News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Thoughts on current administration (of the country(s))

Started by The Holy namelesskitty, June 25, 2010, 06:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Holy namelesskitty

QuoteI think it is wrong to raise taxes so the government can control things that they shouldn't be controling like health care, car companies, retirement savings, student loans, and est.  Taxes should only be spent on stuff like regulation, defence, security, and infrastructure.
Do you not want centralized health care, why not, it stands to save the lives of tens of millions of people, do you wish harm towards those people who currently can't afford health care? also the tax increases are only on people who can afford it, like CEOs and the sort.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

SmartyPants

Medicaid is need to help the very poor and Medicare is met to help the elderly.  Centralized health care takes away a person's ability to take care of their famlily.  Instead of purchasing good health care, we have to hope that the government rationed health care will treat the illness that afflicts our family.  In countries with socialized health care, bureaucrats can deem some illnesses to expensive to treat, so tough luck to people who get that disease.  That is why some Canadians go to the US for treatment.

The rich already pay an unfair percentage of their income in taxes.  The government and people like you don't mind spending alot of other people's money.  The top 5% earners already pay 53.8% of all individual income taxes which is about a third of their income.  Taking away a third of the money they earn isn't enough, so what percent does seem fair?  Why don't they keep working hard for their money and then we take awat 100% of their income, so we can redistribute the wealth?

The Holy namelesskitty

FYI, I might be in that tax bracket.

as for Medicare and Medicaid, they can do the same thing, perhaps the US could adopt the same policies as Australia, they have amazing health care and lower taxes (if you count all taxes including sales, income (state and country), and homeowners taxes.
THE CAT IS BACK!!!!!!1!!!

my telepath LP :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuA3DfguEic

SmartyPants

FACT CHECK
Quote from: FACT CHECKObama did not wait to make that case to Congress, despite his past statements that presidents should get congressional authorization before taking the country to war, absent a threat to the nation that cannot wait.

"The president does not have the power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation," he told The Boston Globe in 2007 in his presidential campaign. "History has shown us time and again ... that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the legislative branch."

Obama's defense secretary, Robert Gates, said Sunday that the crisis in Libya "was not a vital national interest to the United States, but it was an interest."

bugfartboy

Hmm... Seems a little hypocritical of him. And I thought it was Congress and Congress only that could declare war. Article 1 Section 10. If a State can't do it without being in danger, what says the President can?

ArtDrake

It's not a war, smarty.

By the way, if you really are interested in the facts -- not just the facts you like:

Quote from: The Constitution of the United States of America: Article I, Section 8, Clause 11
[Congress shall have Power...] To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal [which are authorization for a private vessel to attack the enemies of the state], and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

This is not a declared war, and it's also a UN-sanctioned attack and a signed resolution, which gives the emergency resolution in the UN authorization to supercede the Constitution, under Article VI, Section 2, Clause 2:

Quote from: The Constitution: Article VI, Section 2, Clause 2
[And] all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land

I hope this answers any questions you may have concerning the Constitutionality of the military attack on Libya, and whether Obama is violating the basic laws of this country. I also hope you realize that if Obama had waited to recieve the approval of Congress, the Libyan rebels wouldn't be able to remove from power an unjust and oppressive dictator.

Ironically, "FACT CHECK" is not in the possession of all the facts, or, smarty, you're misinterpreting them.

Zackirus

I would want to praise the Canadian Government right now, but I can't. I don't know how many of you guys know this or not, but there is an Election going on in Canada right now.

I personally want to see the conservatives get a majority government because of two reasons. 1. If the conservatives don't get a majority, the liberals will form a coalition which the NDP and Bloc (A Separatist Party) which would extremely risky for Canada to go through right now. 2. Michael Ignatieff, the leader of the liberals, just recently appeared back in Canada, after leaving to the states for 30 years. And now he suddenly wants to come back and be Prime Minister? Sounds fishy to me.

Although, the Conservatives have their downside too. Getting a non-confidence vote from the other 3 parties because his party was found in contempt. And sometimes it can seem like he is a bit too conservative. He also recently spent money on 26 new fighter jets and better prisons.

Its your call though, A Strong Conservative Majority with a bit of mis-ethics, or a Liberal Lead Coalition that is unstable. Here are the parties:

Conservatives: Right Wing
Liberals: Center Wing/Right Wing
NDP: Left Wing/Social democracy
Bloc: Social democracy (want Quebec to separate from Canada)

I have a question for non-Canadians. Who would you vote for?
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

The Liberals, if they weren't coallitioning.

Since they are, however, I'd have to say the Republicans. Wait, are you getting voting advice from a website devoted to a game?  :o

Zackirus

Quote from: Duckling on April 02, 2011, 08:16:42 PM
The Liberals, if they weren't coallitioning.

Since they are, however, I'd have to say the Republicans. Wait, are you getting voting advice from a website devoted to a game?  :o

One, I'm not old enough to vote. Second, I want to see what Non-Canadians think about our election. Third, The Republicans!?! Their the Conservatives! There is a difference!
If The World Was A Bit More Like Canada, Then We Would Have A Great World, And Hockey 24/7

- Lord Canada

bugfartboy

You're old enough to vote? Or did you leave out the "not"?

Zackirus

Quote from: Bugfartboy on April 02, 2011, 08:50:45 PM
You're old enough to vote? Or did you leave out the "not"?

Thanks for catching that. But yes, I'm not old enough to vote.

- Lord Canada

ArtDrake

Well, as long as the Republican isn't a lunatic, and as long as the threat of Quebec's separation is imminent because of this coallition, yes.

SmartyPants

Ignoring the fact that the Obama criticises Bush for the Iraq War despite Bush getting congressional approval and that the War Powers Resolution requires Obama to get congressional approval for committing armed forces to military action, lets pretend this military attack isn't a "war".  Candidate Obama said, "The president does not have the power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation."  Libya isn't niether an "actual or imminent threat to the nation", so according to candidate Obama, President Obama is knowingly doing something unconstitutional when he authorized a military attack on Libaya without even attempting to get congressional approval.

I never understood the appeal for Quebec to succeed from the rest of Canada.

ArtDrake

The president himself does not have this power. If he agrees to, along with multiple other countries, it's within his power.

In short, the president has the power to authorize the use by NATO, and by the UN, of US forces, but not to send them by himself.

If you're going to bring up the War Powers Resolution, you may want to know that it says that the president [Obama] must notify Congress within 48 hours, and also must withdraw forces after sixty days if Congress's approval has not been achieved by this time. Neither the Constitution nor the War Powers Resolution forbids his actions at the moment. I believe Candidate Obama, when he said your oft-quoted quote, meant for longer than sixty days. The Iraq "War" lasted significantly longer than sixty days, and troops certainly did not attempt to withdraw by ninety.

Ertxiem

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 04, 2011, 02:37:55 PM
I never understood the appeal for Quebec to succeed from the rest of Canada.
Me neither... anyone has an explanation?
Ert, the Dead Cow.
With 2 small Mandelbrot sets as the spots.