News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Shadowling Colors

Started by SmartyPants, April 03, 2010, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What new color shadowlings should there be?

Orange
4 (19%)
Yellow
2 (9.5%)
Orange & Yellow
9 (42.9%)
There shouldn't be new colors
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

bugfartboy

He's got a point. But how do shadowlings glow in a dark dark room?

ArtDrake

They do?

And to im2smart4u, I admit that the diet thing was a bit less thought out than I would have liked. Still, I think pigmentation would be at least somewhat linked to diet, just like eating right keeps you healthy longer and looking younger into old age, and eating too much carrotene makes one's face somewhat discolored. Maybe some kinds of negative emotions are healthier than others... I don't think we'll never know. Unless we ask Craig and he's willing to answer.

And I'm also saying KZ's logic about the yellow shadowlings was flawed if he follows the wavelength theory, in that he says "Why would a dying shadowling be stronger than a young red shadowling?", but the same applies to a green shadowling.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Fyer on January 09, 2011, 05:58:37 PMHe's got a point. But how do shadowlings glow in a dark dark room?
When has a shadowling glowed in a dark room?

Quote from: Duckling on January 09, 2011, 09:07:49 PMAnd to im2smart4u, I admit that the diet thing was a bit less thought out than I would have liked. Still, I think pigmentation would be at least somewhat linked to diet, just like eating right keeps you healthy longer and looking younger into old age, and eating too much carrotene makes one's face somewhat discolored. Maybe some kinds of negative emotions are healthier than others... I don't think we'll never know. Unless we ask Craig and he's willing to answer.
Diet has very little effect on skin color.  Eating massive amounts of carrots may turn you yellow (that happened to me as a baby) and eating massive amounts of tomatoes will turn you red, but those instances are extremely rare.  In most cares, you skin color is determinted by sun exposure and the pigment that your DNA tells your body to make.  Shadowlings probably produce different pigments as the shadowling bodies age.

ArtDrake

Well it probably isn't sunlight that changes it...

But then again, there's still the eyes. Most humans' eyes don't change color, and the hands... they not even exactly attached. Maybe we're overthinking this.

bugfartboy

Or maybe we're underthinking this. Do shadowlings need humans specifically o feed? Or will any mammal do?

ArtDrake

Seeing as they constantly refer to humans as fleshlings in TRPG2, I thing any animal would do, and I'm sure a Shadowling wouldn't object to feeding off a Spriggat.

bugfartboy

Animals have emotions. Sorta. They feel happy and sad. Just look at my dog as I left the house this morning for school. So you may not be wrong about the diet theory. Maybe the shadowlings that don't feed off of humans feed off of animals and still get their color.

ArtDrake

Thank you. And my cat looks at me with what looks like a feeling of betrayal when I splash water on him (disciplinary uses, not cruelty).

SmartyPants

I was saying that shadowling eat things other then emotions.  Niven eats pickles and many shadowlings comsume beer.

bugfartboy

Quote from: im2smart4u on January 10, 2011, 09:25:17 PM
I was saying that shadowling eat things other then emotions.  Niven eats pickles and many shadowlings comsume beer.
Ah. Okay. Maybe they just eat those for pleasure rather than need. And a question. How does the shadowling digestive system work?

ArtDrake

Well, the food goes in the mouth, and stays on the interior of the shadowling until the shadowsymes are done with it, at which point the consumed food becomes part of the plume. This process can be stinky, and the less refined shadowlings call it "spilling in your plume".

SmartyPants

Lets get back on topic:  Is there a reason that two new people don't want too see newly colored shadowlings?

ArtDrake

Oh, one was me, I think. How new?

bugfartboy

Yeah. One was me too. I really don't think that a new color is needed.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Fyer on January 10, 2011, 10:18:30 PMYeah. One was me too. I really don't think that a new color is needed.
Did you not find talking to the green Lala interesting?  I found that the green shadowling peaked my interest, because she was so much different from the all of the other shadowlings, yet she explains how her color is not that unusual.  Wouldn't you want the same experience with an orange shaodwling in TSoG?