News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

algebra15

When you get rid of enemies with code, especially like bandits in battles with reinforcements, what method do you use? the .removeMovieClip method? And kind of an add-on question. In battles, are the enemies dynamically generated? I figure they have to be, in battles with reinforcements, but I heard on some Actionscript-related forums that just using the .removeMovieClip leaves a "shell," whatever that is.
This is Gambit. The cards are about to explode. Goodbye!

CraigStern

I do indeed use removeMovieClip(). So far as I know, that's the most efficient way to get rid of a movieclip. (I haven't heard anything about this leaving a shell behind, personally, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.)

Zackirus

Heres My Question, what sort of ideas are you thinking of doing for the next Telepath RPG
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

So far, I haven't put much thought into it. All of my energy right now is going into making TSoG the best game it can possibly be. Once I'm done with that, I'll start thinking about what comes next. :)

Zackirus

I wa checking the Telepath wiki and it says something about a character named Rajav, when you try to put the name in (as your name) then next button dissapers, the same when you put Set, Griffin, Rahel. Will this character join your team or is that just a glitch
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

Ertxiem

I guess that Craig will say that you have to wait to see... By the way, to complement the above post, I have noticed that we are allowed to use the names of our future enemies, so I'm assuming that Rajav is reserved for some team mate.
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

cyso

Will Telepath Adventure: Shadowling Assassin be a premium game or a free game?
...For I am his, and he is mine, bought by the precious blood of Christ.

Anyone want to find the rest of the words?

Zhampir

The reason you can't use a teammates name for you own is that their is an odd glitch. Say you name yourself Griffin, as long as one of the Griffins are alive you can win the battle. In other words, as long as the original Griffin is alive and your hero dies, the battle can still be won. I haven't felt the need to report this as it seems that Craig all ready knows and has attempted to eliminate this bug.

Presentiment

You turn into Griffin. I don't know how the stats are contrived; when I called myself Arman I did far more damage than the actual Arman.

Zackirus

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

Steel Ersatz Man

Why do you have to restrict us non-paying gamers from Telepath psy arena 2. I REALLY wanna play it but there's nowhere you can play it for free.
We are the steel alliance. None shall take our hill!

CraigStern

From the explanation I gave on the old forums:

QuoteI'm changing my strategy. As most of you have no doubt figured out by now, I'm just one guy working on games in his free time. I'd love to one day make this a real career: making these games combines so many of my loves, it's as close to my ideal job as I can imagine anything being.

In order to enable me to do this full-time, however, I've got to find a way to make a living off of game design. For a long time, I thought I might be able to do it by making free games and living off of sponsorship money and ad revenue. After several years of experimentation on my part, I've determined that this just isn't going to work. Complicated role-playing games take a very long time to make, and neither advertising revenue nor sponsorship money is great enough to cover the costs of rent and food during those long periods of development.

Elaborating on that explanation here on these forums:

QuoteAds in Flash games really weren't all that lucrative back before the recession hit, and they're certainly no better now.

I do know of a small handful of Flash game developers who are able to make a living releasing free games (Pixel Jam being a prominent example), but most free Flash developers are either in high school or college, and don't have to worry about paying rent, paying back school loans, buying food, paying for doctor's bills, and so on and so on. With Pixel Jam, the kind of games they make--short, addictive action games--are much quicker to put together and release than the kind of games I make, and they appeal to a much larger audience. In short, they're a good fit for the free Flash model. Sad to say, mine really aren't.

So, there you have it: that's why it isn't available for free. If you really want to play TPA2 that badly, you should buy it! (And if you're young and don't have a credit card, just ask your parents to buy it for you. It works for kids all over the world. ;) )

Zackirus

What's Rahel new attack: True Shaft Supposed to do?

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

It's a sniping attack: it hits 3 spaces away, like Bow 2, but it deals a large amount of extra damage. It costs 10 PsP.