, one yay, and one maybe, ram dies.

[spoiler=Don't mind this if you're gonna take me seriously]Dah dah dah, another one bites the dust.
Dah dah dah, another one b-ites the dust. [/spoiler]

cyso

Make that four nays. I think I like the name Ravinale Crusader, but I really don't see the worth, except maybe as a boss (or several bosses).
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

ArtDrake

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 01, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
A)In the intro of the story, it shows the Guard breaking open the door without a ram.

Some people have stronger doors than others.

B)Your battleaxe example is horribley dumb.  A battleaxe is designed to kill infantrymen; not trees. A ram is designed to attack stationary structures; not infantrymen

Says the guy that forgot to drop the "e" when he adds "ly".

Your sheer oppressive vanity is showing. I was using a battleaxe as a better way to relate to battle. If you so choose to point out the flaw in the analogy, think for a second about how else the analogy could work, rather than deeming anything you don't have time to conemplate dumb. People kill other people with fire axes (also for knocking down doors), pickaxes, woodaxes, and hatchets if other weapons are unavailable.

C)It is stupid to think that anyone would use a ram as a weapon.  When raiding a house, the guy would ram open the door and step aside to let team members rush in.  The person with the ram either stays where he is or he drops the ram and rushes in with a diffrent weapon.

There you go making personal remarks again. Who exactly is saying that anyone would use a ram as a weapon?

It is truly ridiculous to think that anyone would use a long, heavy stick on a horse to dismount the other bloke on a horse when they could, instead, hack at the horse with a broadsword. In the sense of the sheer devastating power of the lance, the ram could just as well be used as such. When the cavalry charge is over, he dismounts so as not to unnecessarily risk his horse, and continues hacking at the enemy with a broadsword again.

Buggy, your spoiler got the cause and effect wrong. If we mind it, we cease to take you seriously.

bugfartboy

Ducky, four nays is almost enough to get it killed. One more and we have over half of the necessary votes to make a decision. Would Sam like to speak it's mind on the matter?

Chrono

Quote from: Duckling on November 02, 2010, 09:08:53 PM
Not strong enough to actually require a ram, unless we're talking mansions with paranoid owners here.

Who exactly is saying that anyone would use a ram as a weapon?
If that's the case, wouldn't he already dismount and attack us with a sword? I don't see the point of having a ram anywhere as far as we're concerned.
[spoiler=Infinity, explained in 3 different words]

[/spoiler]

bugfartboy

Quote from: Chrono on November 03, 2010, 05:28:04 PM
Not strong enough to actually require a ram, unless we're talking mansions with paranoid owners here.
Or if you happen to be living in a literal fortress. And does the Hero? I don't think so.

cyso

Personally, I think a ram would be a little awkward to carry around and use as a weapon. Plus, why would the effect of using a (presumably) small ram cause the mover to move forward and extra space? And how would the person holding the ram melee a unit for so little damage? Couldn't they slam the person at close range? If not, then how else would they hit the person?
If you really want a heavy hitting infantry unit (aside from slow moving golems) try a war hammer or a mace. Ram just doesn't sound like the thing a guy would bring with him into combat.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

ArtDrake

Okay; how about a lance? Any people that will shoot that down on sight? I think it sounds like a Mechanic thing to do.

bugfartboy

A lance? It sounds outside of the time period. We have spears, pikes, swords, sythes, bows, knives, and more. Lance doesn't seem to fit.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on November 03, 2010, 09:22:20 PM
Okay; how about a lance? Any people that will shoot that down on sight?
Isn't a lance just a spear on horseback?  It would be pointless in a world without horses.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 03, 2010, 11:39:18 PM
Quote from: Duckling on November 03, 2010, 09:22:20 PM
Okay; how about a lance? Any people that will shoot that down on sight?
Isn't a lance just a spear on horseback?  It would be pointless in a world without horses.
It isn't yet proven that there aren't any horses on Cera Bella, but I agree that, until there is proof, this enemy should be put on hold.

The Holy namelesskitty

Horses would be really difficult to animate in square format, I say this as a graphic designer.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

ArtDrake

Didn't we have this duscussion already, but with scorpions, and people riding them? The kid in the Marid Clan Camp had a pet scorpion, so why no ridden ones?