News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Duskling

All cloning, but please specify which ones you mean when you give your opinion.

CraigStern

I think cloning as a widespread practice is a bad idea in general, regardless of species, simply because lack of genetic diversity weakens species.

That said, I think people are overly afraid of human cloning because of unrealistic expectations about what that means. People hear cloning and think "exact copies," failing to account for the differences between people that arise not just out of DNA, but also development and environmental factors. We already know that human clones wouldn't turn out exactly alike because of identical twins. Identical twins are effectively clones of each other: they come from the exact same egg/sperm combination. And yet, identical twins tend to turn out differently.

So, in short: cloning is bad, but only because it raises species-wide susceptibility to diseases and genetic disorders, not because it will make everyone identical.

Zackirus

Will the Folk-of-the-Woods appear in TSoG? If So, Will Gelf make an appearance?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

Can I refer to the Folk-of-the-Woods as "Gelflets"?

ArtDrake

You can refer to them however you choose, if it's not offensive. However, whether you will be understood is a different matter, Buggy.

Xemadus Echina

i always thought they were just referred to as gelfs? gelf = greedy elf? (and through centuries of swindling, their elfish personality, mannerisms and intelligence has all but dissapeared)

onto my string of comments ending in a question, (and i'll note now that i can't post a link since i'm in school.) there's this game on kongregate called (correct me if i'm wrong) endless tower RPG which the creator has, of course, labeled an RPG.  the catch? if anything, it is more of an idle/RTD game.  there is no story, you're just in an endless tower fighting monsters.  Now then, the other half of my argument isn't really bashing the fact that it's not an RPG, because the following CAN in fact be in an underdeveloped RPG.  The following is just bashing the simplicity of the game and lack of thought put into it.
-the developer, at one point in time, promised to expand the game pending a high rating
-there are (4?) monsters you can fight (thought they each have a defined role at least)
-there are 4(originally 3 but he had a high enough rating to add a forth apparently) characters each with "defined" roles but the original 3 are totally shrouded by the 4th who is, in layman terms, OP.
-death is a necessity to continue on to higher levels due to the difficulty curve.  When you die you get an extra 12 stat points (but the catch is, you can only die twice)
-there IS in fact a shop but you can only buy 3 types of items (all unnamed) that just add to stat modifiers.

Now then, I ask you: as a maker of high quality RPGs, does the existence of this game(labeled and RPG) make you cringe?
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

Ertxiem

I think it's more gelf = green elf, although greedy is not that bad if you consider the amount of gold he asks for his stuff!
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.

CraigStern

Quote from: rainen on March 28, 2011, 07:29:39 AMNow then, I ask you: as a maker of high quality RPGs, does the existence of this game(labeled and RPG) make you cringe?

There are a lot of lazy "RPGs" on the Flash portals these days. I haven't played the one you mention, but I can name a few (like Epic Battle Fantasy 3) that definitely do make me cringe.

Zackirus

Quote from: CraigStern on March 28, 2011, 06:43:30 PM
There are a lot of lazy "RPGs" on the Flash portals these days. I haven't played the one you mention, but I can name a few (like Epic Battle Fantasy 3) that definitely do make me cringe.

Why does EBF3 make you cringe, it is certainly better than 95% of the flash games on the internet.

Also, can we hear that new music track you just created (When talking to Criminals/Shady Characters)?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

Wanna lend me 50 bucks, Craig?

Serious Question:
In a couple years, after Sinister Design has grown some more, what do you think you would think of working with a few people to just overall help out a bit?

CraigStern

I'll be using the new music in various missions, so you'll get to hear it pretty soon.

Quote from: Bugfartboy on March 28, 2011, 09:34:17 PMIn a couple years, after Sinister Design has grown some more, what do you think you would think of working with a few people to just overall help out a bit?

A couple of years? More like "as soon as TSoG is done." :)

bugfartboy

You're really expecting to grow that much off of TSoG? Wow. So how goes it? How many bugs do ya have to

Squash? :-[
(Sorry bout my bad art. If you can't tell, which is likely, it's a screenshot of a giant bug in TRPG2 that I painted a fly swatter over.)

And on a side note, I spread the word about Sinister Design around some of my online gamer friends at school a bit. How many brownie points is that worth? :-[ :)

-Edit
Major spelling fix. Sorry! :)

CraigStern

Hm? Is there something in the game that suggests that?