News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Enemy Ideas

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyso

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 11, 2010, 10:05:38 AM
Quote from: Bugfartboy on November 11, 2010, 07:02:01 AM
How do you explain air blast? Doesn't it use air?
An air blast also wouldn't be able to hurt anyone.  At most, it will be able to push you back and fall on your butt.  The fall might hurt you, but the air itself wouldn't.
Well, a shock wave from a bomb (blast wave) is basically a shock wave of air supported by a trailing exothermic reaction. The air is condensed and flying at insane speeds, several times faster than a hurricane, and it would be a little extreme for a person to create the same effect with a hammer and psy abilities, but the air itself can and will kill you, or at least give you a concussion.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

SmartyPants

Quote from: yogc elf on November 11, 2010, 02:48:19 PMWell, a shock wave from a bomb (blast wave) is basically a shock wave of air supported by a trailing exothermic reaction. The air is condensed and flying at insane speeds, several times faster than a hurricane, and it would be a little extreme for a person to create the same effect with a hammer and psy abilities, but the air itself can and will kill you, or at least give you a concussion.
So you are saying that the hammer creates an explosion?  If an explostion extends from the hammer, then it would kill the Sentinel too, because the Sentinel woud be standing right next to the explosion.

Nay

bugfartboy

There are such things as shaped charges you know.

cyso

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 11, 2010, 06:10:44 PM
Quote from: yogc elf on November 11, 2010, 02:48:19 PMWell, a shock wave from a bomb (blast wave) is basically a shock wave of air supported by a trailing exothermic reaction. The air is condensed and flying at insane speeds, several times faster than a hurricane, and it would be a little extreme for a person to create the same effect with a hammer and psy abilities, but the air itself can and will kill you, or at least give you a concussion.
So you are saying that the hammer creates an explosion?  If an explostion extends from the hammer, then it would kill the Sentinel too, because the Sentinel woud be standing right next to the explosion.
No, I am saying the impact from the hammer creates a shock wave similar to the that of an explosion, only weaker, with no exothermic reaction. Instead, the hammer travels through the air and hits the ground with enough force to alter the density and speed of the air (and the ground, to some degree). Because the way the sentinel swings the hammer, and the way it hits the ground, the shock wave would be focus forward, like a shaped charge.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 11, 2010, 06:10:44 PM

Nay
You have yet to adress my post.

Quote from: MikeW781 on November 11, 2010, 10:51:35 AM
Quote from: MikeW781 on November 11, 2010, 08:35:46 AM
Fine then, how about the hammer strikes are essentially the same attack element as shockwave, but the Cult use the hammers to focus the attack (the hammers could have Psy- increasing abilities like orbs almost), because they believe it is Yawah aiding their hammer and not Psy abilities, and because it makes it look like this to other people.
So they fuse a hammer attack with the light element?  Since the shockwave-like attack is the only thing doing damage, then what is the point of hammer?  No one has ever been seen combining elements with melee weapons, so what makes the Sentinel special?
They use shockwave, but instead of clapping their hands like Tastidian, they swing a hammer. It allows them to believe that Yawah is aiding them, instead of realizing they are Psys. Its not a great explanation, but I think that this is a good idea, and we haven't gotten many of those recently. It would be dumb if a good idea fell through because we didn't have the imagination to explain it. Could you prehaps try to offer an alternative?
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Cypher

SmartyPants

Quote from: MikeW781 on November 11, 2010, 08:35:46 AMFine then, how about the hammer strikes are essentially the same attack element as shockwave, but the Cult use the hammers to focus the attack (the hammers could have Psy- increasing abilities like orbs almost), because they believe it is Yawah aiding their hammer and not Psy abilities, and because it makes it look like this to other people.
So they fuse a hammer attack with the light element?  Since the shockwave-like attack is the only thing doing damage, then what is the point of hammer?  No one has ever been seen combining elements with melee weapons, so what makes the Sentinel special?
They use shockwave, but instead of clapping their hands like Tastidian, they swing a hammer. It allows them to believe that Yawah is aiding them, instead of realizing they are Psys. Its not a great explanation, but I think that this is a good idea, and we haven't gotten many of those recently. It would be dumb if a good idea fell through because we didn't have the imagination to explain it.
What do you exspect me to say?  You said that your idea is so superior that is doesn't need necessaries like logic and reason.  I feel like I am prosecutting a criminal who says he is above the law.

MikeW781

Quote from: im2smart4u on November 12, 2010, 01:20:20 AM
Quote from: MikeW781 on November 11, 2010, 08:35:46 AMFine then, how about the hammer strikes are essentially the same attack element as shockwave, but the Cult use the hammers to focus the attack (the hammers could have Psy- increasing abilities like orbs almost), because they believe it is Yawah aiding their hammer and not Psy abilities, and because it makes it look like this to other people.
They use shockwave, but instead of clapping their hands like Tastidian, they swing a hammer. It allows them to believe that Yawah is aiding them, instead of realizing they are Psys. Its not a great explanation, but I think that this is a good idea, and we haven't gotten many of those recently. It would be dumb if a good idea fell through because we didn't have the imagination to explain it.
What do you exspect me to say?  You said that your idea is so superior that is doesn't need necessaries like logic and reason.  I feel like I am prosecutting a criminal who says he is above the law.
No. I said that a good idea, which is not mine by the way, should not be shot down by something as simple as a poor explanation, and that we need a better one. The idea is good, and the area and strength of the attacks make sense, we just need to fix the idea a bit. You should stop just telling us to scrap the idea due to a flaw that can be fixed, and maybe offer a solution for a change. It does very little good to your credibility to shut down ideas all the time, without considering that while an idea may not be fit for submission, it could be edited to do so. This idea especially is a solid idea that you have no flaws in except in its backstory, which can be changed with no edit to the good parts of the idea.

They could even scrap the hammer and just use Yawah's fire to do the same area and damage. Regardless, we should edit the idea instead of killing it completely.
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

cyso

Agreed. This unit would fit in nicely near the end of the game once we figure out the second attack. Alternatively, if we cannot agree on the attack, we could have them play a role similar to that of the Phantom Armors (slow moving, heavily armored, and packs a punch).

Zackirus

What about if he were to swing his Hammer in the shape of his attack and use his "Cult Powers" to all the squares, sort of like Impale. However, when he melee's a target, he will swing his hammer downwards, making for a devasting blow.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

Oi!! I'm a nay as well, and don't you guys dare say it's out of spite. This seems like too many other jumping, earthquake, area attacks that show up in just about every other RPG. TRPG series is unique, and I don't want to sacrifice the out-of-the-ordinary feel for something that isn't, as far as I'm concerned, a very great idea.

NAY.

Zackirus

I am proposing not an Earthquake like attack but an attack that is somewhat like Impale. The Sentinel swings his hammer in the shape of his attack never hitting the ground. What do you say if the enemy doesn't have an "eathquake" like attack Duckling.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

Sorry. I was a couple of pages out of date.

The health is too high, in my opinion.

Zackirus

The Health is for Brutal (which I play on), which is just a bit lower than a Dark Spriggat. I guess it would be 80-85 on Normal, also it does appear at the end of the game.

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

Can someone repost the stats for clarity?