News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

New Shadowling Colors

Started by SmartyPants, April 03, 2010, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What new color shadowlings should there be?

Orange
4 (19%)
Yellow
2 (9.5%)
Orange & Yellow
9 (42.9%)
There shouldn't be new colors
6 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duskling on April 24, 2010, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on April 24, 2010, 04:09:31 PM
Quote from: Duskling on April 24, 2010, 12:28:40 PM
I will have to say that, if yellow means that the Shadowling is dying of old age, what point will there be to that Shadowling? I suppose you could do something of a "Final Request" side quest, but you can't face it in battle since it is too old, and, other than the side quest idea, there is nothing to talk about if you find it on the street of Somnus and whatnot.
Couldn't you say the same thing about TRPG2's green shadowling, Lala?
Well, she wasn't exactly dying of old age, now was she?
I don't understand what point you are trying to make?  Do you think people are worthless, when they become old, so they aren't worth talking to?

Xemadus Echina

I have an idea.  What happens is when shadowlings get older their psy capabilities exceed their bodies capacity.  This causes them to start emitting a longer wavelength of light.

Here's another idea as well.  The longer the wavelength a shadowling has for it's coloring, the less control it has over the full extents of it's power.  This is why shadowlings go from red (longer wavelength) to purple(shorter wavelength) when they hit middle age since it's like how human brains become fully developed in our 20's.  This also explains why shadowlings become green later in life since green is a longer wavelength then purple.
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

SmartyPants

Quote from: rainen on April 25, 2010, 12:56:22 PMwhen they hit middle age since it's like how human brains become fully developed in our 20's.
What third world country are you from where 20s is middle age?

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 24, 2010, 09:38:25 PM
I will have to say that, if yellow means that the Shadowling is dying of old age, what point will there be to that Shadowling? I suppose you could do something of a "Final Request" side quest, but you can't face it in battle since it is too old, and, other than the side quest idea, there is nothing to talk about if you find it on the street of Somnus and whatnot.
I don't understand what point you are trying to make?  Do you think people are worthless, when they become old, so they aren't worth talking to?
Ummm, you said they are dying of old age when they are yellow, not just old, but dying of old age. If they are dying of old age, then maybe, as I said, they may have some final requests, words of wisdom, or a clue, but, other than that, it just doesn't fit in.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duskling on April 25, 2010, 07:36:31 PM
Quote from: im2smart4u on April 24, 2010, 09:38:25 PM
I don't understand what point you are trying to make?  Do you think people are worthless, when they become old, so they aren't worth talking to?
Ummm, you said they are dying of old age when they are yellow, not just old, but dying of old age. If they are dying of old age, then maybe, as I said, they may have some final requests, words of wisdom, or a clue, but, other than that, it just doesn't fit in.
I am glad you are not might grand kid.  I wouldn't want someone not talking to me just because my time left on earth is short.

Duskling

Quote from: im2smart4u on May 02, 2010, 10:18:15 AM
I am glad you are not might grand kid.  I wouldn't want someone not talking to me just because my time left on earth is short.
Alright, I give up, you win, but I still think that a Shadowling dying of old age may be a bit out of place in the TRPG universe, not sure why, though.

Zhampir

I agree with Duskling, what could possibly kill a shadow? They are shadowlings, born from the darkness, weak to the light. I think shadowlings either transcend, simply go to a "retirement home", or must be subjected to a violent death. I don't really see shadows dieing of old age. They seem more like ghosts than mortals anyways.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Zhampir on May 12, 2010, 08:51:34 PM
I agree with Duskling, what could possibly kill a shadow? They are shadowlings, born from the darkness, weak to the light. I think shadowlings either transcend, simply go to a "retirement home", or must be subjected to a violent death. I don't really see shadows dieing of old age. They seem more like ghosts than mortals anyways.
But they are mortal, since shadowlings die when they are defeated, while spirits disipate temporarily when defeated.  Like all mortals, shadowlngs will die of old age.

FlyingFinn

QuoteBut they are mortal, since shadowlings die when they are defeated, while spirits disipate temporarily when defeated.  Like all mortals, shadowlngs will die of old age
True, but we don´t know enough about biology of shadowlings to say that (DO they have biology? They call humans fleshlings, which gives image that they aren´t flesh creatures. On the other hand, they "don´t sprout from magic beans", they have families.). But I think that they live longer than humans, anyway.
Grammar! >_<

SmartyPants

Quote from: FlyingFinn on May 27, 2010, 09:10:02 AM
QuoteBut they are mortal, since shadowlings die when they are defeated, while spirits disipate temporarily when defeated.  Like all mortals, shadowlngs will die of old age
True, but we don´t know enough about biology of shadowlings to say that (DO they have biology? They call humans fleshlings, which gives image that they aren´t flesh creatures. On the other hand, they "don´t sprout from magic beans", they have families.). But I think that they live longer than humans, anyway.
I agree that they live longer, but I don't think shadowlings live forever.

cyso

Lala mentioned that shadowlings age. This seems to infer that they eventually, like any other creature, grow old and weak, and eventually die. I do think that they live a really long time and grow old at different rates. If the queen was referred to as a deity, then I doubt anyone remembers when she was born, even Lala. However, the queen isn't even green yet.
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Duskling

I'm back, and with an arguement! Lala said that Shadowlings "green" as they age, if this is true, then if they are dying of old age they must be a swamp-colored color, and when they die, they're either yellow, like a totally different color than when they started, or black, the color of death.

cyso

If you look at the color wheel on the wiki, you will notice that from red, turns purple, then blue, then green, then yellow. If shadowlings are old, but not dying, at the color of green, then the next color ought to be yellow according to the color wheel. However, I do think that when a shadowling dies, their glow fades, and they may appear dark or even black.

Duskling

That is what I think, but it looks like, on the color wheel, that they are either yellow when they are dying of old age, as I said, I don't see that fitting in with TRPG, or when they are infants, what with it being at the top of the wheel, also being the shortest age period. Also, it says that they "start out red" and they "finally turn green," which implies that orange and yellow were most likely just ignored, or didn't seem likely in the TRPG universe.

cyso

Keep in mind, green is old but not dying. The next color is yellow. It makes sense if that is dying. As for yellow being at the top of the wheel, keep in mind that the only rules we have about where to start on the wheel is that red is before purple, purple is before blue, blue is before green, and green is near the end. The order of orange and yellow is a little hard to determine. I would like to think that shadowlings start orange and end yellow since that goes with the "rules" stated above.