News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Quote from: Bromtaghon on June 13, 2010, 10:38:47 AM
What does the Nameless One do with all the money?

That's really the Nameless One's business, don't you think? ;)

MikeW781

Quote from: CraigStern on June 13, 2010, 11:53:51 AM
Quote from: Bromtaghon on June 13, 2010, 10:38:47 AM
What does the Nameless One do with all the money?

That's really the Nameless One's business, don't you think? ;)
I think it depends-if it involves Rahel, its very much our buisness, isn't it?  ;)
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

algebra15

How does one refer to a movieclip that is... a cousin?

(The grandchild of a grandparent movieclip)

I want to put, in a class definition, a checking hitTest statement for wave boxes. (In a defense game, waves come, right? So since there are boxes overhead that show wave progress, I needed to set up the game so as the wave box hit the present (like past, future and __), it would start up a wave of enemies. Since I'm no longer in AS2, I can't just use the _level0 that worked for me before)

So can one refer to a cousin, or do you have to have a complex workaround with events and such?
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

CraigStern

I'm not sure why'd you'd need to hitTest for that. By "box," you are referring to a progress bar, right? Why not just use a setInterval to time the release of each wave, and scale the bar's x proportionately to time passed during a wave?

algebra15

Right... thanks a lot :). I swear there was no sarcasm in that sentence.

But unfortunately, I don't know how to do a setInterval, and since I'm lazy, I'd like to use code I already know. Do you think a Timer class instance would work in it's place?

CraigStern

Actually, what might work better (since setInterval is independent of framerate, and might be unfair to people with slower machines), is to have a simple counter function that runs onEnterFrame. Something like this:

var waveCounter:Number = 0;
var timesUp:Number = 5000;

function increaseCounter () {
     waveCounter++;
     if (waveCounter>= timesUp) {
          launchNewWave();
          waveCounter = 0;
     }
}

algebra15

I see.... sounds great!

Thanks a lot. :)

But one more thing... (although I'm sure I'm going to be back with more questions sooner or later; such is the nature of learning anything)

I read on a blog about the this.parent property of a MovieClip.

I tried to access this in the class definition, and it said that I was trying to access the parent property of a class, which doesn't exist. (I'm turning this into English, of course; error messages are bothersome) Is there a way one can access the parent of a movieclip though a class script? Don't worry, I'm taking your advice. It would  still just be useful.

CraigStern

Honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the scope shifts in AS3 myself--I'm probably not the best person to ask. :)

algebra15

Well, okay. Thanks again for what you've helped  me with so far; it let me get about 400% farther than I would have without.

:) :D ;D 8)  :-\

Bromtaghon

Is it possible to code in a multi-tile enemy that can be attacked on more than one tile?
Is it possible to code in an enemy with more than one resistance?
Will there ever be a Mental-Resistance orb for TSoG? (Seeing as very few enemies attack with Mind Blast, maybe not.)
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

CraigStern

Quote from: Bromtaghon on June 17, 2010, 11:57:20 AM
Is it possible to code in a multi-tile enemy that can be attacked on more than one tile?
Is it possible to code in an enemy with more than one resistance?

It's always possible to code anything, but TSoG's engine isn't designed to handle those things. It would require a major rewrite to add support for them.

As for the orb: probably not.

Xemadus Echina

can you make an easter egg in the game where you can rename your character (or give it a nickname)?
and will you ever take the names of the regulars and put us into your games as characters?
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

CraigStern

Bromtaghon

What about an easter-egg boss battle with KZ ('999' HP, all area attacks) that unlocks a new orb? Okay, maybe this should go in the thread about orbs...
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

MikeW781

What is the name of the native religon of Ravinale?
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!