News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

The most crazy idea for Sinister Design yet (or even ever)

Started by Duskling, March 31, 2010, 10:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duskling

I feel bad even mentioning this, but this is a ridiculous, and ridiculously hard, idea for Sinister Design, are you ready? A Telepath RPG or Psy Arena MMO. I know this is an insane amount to ask for, especially with TSoG not even finished yet, but come on, in my vision it looks brilliant. I'm not expecting it, or even asking for this to be done, but that would sure be a massive change to Sinister Design. (However, if the Creator wanted to, he could use the leftover money from games like TPA2 to fund it, and perhaps players are willing to make donations?) Tell me what you think of this idea, my fellow community members!

Xemadus Echina

i remember this exact topic coming up on the old forums.  and no i don't remember specifics. but still im pretty sure a lot of people (myself included) would love to see a telepath based RPG. 
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

KZ

Well, as rainen rightly said, this idea has been toyed with a few times before: and it did have some following. But I think it's not yet a time to release MMO project yet- maybe better off finish TSoG, if that reaches a wide audience, then maybe go with MMO, after all- it will require some minimum number of players to start it off, and I don't think we have enough currently to really kick-start it yet.
Welcome to the forums!
Read the rules, use proper grammar and punctuation, play the games, share your ideas and enjoy your stay!

Xemadus Echina

Well assume that all the players that supported my testing crew idea will support the MMO. So that's 7 or 8 people we have as of now.  that would be enough people to act as moderators in game for the beginning.  Also you can post a demo for it on game sites like kongregate and addicting games to generate a larger player base.  A problem would be making the game and upkeep. That would require a staff, a staff requires money (unless you're really really lucky) and that brings up the main problem, money.
im writing a book!
You never know

Duskling

Quote from: rainen on April 01, 2010, 02:49:55 PM
the main problem, money.
Like I stated before, Sinister Design could use money that came from TPA2 and make a special edition for TSoG also, but it still might not be enough, and, like I said, some players might be willing to donate some $.

WeBing

Ahem.

There will be no special version of TSoG. TSoG will be the special version of TSoG.

You will have to pay to play it.

fractals mmmm

Ertxiem

It's not a bad idea. Sorry if it feels that I'm too negative with the questions below.

If the MMO would be inspired in TPA2, it would be similar to Tactics100 (chess like battles), that had is share of problems with cheaters and is a bit annoying to wait for the adversary to make his move or we have a timer that will not let us plan our move as we wanted to. The pay for play could give you access to higher leagues with new units to be bought.

If you're thinking in something like TSoG in MMO, that would really be hard work to put on and it's not clear to me how the battles would work...

Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Duskling

Zhampir

WeBing

Quote from: Ertxiem on April 07, 2010, 08:52:54 AM
It's not a bad idea. Sorry if it feels that I'm too negative with the questions below.

If the MMO would be inspired in TPA2, it would be similar to Tactics100 (chess like battles), that had is share of problems with cheaters and is a bit annoying to wait for the adversary to make his move or we have a timer that will not let us plan our move as we wanted to. The pay for play could give you access to higher leagues with new units to be bought.

If you're thinking in something like TSoG in MMO, that would really be hard work to put on and it's not clear to me how the battles would work...

Any multiplayer with the current battle system wouldn't work because eventually there would be certain easy-to-remember routines and stats for perfect play.

I'll give examples of multiplayer games with similar problems and how they were solved.

Pokemon--Thousands of different combinations, many viable options.
Chess--Again thousands of different combinations, and only one piece moves at a time.
Starcraft--2d RTS with lots of variables

And a failed multiplayer game:

Colony--battles took place on two one-dimensional lines, not enough units or buildings/building space, so a few strategies were eventually found to be the most efficient.

fractals mmmm

Xemadus Echina

I know how you could do battles. Make it so that everybody plays with just their own unit but what happens is instead of full team turn based you have an agility stat which determines your steps as well as the order that you move in.  The move order idea came from the Monster Den games.  You could implement a free market system and have a basic item set(or advanced if your feeling adventurous) that improves stats, elemental strengths(resistance and attack damage) and/or give you special attacks/abilities.
im writing a book!
You never know

WeBing

And how would that change anything?

With an extremely limited number of NPC's available, along with an extremely limited number of combinations for moves, TPA/TRPG styled games aren't going multiplayer anytime soon.

fractals mmmm

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: WeBing on April 10, 2010, 09:44:16 PM
And how would that change anything?

With an extremely limited number of NPC's available, along with an extremely limited number of combinations for moves, TPA/TRPG styled games aren't going multiplayer anytime soon.

Telepath is perfect for multiplayer! But it can´t be online, that simply whouldn´t work. I think that the dual mode in chapter 2 was just rough, that it could become better with more (and more different) characters, better maps and more attacks. This whould be much better than a level editor which is still too limited to make something really cool.

WeBing

::)

Firstly, there is no difference between online and local.

Secondly, there isn't much point of having multiplayer if you don't have it online, because there is a very limited playerbase.

fractals mmmm

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: WeBing on April 11, 2010, 12:44:59 AM
::)

Firstly, there is no difference between online and local.

Secondly, there isn't much point of having multiplayer if you don't have it online, because there is a very limited playerbase.

I have many friends who love it, and we all have very fun at the unofficial tournaments in my TV room.