News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Gaps in and bugs in enemy AI

Started by KZ, February 05, 2010, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mezzoforte

Hey, I found an example where the AI does nothing but dance around (indefinitely).  Here, the Bandit Raider just moves around the two sides of Arman, while I do nothing each turn.  It's kind of funny!

I have recognized that the AI is programmed to play positionally (it's quite clever in those ways!!).  Perhaps it's playing purely positionally here in this unlikely formation.  I know he's just waiting to get Set or to backstab someone.  But he can't do any of these in ONE turn.  So from his point of view, it's a stalemate (if I don't attack).

P.S. It's in Brutal mode

bugfartboy

I've noticed that in the cellar battles for Baz, the lesser ghosts have had the opportunity to backstab or just attack, and they havn't. I don't have any screenshots unfortunately. Sorry about that.

mezzoforte

By the way, I thought about it one day and realized that it's maybe not a "bug":  It's unlikely that players will do what I'm doing (i.e. nothing), and the fact that the AI does almost nothing as well simply says that it's a stalemate!  Since there's no way that the bandit can kill the stronger team members, all he can do is wait for Set to show himself.

Overall, I think it's okay, because I find the AI to be most clever in normal situations.

Zackirus

It also happens when you click the red merchant right beside the blue merchant.
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

CraigStern

Quote from: im2smart4u on October 04, 2010, 06:51:46 PM
The bandit healer healed the Stack of Moldy Barrels.  Can they do that?

Ah, yes. I still haven't gotten around to rewriting the enemy healer AI. It's one of the few AI routines left untouched from before TPA2. (I'll get around to it eventually.)

ArtDrake

The Bandit longbowman missed. Is this common?

CraigStern

That's the first I've heard of it. Where was he standing before he moved to take that shot?

ArtDrake

Oh.. I should go back and see.

I think they must have been one square above the square the attacked from, because they would have stayed back for a three, and I know they weren't in the square to start with; they would have moved back.

Any higher and they would have shot from North by going right, and if they were two North and one left, they would have used the far shot.

So I'm fairly sure they moved one square South to take the shot.

bugfartboy

In the first assasination mission, the bandit healer doesn't defend itself when I attack it. Is it supposed to do that?

Dean_Lukas

In the fight against the Warden at the end of the prologue mission, if I attack him with Rahel's Bow 2 he won't close to attack her. I probably could've killed him without him moving. (I know he's standing on the escape spot, so maybe that's intentional).
That awkward moment when your student's gone evil and wants to destroy you.

bugfartboy

It's intentional. None of the enemies put on capture spaces ever move.

Idozen Cair

Quote from: Dean_Lukas on March 06, 2011, 08:18:09 PM
In the fight against the Warden at the end of the prologue mission, if I attack him with Rahel's Bow 2 he won't close to attack her. I probably could've killed him without him moving. (I know he's standing on the escape spot, so maybe that's intentional).
That's why I put the 'Rahel's Bow 2 way' as the safe way against the Warden on the wiki. It's garunteed to work.
I doesn't care, do I?

sarlok

When Arman is delaying the guards during the rescue of your parents, I found a spot where you can go and the guards will not move.  I just have to move Arman here and wait out the battle.  I am playing on brutal difficulty.  I'm attaching a screenshot of the position that does this.