News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

The most efficient way to keep track of structures in a 2D space, IMO, is probably to use a Vector, preferably one using a memory-light data type (i.e. not Strings). Assuming there is no need to keep track of decimals or negative values, Vector<uint> is probably your best bet for that. Alternatively, if you take Ert's suggestion and you only need to know whether a building has been destroyed or not, you could go with the even-more-efficient Vector<Boolean>.

I'd avoid relying too heavily on .sols for data storage at runtime, given that Flash defaults to an arbitrary low limit on how much .sol data it stores on a user's computer without them manually changing it.

ArtDrake

Do shadowlings' eyes actually glow slightly, or are they just bright colours?

CraigStern

Depends on whether they are Tastidian or not. ;)

ArtDrake

This isn't a question, but all the recent stuff you've added that you mentioned in the Developer's Log looks amazing.  :3

CraigStern

Sythion

Do you plan on making another "Let's play"?
Hunger is the best spice.

CraigStern

Right now I'm working full-time, developing a game, running IndieRPGs.com, preparing for PAX East, preparing to launch a Kickstarter, and doing my best to spend enough time with my girlfriend that she doesn't dump me. ;)

So yes, I do definitely want to get back to those, but that will have to wait until I'm under less severe time constraints!

Sythion

I don't remember if this was asked before. But will there be voice acting in Telepath Tactics?
Hunger is the best spice.

CraigStern

It is supported by the engine, but based on the lack of enthusiasm for it in the Kickstarter stretch goal poll, I doubt that it would be worth the considerable effort of recording voice-overs and adding them into the game.

bugfartboy

Is it possible for one item in TT to grant multiple attacks? Or just one?

CraigStern

In the build you have? No. In the updated build? Yes--you'll just stick a forward slash between each attack.

bugfartboy

Okay. I tried that with attacks, because I saw it worked with the status effects on shadow attacks, and it didn't like it. It gave me a blank attack with no details or use.

A suggestion, just in case you haven't thought of it: When an item restores both restores PsP and boosts max PsP, it will restore the PsP to the current max first, then boost the max. The logic there seems a little off, in my honest opinion.

[spoiler]
And by the way, congrats Craig. You and your Alpha Demo were both addictive and distracting to me tonight. I like how easy the Attacks, Objects, and ItemClass files are to read, comprehend, and edit. :D
[/spoiler]

The enemy AI seems to have gotten smarter and more devious since I last updated (Not the latest version. That you say you've put up. The one before that.) It's beating me in just a few turns now, when before I could usually win, albeit at a large cost.

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on March 14, 2013, 11:49:44 PM
Okay. I tried that with attacks, because I saw it worked with the status effects on shadow attacks, and it didn't like it. It gave me a blank attack with no details or use.

Can you tell me what you typed? I tested it with a few different attacks before releasing the latest alpha demo yesterday; it should work.

A suggestion, just in case you haven't thought of it: When an item restores both restores PsP and boosts max PsP, it will restore the PsP to the current max first, then boost the max. The logic there seems a little off, in my honest opinion.

What about the behavior seems off to you?

[spoiler]
And by the way, congrats Craig. You and your Alpha Demo were both addictive and distracting to me tonight. I like how easy the Attacks, Objects, and ItemClass files are to read, comprehend, and edit. :D
[/spoiler]

The enemy AI seems to have gotten smarter and more devious since I last updated (Not the latest version. That you say you've put up. The one before that.) It's beating me in just a few turns now, when before I could usually win, albeit at a large cost.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that this is moving in the right direction for you. :)

bugfartboy

I erased the attack code already. I do remember that part of it went something like

grantsAtk="Glare/Soar"

I had checked every other portion of the line for errors and it was all okay. grantsAtk was the only part that wasn't working the way I wanted.

It seemed a little odd to me that the game wouldn't boost your max PsP before restoring PsP, so you could take full effect of the restoration. Same with health.

CraigStern

Ah--I figured out the issue, I think. The game actually boosts current and max PsP / health simultaneously, but the hit point bar animation wasn't taking account of the increased maximum, so it probably looked like it was not factoring it in. That's now fixed for the next update.

I'm still not sure why that grantsAtk code wouldn't work; it looks okay to me. Did you update your demo install yesterday?