News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Chances for the Peoples' Resistance

Started by CraigStern, April 26, 2010, 09:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigStern

After reading this study on the characteristics of insurgencies that win and insurgencies that lose, I got to thinking: what are the chances for the Peoples' Resistance in TSoG? What do you think?

Guye

Well seeing as the government is consistently having to shore up its own military forces in order to maintain loyalty, I'd say their position is getting continually weaker. They also don't seem to have much real influence outside the city walls. The Peoples' Resistance seems like its building a solid foundation in the bandit caves, but if they were found they could easily be slaughtered. Of course in this world, unlike ours, people have super psychic powers. Its a fictional universe, where one man can grow to a level of strength as to rain down massive destruction on entire groups of men. While this kind of power benefits both the army and the guerrilla force, I'd say it would aid a guerrilla more. Add that to the fact that while the army DOES seem to use this power, it at least seems to avoid using it in their primary forces. I'd say that the Peoples' Resistance has a pretty slim chance of victory in the beginning, but assuming that they can avoid having their base of operations discovered (or that they have an appropriate escape/backup plan) they will only grow and the Army will continue to lose men. Of course, maybe I'm overestimating the role the "Gift" will play in this conflict, but I doubt it.

Steelfist

I agree, but the peoples resistance doesn't have many powerful psy's. Yet.

But, anyway, the peoples resistance HAVE to win; What would be the point of the game otherwise! ;)

Guye

Zhampir

heh, the cult doesn't use "psys" now but keep in mind, the is likely the first draft.
I'm hopefull that we'll see some high-powered psy cultists.

SmartyPants

The government highlights the importance of a strong government.  From what I can tell, the Cult has a strong government.  One of the biggest factors are the people of the nation.  I am unsure if most citizens support the new government or if they wish for the overthrow of the Theocracy.  The one with the greater support usually wins.

torugo

Quote from: Zhampir on April 26, 2010, 02:37:26 PM
heh, the cult doesn't use "psys" now but keep in mind, the is likely the first draft.
I'm hopefull that we'll see some high-powered psy cultists.

zhampir is right the cult completely despises psy's and are imprisoning anyone who gets accused of having the gift
mock the pheonix you will burn

MikeW781

I think they have a good chance, especially if the other nations help out. Considering you can already get 50 soldiers from the madrid, this seems likely. Next, the Cult is currently behaving in an almost suicidal manner, imprisoning the most powerful commoners, Psys, aggravating the shadowling-spriggat nation, and the bandits, and the other clans. Even the acadamey is probably annoyed at them for their ant-Psy ideas. Its a wonder that the Cult hasn't been overthrown already, but then again the angry and resentful need a leader. The peoples resistance can fill this void, and lead the whole of Cera Bella to war. Provided that Yawah doesn't just kill all of them.........
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

SmartyPants

Quote from: mikew781 on April 26, 2010, 05:14:17 PM
I think they have a good chance, especially if the other nations help out. Considering you can already get 50 soldiers from the madrid, this seems likely. Next, the Cult is currently behaving in an almost suicidal manner, imprisoning the most powerful commoners, Psys, aggravating the shadowling-spriggat nation, and the bandits, and the other clans. Even the acadamey is probably annoyed at them for their ant-Psy ideas. Its a wonder that the Cult hasn't been overthrown already, but then again the angry and resentful need a leader. The peoples resistance can fill this void, and lead the whole of Cera Bella to war. Provided that Yawah doesn't just kill all of them.........
The Cult is also hiring mercenaries to make up for the purged Guardsmen.  Based on the mob of Mission 4, they also have a fanaticly loyal group of followers which would make very dangerous soldiers.  I also don't think Psys are very dangerous without any trainning, so having them as scape-goats wouldn't hurt them too much.

MikeW781

mercenaries are rarely as effective as people fighting for their freedom
besides, we could have the nameless one train them all in at least basic techniques

DJ23

gonna agree with mike

maybe with VERY high persuasiveness and a lot of hard work the hero will continue to gain the trust of other clans and stand a better fighting chance against the cult and of course get help from more civil people who just hate the cult

SmartyPants

Quote from: mikew781 on April 26, 2010, 06:32:56 PM
mercenaries are rarely as effective as people fighting for their freedom
besides, we could have the nameless one train them all in at least basic techniques
Highly trained, well equipped mercenaries are better soldiers then poorly armed rebels.  That is why mercenary Mike Hoare and his men were easily able to fight off rebels in the Congo. 

I don't think it is possible for one man being to be able to single handly train an entire army.

MikeW781

The peoples resistance seems much better equipped in comparison to the Cult than enslaved Africans in the imperial age did to the Belgians. That was maxim guns versus primitve weapons. The current peoples resistance soldiers (your team) seem just as well armed as their strongest foes (so far) and I believe that with Baz's help, the clans help, possibly help from the Shadowling-Spriggat nation, and maybe even the Gelf nation, the Resistance's rescued men could become well equipped.

Barzul

I'm sure that as long as fate keeps intervening to give the People's Resistance another chance they'll do fine.  ;)

SmartyPants

Quote from: mikew781 on April 27, 2010, 07:00:26 PM
The peoples resistance seems much better equipped in comparison to the Cult than enslaved Africans in the imperial age did to the Belgians. That was maxim guns versus primitve weapons. The current peoples resistance soldiers (your team) seem just as well armed as their strongest foes (so far) and I believe that with Baz's help, the clans help, possibly help from the Shadowling-Spriggat nation, and maybe even the Gelf nation, the Resistance's rescued men could become well equipped.
So far, the Resistance is less armed then the bandits from mission 2, while the Ravianle Guard has well armed bowmen, spearmen, and swordsmen.  The cult also has many powerful psys of their own.

The Resistance is at a disadvantage, so only great tactics could give them the edge.