News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Thoughts on current administration (of the country(s))

Started by The Holy namelesskitty, June 25, 2010, 06:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtDrake

Oh? Then can you explain how the Controlled Substances Act remains Constitutional? I may have to cite Reid v. Covert in that case.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on April 17, 2011, 06:15:30 PMThen can you explain how the Controlled Substances Act remains Constitutional?
Can you explain how the Controlled Substances Act is unconstitutional?

ArtDrake

Yes. It violates the states' rights to put their own laws upon trade within the state. States have rights -- all those not specifically granted to the federal government, as per the Tenth Amendment.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on April 19, 2011, 08:42:43 PMYes. It violates the states' rights to put their own laws upon trade within the state. States have rights -- all those not specifically granted to the federal government, as per the Tenth Amendment.
Basically, Wickard v. Filburn said the Commerce Clause has allowed the federal government do almost anything that has any effect on the economy.  For example, Obama said the Commerce Clause allows him to mandate health insurance, because being alive is considered commerce.

ArtDrake

No. The Supreme Court ruled against Filburn because his activities affected interstate trade, because wheat was traded nationally. Marijuana does not have such a national trade; it grows most anywhere, and cultivation and distribution is nearly completely local. The United States can outlaw interstate trade of anything, but if the interstate trade is cut off, the product is no longer traded nationally, and no further Commerce Clause restrictions apply.

Health insurance applies because the market is national; people travel between states to recieve it, and health insurers operate in multiple states. But if there is no interstate trade, the intrastate trade cannot be regulated as per the Tenth Amendment.

Deagonx

I believe in evolution. How else would Charmander become Charizard?

ArtDrake

Now that you've agreed to that, with the reservation that marijuana drug isn't a drug, which simply isn't true, you've implied that if marijuana does in fact turn out to be a drug, you agree.

Marijuana drug has effects on the functioning of the brain. Therefore, it is a drug. Therefore, you agree. Good: I need all the supporters I can get!

Deagonx

My computer is a drug, it affects my brain.

My friends are a drug, they help me make decisions, thus effecting my brain.

Silly little duckling, with that logic everything is a drug.

Air is a drug, it gives chemicals to you that effect your brain.

IMO, for something to be a drug it has to be manmade, or have something specific done to it.

So stop with the ignorant textbook definitions. Everything around me has an effect on my brain. Therefore, everything is a drug.

ArtDrake

I honestly thought you would be more insightful than that. If you truly don't want a definition that fully explains the meaning of the word drug, I'm going to have to give it to you.

"A drug... is any substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function."

"A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction."

You can stop with the ad hominem, deagonx.
Were I silly, that would not affect the validity of my argument.
Were I little, neither would that affect the validity of my argument.
Were I silly and little, that, too, would not affect the validity of my argument.
I am neither silly nor little.
That said, you bring nothing of value or accuracy to the discussion with that particular labeling of me, DemonDuck.

IYO, drugs can be chickens for all it matters, but according to standard English, drug means the aforementioned. If you are using a differing dialect of English, please inform me. Not all drugs are manmade.

And finally, "affect" is a verb, and a noun meaning something completely unrelated. Talk to Craig about that.
"Effect" is the noun form of affect, and one that affects may have an effect.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Duckling on April 20, 2011, 06:36:26 PMNo. The Supreme Court ruled against Filburn because his activities affected interstate trade, because wheat was traded nationally. Marijuana does not have such a national trade; it grows most anywhere, and cultivation and distribution is nearly completely local. The United States can outlaw interstate trade of anything, but if the interstate trade is cut off, the product is no longer traded nationally, and no further Commerce Clause restrictions apply.
I don't think you understood Wickard v. Filburn.  Roscoe Filburn had no intention of selling his wheat, but by growing wheat, he effected the supply and demand which gives the federal government jurisdiction under the Commerce Clause.  Congress has the right to eliminate the supply and trade of any protect due to the Commerce Clause.

Quote from: Duckling on April 20, 2011, 06:36:26 PMHealth insurance applies because the market is national; people travel between states to recieve it, and health insurers operate in multiple states. But if there is no interstate trade, the intrastate trade cannot be regulated as per the Tenth Amendment.
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can buy insurance across state lines, because of all the conflicting state health care laws.  The Republicans' plan was to try to allow consumers to buy over state lines, so competition increases which causes prices to drop.  You didn't hear much about the plan because it was overshadowed by Obama's plan to socialize health care.

Deagonx

Oh, please excuse me for getting the 2 mixed up.

Except, the thing is: Weed doesn't alter normal body function. I cannot tell the difference, only thing is: They seem happier

Im confused why you are trying to keep people from being happy.

bugfartboy

Okay. Getting off topic here. Can you redirect the marijuana talk to it's thread?

Deagonx

Marijuana is a large part of current administration of countries.

SmartyPants

Quote from: Deagonx on April 20, 2011, 10:46:30 PMMarijuana is a large part of current administration of countries.
For example, you had to be high to vote for the new health care bill.

Deagonx

Quote from: im2smart4u on April 20, 2011, 11:58:11 PM
Quote from: Deagonx on April 20, 2011, 10:46:30 PMMarijuana is a large part of current administration of countries.
For example, you had to be high to vote for the new health care bill.

I lol'ed

Wait, is that some sort of pothead crack at me? because I don't smoke...