News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Started by Steel Ersatz Man, March 21, 2010, 10:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Ersatz Man

I also think that points should be determined by how good a post is rather than how many there have been. Also, you might want to ask another member (like you did with KZ and moderating) to help you out with rating them. (Not me.)
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

KZ

What points are you talking about, Ersatz Man?
There was a smite/applaud system that gave a +1/-1 to "karma" of a user in the old forums, but it was abused almost straight away, with users who disliked each other driving their karma into far negatives, which didn't necessarily reflect the degree of their constructive participation on the forums. Thus, it's best that instead of having one person (or many people) be a subjective judge (or give a subjective cumulative average), let everyone decide for themselves- there is a very easy way to see all posts of a person by going to their profile, and checking the "latest posts by user" link at the bottom of their profile. I don't think people will have too much trouble identifying those who write interesting posts and provide food for thought.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Xemadus Echina

my only goal is to see my name everywhere in the statistics :) but of course that will take a few days.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Frosty

What we would need for the karma thing to work is to only have one person work it. Completely unbiased to anything, even disagreements.
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Zhampir

hunh... not only do I find that logic faulty, but that would certainly create a lot more work for that one person.

KZ

No person is unbiased, so the job is clearly hard to carry out.
All I would like to point out is that any active forum memeber will soon learn the value of other people's contributions, regardless of number of posts had.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

The Holy namelesskitty

Maybe if someone created an AI that could distinguish thought provoking comments from pointless dither...

Maybe then, it could tirelessly rate comments on their worth.

But for now that's practically impossible, so we're pretty much stuck without a reasonable way to fairly rate comments, so I agree with KZ. (sucking up might have something to do with it too)
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

KZ

A far fetched possibility, namelesskitty, thus status quo seems to be, currently, the best soltuion (we don't fall for sucking up around here ;) ).
Welcome to the forums!

Bromtaghon

Of course we don't, most awesome moderator and mediator of the bestest forums ever to exist, we never fall for suck-ups.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Zhampir

Quote from: namelesskitty on June 25, 2010, 01:40:48 PM
Maybe if someone created an AI that could distinguish thought provoking comments from pointless dither...

Maybe then, it could tirelessly rate comments on their worth.

But for now that's practically impossible, so we're pretty much stuck without a reasonable way to fairly rate comments, so I agree with KZ. (sucking up might have something to do with it too)
Ah, but the person that wrote the program would be undoubtedly biased in formulating it, therefore the AI would be biased as well.
As for suck-ups... eh who needs them. Complements are nice every now and then though lol. And, KZ, you're looking rather spiffy today, wot!

Steelfist

I never knew you had so little integrity . . .