News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

voice acting

Started by Xemadus Echina, April 20, 2010, 06:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW781

Hmmm
I agree, his Father calls him son, and he jokes about being romantic with Rahel, but I did seem to think the Hero was still supposed to be gender-neutral
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Xemadus Echina

I doubt his own father would mistake his gender though so there would have to be a variety of edits to the story line to keep the hero gender neutral.  Also I'm pretty sure that in TRPG when you select "play along" in the bar where you can get some extra money from the drunk person that kinda leads more towards being a guy.  And also I'm reasonably sure that David refers to the main as his brother and I think in TRPG the uncle refers to the main as his nephew.  But this brings me to one of the reasons I started this thread, need anybody to do voice acting for characters that would sound demonic? :)
im writing a book!
http://sinisterdesign.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0;topicseen
heres a free verse poem I wrote for school
You never know
Just what you will find after you
Lost your favorite thing. But
The important thing is that the
Game you play will help you to get by.

CraigStern

I can't think of any characters that need to sound demonic, truth be told. I appreciate the offer, though. :)

As for hero gender: the TRPG hero is gender neutral, and Duvalier is male. (The bar scene in TRPG1, where the hero "plays along," can mean 1) a male playing along, pretending to be female, or 2) a female playing along, pretending to be interested in the guardsman.)

MikeW781

Quote from: CraigStern on April 25, 2010, 03:15:45 PM
I can't think of any characters that need to sound demonic, truth be told. I appreciate the offer, though. :)
Have him do Duvaliers voice when he says he like that Rahel is vunerable :)
or, as a serious suggesion, Yawah
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

SmartyPants

Quote from: mikew781 on April 25, 2010, 03:47:49 PM
Quote from: CraigStern on April 25, 2010, 03:15:45 PM
Have him do Duvaliers voice when he says he like that Rahel is vunerable :)
I think he would sound more sleazy at that moment then "demonic".

Xemadus Echina

What kind of voices do you need then?

Also with Duvalier, why don't you have some kind of generic name for him?
im writing a book!
You never know

SmartyPants

Quote from: rainen on April 25, 2010, 05:26:01 PM
What kind of voices do you need then?

Also with Duvalier, why don't you have some kind of generic name for him?
Duvalier is his last name.  The player picks his first name.

Duskling

If that is, wouldn't you need a whole cache and more of names to your voice actors? I mean, what if, for example, the name is something like this: vnufhsvkdfyjbhkvdgd, how will you cope with that?

CraigStern

The voice actors' lines omit the player's first name where it sounds natural to do so, and just call him "Duvalier" when it doesn't.

Xemadus Echina

Yea I mean a generic first name though, like in the Final Fantasy games you can rename your characters but they all have generic names that are the default.  Also as a side note it would be nice to be able to rename all of your team members :) I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to implement.  You could either have it be done on the spot or all at the beginning when you name your hero or just have a side bar hidden somewhere and make it an easter egg.
im writing a book!
You never know

CraigStern

Quote from: .:Light-God:. on May 08, 2010, 04:43:57 PMOkay. So when someone starts the game mabye we can choose what gender he/she should be and if that person picks the male one then get a male actor (Get the man to do the script that duliver says and save it) or if the person chooses female then you can get a female actress (Get the female to do the script that dulivar says and save it)  ???

I thought about that, but it would mean a huge amount of extra work. Not only would I need two sets of animations for everything the hero does, and two sets of voice actors, but every line referring to Duvalier in pronoun form would need two versions, which means they'd have to be recorded twice.

So, as cool as it would be to be able to pick gender, I'm not convinced that it would be worth the trouble on my end of things. :(

SmartyPants

I prefer not having the choice of gender, because it leaves more room for character development.

Dorgon 5000

Is this voice acting thing such a good idea? It would be inpossible to find good voice actors for all characters, and if only some of them have voice actors, it would feel very strange.

Tastidian

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 25, 2010, 09:42:44 AM
Quote from: mikew781 on April 25, 2010, 08:40:27 AM
Quote from: im2smart4u on April 24, 2010, 08:09:17 PM
Quote from: mikew781 on April 24, 2010, 04:59:58 PMthe main can't really have a voice
What makes you say that?
Well, we want the main to appear gender-neutral, and age neutral to a degree that he can realistically seem like the player. Great pains are usually taken in TRPG games to ensure that the Hero is never so much as referred to as o boy or a girl
The TSoG Hero is a dude, while the TRPG2 Hero is gender-neutral.  Their are multiple hints in the game that shows that the new Hero is a dude.

In the beginning of the game it says your character is male when you name him.