News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Ask the developer a question!

Started by CraigStern, February 07, 2010, 11:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugfartboy

Do they need actual content? (Aside from the important tags at the beginning and end)

~Edit~
It might have also helped if I had Introduction.xml in the maps folder.

CraigStern

Not sure; I haven't ever experimented with leaving them blank. You could experiment, but it's probably safest to just copy-paste the Kovit ones and edit as needed.

bugfartboy

For future reference: The game doesn't seem to mind when the files are nearly empty. I left the important tags in, and removed everything else. It worked regardless.

I know that Character leveling is disabled in Multiplayer, but is it possible in Singleplayer?

~Edit~
I'm seeing stats with numbers assigned to them inside the OnLevelUp tags. Is this the probability of that particular stat being picked? If so, would setting all of them to 0 essentially nullify the effects of leveling up?

Is it possible to use a negative range on attacks without disabling the game?

What specific impact does Aptitude have on Hero training cost? Percentage or otherwise.

(I realize I'm asking a good number of questions, and I apologize. I should slow down and eventually let up once I feel I understand enough.) :)

CraigStern

Yes, the numbers in OnLevelUp correlate to a stat's probability of selection. Setting them all to zero might glitch out the game; if it doesn't, though, it would just mean no stat gain on level up.

Don't set attack range to a negative; it will likely crash the game.

Aptitude is not a stat in Telepath Tactics, and there is no built-in character training. You can add those in via custom variables and dialog if you like.

bugfartboy

I knew it wasn't in TT. I meant in previous games: TRPG2 and TSoG.

CraigStern

Ah.

I believe the formula differed a little bit between the games. In TSoG, the gold cost for training a given stat was always reduced by 10 times the character's Aptitude, with a minimum cost to train of 35 gold.

bugfartboy

I'm trying to add custom characters to a map, but the editor isn't registering anything from CharClasses.xml in my Campaign folder. I'm sure I've done something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I modeled my lines after those in Kovit's CharClasses.xml. Any ideas as to what I may have done wrong?

CraigStern

Make sure it's drawing from the correct Class Pool.

bugfartboy

I select the proper Class Pool, and every selection for adding a unit vanishes. It does return if I cancel adding a unit.

CraigStern

You have the str attribute twice in all of your OnLevelUp tags for some reason. Make sure you don't duplicate attributes like that--it messes with the parser! ;)

bugfartboy

It works now. I'll keep in mind that repetition isn't friendly when it comes to writing. Thanks Craig!

SmartyPants

How do I pull up the menu?  I can't figure out how to save my game or how to exit my game without pulling up the task manager.

CraigStern

The game just autosaves right now. You can quit to the main menu by using Shift + Control + Q or by right-clicking and selecting quit from the right-click menu. (The right-click menu will be replaced by a proper menu at some point.)

bugfartboy

Does the game require at least one unit to be on the map to load it?

Quote from: CraigStern on May 05, 2013, 07:01:33 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of that exploit. I'm planning to fix it sooner or later.
Awwww

CraigStern

Quote from: bugfartboy on May 05, 2013, 07:13:17 PM
Does the game require at least one unit to be on the map to load it?

Try it and see. ;)