News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Favorite Classes

Started by SmartyPants, March 31, 2010, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite three classes?

Assassin
Bowman
Frost Spriggat
Psy Assassin
Psy Fighter
Psy Healer
Red Spriggat
Shadowling Guardian
Shadowling Healer
Spearman
Spirit
Swordsman

KZ

Psy Fighter is top: they have the greatest area attacks dealing maximum damage for the enemy.
Assassin: if trained up, great against potent enemies towards the end of the game, also very mobile, so can be used to mop up loose ends in battle.
Spearman: choosing between non-Psy units, he is the best to do the tank job, higher health, greater damage and has a semi-ranged attack to compliment the arsenal.

Shadow Guardian is neat, but comes late in the game, by which time I already have a full, well trained team, so he's releatively weak in comparison, plus the Psy Fighter will have the same attacks, and they're unlocked already.
The healers are useful, but they're support units, really, and their role is secondary in battle. Shadowlings, Spriggats, Spirits- all great flying units, and can do fair damage if need be, but they're mostly used, by me, for "massing" effects, tackling the enemy with numbers.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

SmartyPants

Until late in the game, I found the Psy Fighter as kinda useless without a Spirit Transfering PsP.  His attacks cost alot of PsP, so after a few attacks, he is stuck with only mind blast.

KZ

That's true, but then there is balance to be found- before he has enough PsP, one can use a Spririt to back a Psy Fighter up, plus allow the Psy Fighter to use Vengeance/Feedback combo instead, then start using elemental attacks when the fighter has enough PsP.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

cyso

I like assassins because they are highly mobile, so they can get a lot of extra backstab damage. On the downside, they can also be the most exposed units.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

torugo

i play by the way of the assasin because there fast and decently strong and they can play real smart
mock the pheonix you will burn

Frosty

Mine are Frost Spriggat (my name is enough), then Psy Healers (I like their solid state sheil and static sheild), then Shadowling Healers (if Craig remakes TRPG2, he should make Festus learn Shadowport like these healers).
Yeah, I'm a snowman. Got a problem with that?

Steel Ersatz Man

The first time I played TPA2 I used just a team of assasains and using 2 shadowlings in the battles where you need a non-physical attacker and it worked great.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

SmartyPants

Quote from: yogc on April 01, 2010, 08:24:31 PM
I like assassins because they are highly mobile, so they can get a lot of extra backstab damage. On the downside, they can also be the most exposed units.
Anything higher than a normal difficulty, I found the assassin almost impossible to use without him dieing.

When friendly fire was on, I found the non-healing psys as very difficult to use.  Psy Assassins, Shadow Guardians, and Spriggats all had large area attacks that would end up hurting my own teammates.

My three were the Spearman, Shadowling Healer, and Red Spriggat.
Spearman: The combantion between range and melee attacks made him a good combination with both swordsmen and bowmen.  With a swordsmen, the spearman can use Spear Throw to finish a unit off from behind a swordsmen.  With a bowmen, the spearman can take the enemy hit, while the bowman strikes.
Shadowling Healer: This moblie healer can easily move around the battlefield trying to heal wounded teammates.  With its mind blast, this Healer can also make a finishing blow when necessary.
Red Spriggat:  Fire Breath 2 was one of the most useful attacks in the game.

Ertxiem

My top 3 are the psy fighter, the frost spriggat and the psy healer.

I agree with KZ that the psy fighter is top.
I usually like to have a Spriggat: Fire/Frost Breath 2 is quite useful.
Having a healer surely makes things easier for us. A psy healer comes early in the game.

Other than this, I also use a spearman as a tank and the spirit as a support unit to the psy fighter (and the healer, if necessary). The assassin and the shadowling guardian are also useful.

I usually play with friendly fire on and I disagree that the non-healing psys are difficult to use. I usually have a psy fighter with light affinity that uses light bomb in the beginning of the fight (to soften the opposition) and then he uses either light blast or mind blast during the rest of the fight.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Bromtaghon

I've played many battles with a three-man team: myself, a Psy Fighter with the floating-orb (Azure, possibly?), a Shadowling Healer, and a Spirit.  All three were flying units with a good mobility.  The Psy Fighter and the Spirit did major damage, being ground into offensive powerhouses, with the Spirit occasionally transferring PsP, and the Healer healed and occasionally threw in a Mind Blast as well.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Duskling

I haven't played this game, but I like Spriggats and Shadowlings, especially the Guardians. I like Spiggats because they, if properly trained, could be superior in every way to Shadowlings, but since there is no Shadow Spriggat, they can't be trained to be superior in every way to Shadowlings. The Spriggats are the damage dealer unit variety, and the Shadowling Guardian is also a heavy damage dealer, plus I just prefer Spriggats and Shadowlings to humans. Sorry race, but humans are just overrated nowadays :D, I'd say that because we are allowed everything, shadow, ice, fire, light, and we are usually superior to the other races, we have higher mobility, more strength, what don't we have?

Bromtaghon

There are Dark Spriggats, Duskling.  And Humans don't always have higher mobility- to be fair, you'd have to compare human player characters vs. Shadowling/Spriggat player characters, in which all humans save TRPG2Main + Green Orb and Arman get pwned.  We have more strength because of the swordsman, bowmen, assassin- i.e. physical classes.  What don't we have? The ability to fly.

KZ

Duskling, kindly do elaborate on the statement that Spriggats are better than Shadowlings? What stats reflect this? For instance, speed is roughly the same, health is actually better for Shadowlings (both non-healing and healer versions), Shadow Guardian's attack has greater area damage and equivalent range to those of Spriggats with Elemenatl Breath 2. The only thing they don't really have is a Healer with a good offensive attack (Red Spriggat Healers deal 9 with Fire Breath, if memory serves me right, which is better than 6 for Shadowling Healer's Mind Blast) and the Dark Spriggat can slow the target down to 2 steps per turn.

Personally, I play with friendly fire off (though I do admit it is a tad unfair), mainly due to force of habit, than anything else.

From the voting it seems like the Bowman and a Swordsman are not really that popular. Does anyone use them extensively?  I prefer Spearmen to Swordsmen due to their initial high health and their ability to mix up melee with ranged/"area" attacks.
Welcome to the forums!

Bromtaghon

I use a swordsman as a tank, with the other units helping out, but I don't train him that much since I just use him to gain money for WHEEE! units- er, I mean flying units.  Once I get the Shadowling Healer, Spirit and Azure Orb, I pretty much don't use any other units, except maybe the Assassin, who makes up for non-flyingness in mobility.

Why does no one like the Spirit?