News:

Welcome to the new Sinister Design forums!

Main Menu

Defining an RPG

Started by torugo, July 01, 2010, 08:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torugo

a lot of people are having trouble telling what an rpg is so ill tell you how to tell the difference.
rpg stands for
role
playing
game
which are games that are turn based. if the game is not turn based it is not an rpg
mock the pheonix you will burn

Duskling

Not all RPGs are turn-based... I don't think that Fallout 3 is turn-based (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never played it).

Cypher

I know various RPGs that aren't turn-based.

Bromtaghon

Quote from: torugo on July 01, 2010, 08:26:49 PM
a lot of people are having trouble telling what an rpg is so ill tell you how to tell the difference.
rpg stands for
role
playing
game
which are games that are turn based. if the game is not turn based it is not an rpg
Role-playing means that you assume a role in the game.  Game, well, I assume you know what that means.
What part of that says 'it can't be turn based?'
If it's part of the definition that's fine with me, but your acronym analyzation was somewhat mootable.
Quote from: Tastidian on July 02, 2010, 02:52:50 AM
He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends.

Current Elemental Master of Cryokinesis.

Steelfist

An RPG doesn't have to be turn based, although many are. I fail to see the logic; why would a role-playing game have to be turn based?

I believe the example of the non-turn based RPG Fallout has already been used, so I will draw your attention to Oblivion.

Duskling

I'm pretty sure there are also turn-based non-RPG games, so RPGs don't have to be turn-based.

Bromtaghon

Exactly, Dusk- that's what we're saying.  Whether or not it's turn-based does not affect whether or not it's an RPG.
Quote from: Wikipedia
A role-playing game (RPG) is a broad family of games in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within the game succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.
Quote from: Wikipedia
Online text-based role-playing games involve many players using some type of text-based interface and an Internet connection to play an RPG. Games played in a real-time way include MUDs, MUSHes, and other varieties of MU*. Games played in a turn-based fashion include play-by-mail games and play-by-post games.

Steelfist

Although, I must admit, the majority of RPGs are turn based or have turn based features. Still, saying that all are is a vast over-generalisation.

torugo

there is no such thing as a non turn based ROLE PLAYING GAME. which is taking turns.
if so name 20
mock the pheonix you will burn

MikeW781

Quote from: torugo on July 02, 2010, 08:33:05 PM
there is no such thing as a non turn based ROLE PLAYING GAME. which is taking turns.
if so name 20
Really? You can role play without taking turns. What makes you think this?

But, for arguements sake, ill start this list:
Elder Scrolls 1: Arean
Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
World of Warcraft
Currently tied with Zack for the title of Master of Light!

Duskling

if so name 20
Erm... role playing means playing a role... as in: playing a role in history, not taking turns.

Bromtaghon

I agree with Dusk, nothing in Role Playing Game suggests it must be turn-based.
if so name 20
Isn't that a bit unreasonable? I doubt most people know twenty RPGs.  At least, I don't. 
In any case, it's still an invalid argument.  Can you name twenty movies in which Taylor Lautner has starred? I'd guess not.  But does that mean he's never acted in a movie? No.

Zhampir

Yeah... Taking Turns typically says it's a turn-by-turn game (uh durr?)
RPG, as people have stated, means a Role-Playing game, in such, it means any game where you have a choice of character or gameplay, and this much be a distinguished feature of the game. Halo(campaign) is not a roleplaying game, as you must be a character, and the only customization is found in the weapons you use.
Pokemon is a roleplaying game. Even though you can't change your character, and have a limited choice on what you do, you can decide your team and their attacks, which is the defining feature of Pokemon (the Pokemon, again, pretty obvious) While Pokemon is turn-by-turn it is not the defining feature.
And even in the begining Final Fantassy's they got out of common turn by turn by giving speed bars to players, which changes the order by "turn" consistantly, turning the battle system into a "Real-time" game.

The idea that RPG's are defined by a "turn-by-turn" battle system, is, absolutely, ridiculously ludicrous. I don't think that E3, IGN, Gameinformers and the like would give awards saying "Greatest RPG of the Year" away to a non-rpg game. After all, they're the experts on games. Nuff said.

Duskling

So... how exactly would Role-Playing Game be a synonym for "Turn-Based Game," torugo? Please come up with an explanation or your arguement won't be valid, I mean, do you have any evidence that RPGs have to be turn-based? If so, please state them when you see the question.

Steelfist

I'm not sure there is an explanation.