News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Shadowling Colors

Started by SmartyPants, April 03, 2010, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What new color shadowlings should there be?

Orange
4 (19%)
Yellow
2 (9.5%)
Orange & Yellow
9 (42.9%)
There shouldn't be new colors
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

SmartyPants

The current colors are red, purple, blue, and green. Young Shadowlings are RED; then when they become middle age they turn  PURPLE; after passing the "midlife crisis" period, they turn BLUE; when Shadowlings become very old they turn GREEN.  When the Shadowlings become very power they glow WHITE.

If the color wheel shows age, then I have two suggestions for yellow and orange.  When Shadowlings are newborns they are an ORANGE color and they turn red during puberty.  When green Shadowlings are dying of old age, they turn YELLOW.

=> => =>

=> =>

Xemadus Echina

The only reason you should have yellow is if the shadowling really is dead.  Otherwise it could get confused with orange.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

SmartyPants

To complete the color wheel of shadowling aging, I came up with two ideas:
*An orange shadowling complains that all his friends have turned red and he hasn't.  The Hero then can give him advice on puberty or chose to make fun of him.
*On her death bed, a yellow Lala asks for the Hero to perform a last request(side quest) before she dies.

Zhampir

I'd rather yellow be new-born to child, and orange be "teenage", dead would be nothing, so a "dying" one should be fading, that's of course assuming that shadowlings can die of old age.

SmartyPants

If shadowling coundn't die of old age then there would be numerous green shadowlings and few red.  When old age kills, a new generation of old people replace the last, but when old age doesn't kill, then the old generation is joined by the new generation to create a massive number of old people.  Since the TRPG2 Hero has witnessed few green shadowlings, it can easily be concluded that shadowlings die of old age.

Zhampir

It can? Shadowlings live for a very long time, perhaps indefinitely, perhaps "glowing" more over time until they have an all white glow and their age can no-longer be determined. Besides that, look at the elderly in our world. Specifically America. I see them every where. You're logic of not seeing them doesn't make much sense to me.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on April 07, 2010, 06:28:44 PM
It can? Shadowlings live for a very long time, perhaps indefinitely, perhaps "glowing" more over time until they have an all white glow and their age can no-longer be determined. Besides that, look at the elderly in our world. Specifically America. I see them every where. You're logic of not seeing them doesn't make much sense to me.
So image that humans are immortal.  Grandparents don't die, yet you parents continue to become older.  Now there are two generations of old people.  Those two generations of old people don't die, yet you and me become old.  Now there are three generations of old people who outnumber our kid's generation three to one. The generation after our kids will be outnumbered 4 to 1.  And the generation after that will be outnumber 5 to 1. And the generation after that will be outnumber 6 to 1....est.

If Shadowlings are immortal, then in a hundred generations, green shadowlings will outnumber red shadowlings 100 to 1.  Since Lala is the only green shadowling seen by the Hero, it is not possible for shadowlings to be immortal.

Ertxiem

I agree that shadowlings don't seem to be immortal, although I believe that it was discussed in the old forums that their life span is larger than the life span of humans.

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 07, 2010, 06:53:20 PM
[...]
Since Lala is the only green shadowling, it is not possible for shadowlings to be immortal.
However, the above argument has some flaws:
- We only saw Lala, but there could be more green shadowlings occupying relevant positions in the shadowling empire in places that wouldn't be accessible to slaves or;
- Most green shadowlings died in the shadow wars (for example, in regular combat or in a despicable action by the enemies of the shadowlings) - it might even happen that the death of the older shadowlings in combat brought the necessity of using slaves in battle.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

Xemadus Echina

warning, may contain sarcasm
[spoiler]heres a little dose of realism:  The reason why there were no more green shadowlings in TRPG2 is because Craig had no use for putting any more in.  Voila problem solved ;)[/spoiler]
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Zhampir

If you apply that logic "because the creator said so" to every thing, then what's the point of asking? God will provide all? Such an idea is rather unimaginative. Perhaps all the "seniors" live in senior homes?

Dorgon 5000

Quote from: Zhampir on April 07, 2010, 09:37:48 PM
If you apply that logic "because the creator said so" to every thing, then what's the point of asking? God will provide all? Such an idea is rather unimaginative. Perhaps all the "seniors" live in senior homes?

It canĀ“t be so that they put them in senior homes. They say that aging is much more pleasant for shadowling than for humans.

Zhampir

So it's not possible that the older shadowlings tend to stick with their generation somewhere? We seem to have a very small window into Cera Bella, judging by the proportions of lake alto, your  boat, the academy, and other things in correlation with the main map. There's still a whole world out there to explore.

Duskling

I will have to say that, if yellow means that the Shadowling is dying of old age, what point will there be to that Shadowling? I suppose you could do something of a "Final Request" side quest, but you can't face it in battle since it is too old, and, other than the side quest idea, there is nothing to talk about if you find it on the street of Somnus and whatnot. However, there may be numerous side quests to these Shadowlings, since they may have sent a loved one someplace and not heard from him/her since, or an old enemy they want exterminated before they die. As we can see there are plenty of things to do with these Shadowlings if the Creator decides to place them ingame, that is only an if, mind you.

Now we come to the orange Shadowlings, personally, I would love to see more of the arrogant Darkling types, only younger and even more arrogant. But, what function will they have ingame? They can't all be side quest givers, perhaps a teammate, but overall not the best choice to put in the game.

My synopsis is that the choice of Shadowlings that the Creator has already created should stay the same, seeing how these Shadowlings might be neither useful nor, to some players, even intresting.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duskling on April 24, 2010, 12:28:40 PM
I will have to say that, if yellow means that the Shadowling is dying of old age, what point will there be to that Shadowling? I suppose you could do something of a "Final Request" side quest, but you can't face it in battle since it is too old, and, other than the side quest idea, there is nothing to talk about if you find it on the street of Somnus and whatnot.
Couldn't you say the same thing about TRPG2's green shadowling, Lala?

Now we come to the orange Shadowlings, personally, I would love to see more of the arrogant Darkling types, only younger and even more arrogant. But, what function will they have ingame? They can't all be side quest givers, perhaps a teammate, but overall not the best choice to put in the game.
Does he have to be any different than Snarl or Nightling?  He would give the character some perseptive on shadowling life or provide a laugh.  Not everything is a big grand quest.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 24, 2010, 04:09:31 PM
I will have to say that, if yellow means that the Shadowling is dying of old age, what point will there be to that Shadowling? I suppose you could do something of a "Final Request" side quest, but you can't face it in battle since it is too old, and, other than the side quest idea, there is nothing to talk about if you find it on the street of Somnus and whatnot.
Couldn't you say the same thing about TRPG2's green shadowling, Lala?
Well, she wasn't exactly dying of old age, now was she?