News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on March 30, 2013, 12:43:33 AMany idea when a modding guide will be released for maps?

Not sure. The map tiles are formatted in such a way as to make it easy to spot errors while also supporting custom tilesets; they're not designed to be hand-edited. For actually editing those things, I highly recommend using the map editor.

Quote from: SmartyPants on March 30, 2013, 12:54:07 PM
Will there be any more story or character updates on the kickstarter?

Possibly; I'd rather avoid tying myself down, though. My writing style is such that I like to write things, then edit, and edit, and edit...if I commit to certain things on KS, it limits my flexibility. And the ultimate goal with the narrative is to deliver the best, most compelling story I can, not to make commitments about it before I know how it's going to pan out.

bugfartboy

What is the advantage of xml files over txt files?

CraigStern

From my end, there are a lot of really good "off the shelf" tools for parsing XML files; txt files don't have that same level of support.

From your end, pretty much anything that can edit txt files can edit XML files.

bugfartboy

Your first answer was the one I was looking for. I have found that Notepad ++ has a definite advantage against a basic text editor, such as regular Notepad.

bugfartboy

I don't feel like creating a Reddit account to ask you questions, when I can do it here.

Do you have any plans for after Telepath Tactics?

CraigStern

Yes; I want to make one of two possible games. I'm not sure which I'll go for just yet. We'll see!

bugfartboy

Is the new scoring feature somthing that can be used in scripts? Example: recieve an amount of gold equal to .4 of your score?

CraigStern

I like that idea; I'll keep that in mind. ;)

bugfartboy

Is it possible to create a character that visually takes up four spaces on a map in TT? Or will it require theoretical smoke and mirrors? Even more importantly, to me anyway, is it possible to create an attack that affects a 2x2 square? Or will this too require extra modding magic?

CraigStern

All characters are 1 space; you'll need smoke and mirrors to accomplish something that appears as something bigger.

Custom AOE configurations are not yet supported, and 2 x 2 isn't one of the built in ones. That's something I'd like to change, though.

TheWanderingShadow

What do you think is the benefit, in turn-based games, to have units trade attacks blow for blow(ala Fire Emblem, though I'm sure there are a bunch of other examples)?
_   _   _   ___     ___     _   _    ___   |  |
\ \/  \/ / '| _  \  / / \ \  |  \| |  / /  _  |_|
\_/\_ /   |_|\'\  \ \ / /  |_\_ |  \ \_./   O

CraigStern

Counterattacks, you mean? In games where each player can move is or her entire team at once (i.e. where individual character turns aren't divided between the players), counterattacks are a buffer against the first player to strike being able to totally overwhelm the other.

SmartyPants

In one of the Kickstarter updates, you said that Jinns may inhabit dead bodies.  Does that mean that Jinns can become psychic zombies?

CraigStern

Quote from: SmartyPants on April 30, 2013, 01:13:57 PM
In one of the Kickstarter updates, you said that Jinns may inhabit dead bodies.  Does that mean that Jinns can become psychic zombies?

Effectively, yes--but I'm so bored to death of zombies that I'm hesitant to actually make use of this in a game. Maybe if I can think of something interesting to accomplish with it.

SmartyPants

Zombies can still be fun as long as you avoid undead clichés like infectious diseases, flesh eating, and necromancy.