News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWanderingShadow

So are the spriggats' attacks actually their breath, or do they come out of their hands?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

CraigStern

Breath. I didn't mix up their terminology that badly. ;)

ArtDrake

After a brief respite, I have more questions.

It could just be bad coding on my part, but do you know of any scenarios where Flash would register a MouseOut event while the mouse is still on the DisplayObject listened to?

That's what's happened, with code saying:

this.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, onOn);
this.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT, onOff);

and then

public function onOn (m:MouseEvent):void {
trace("baseon");
}

public function onOff (m:MouseEvent):void {
trace("baseoff");
}

In the output box, it was flickering from on to off, and would switch from on to off after two clicks on the spot. The MouseDown event, when I tried it, was inconsistent at best, as was Click.

I did a trace of where Flash was registering the MouseOvers, but they were anywhere the DisplayObject was, so something's wrong, and it's not the MovieClip itself...

Basically, I don't know what could possibly be causing the error, and do you?

TheWanderingShadow

QuoteBreath. I didn't mix up their terminology that badly. Wink

Sorry, it's just that it looks like it comes out of their hands when you use the attack in the game.
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

CraigStern

Quote from: Duckling on January 07, 2011, 09:15:24 PMIt could just be bad coding on my part, but do you know of any scenarios where Flash would register a MouseOut event while the mouse is still on the DisplayObject listened to?

I don't believe I've ever used that particular combination of listeners. I generally use MOUSE_OVER and ROLL_OUT. Maybe that will help?

Idozen Cair

Quote from: CraigStern on January 07, 2011, 03:05:59 PM
Ah--mixed terminology. The thing is, I created the spriggats many years ago, long before I created TRPG. All spriggats simply went by color names back then; I sometimes forget that I decided to call the frost-breathing spriggats frost spriggats in TRPG. :) I'll fix that.
I don't quite understand your logic, Craig. You have Frost Spriggats that have an affinity with cold, and that are white. And yet you name a spriggat that has an affinity with fire 'Red Spriggat', that are the colour red(same for Dark Spriggats). Please explain.
Oh yes, I forgot. I suggest a 'member of the month/week' poll in General Discussion. I wonder if you agree?
I doesn't care, do I?

CraigStern

It's not about logic--these are simply the names that these particular types of spriggat have acquired in Cera Bella. You might as well ask why we call some ants black ants and other ants fire ants. Colloquial species names aren't necessarily consistent.

ArtDrake

I do hope I don't meet any Frost Ants in a dark alley!  ;)

Oh, and I got rid of the bug I mentioned before. I turns out that since I was using a MovieClip to replace my cursor, the MovieClip kept moving itself under my pointer, and "blocking" the mouse from being on the item I wanted to Roll Over.

Zackirus

With Your Twitter Post that says: A Minor Choice You Make At The Beginning of TSoG will Affect the Armory Raid Dialogue? What a choice are you referring to?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

I'll leave that for you guys to discover. :)

ArtDrake

Do you know of a way to tell Flash to ignore one Display object's mouseEvents and take those of the next MovieClip down? Or how to detect MouseEvents through a MovieClip? Right now, I have a workaround to my problem, but it takes the BoundingBox, so it's quite sloppy.

CraigStern

Quote from: Duckling on January 09, 2011, 09:43:13 AM
Do you know of a way to tell Flash to ignore one Display object's mouseEvents and take those of the next MovieClip down?

You mean, if there are overlapping movieclips, to ignore the mouseEvents for the movieClip with the higher index value? I bet you could find a way to code that in the handlers.

Zackirus

How many missions are you planning to have in TSoG?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

CraigStern

Only about 6-7 linear missions, then making the remainder of the game non-linear: namely, scouring the rest of the continent for support in order to launch a full-scale invasion of Ravinale, and performing quests in order to gain the favor of various factions. How many soldiers you get will determine the success of your final assault on the city.

Zackirus

Naj says that Spriggats still live in the Deeper Downs region. Will we ever get to meet any of these Spriggats by going to the Deeper Downs?

- Lord Canada